Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am planning on getting a Canon TI1...
Just wondering if that is a good entry level SLR?

TIA
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,389 Posts
Yes.

In all honesty, any DSLR at that level would be great for beginners. Any reason why you chose Canon in particular?

Just my take on Canon's three Rebels:

Canon Rebel XS/1000D
  • Live View
  • 10.1MP Sensor
  • 7-Point AF
  • $400 used, $500 new
Canon Rebel T1i/500D
  • Live View
  • 15MP Sensor
  • Video Mode (Automatic Only)
  • 9-Point AF
  • 3200 ISO, Customized expandable up to 12,800
  • Improved Metering
  • $585 used, $680 new
Canon Rebel T2i/550D
  • Live View
  • 18MP Sensor
  • Video Mode (Manual Operation Capable)
  • 9-Point AF
  • Best Metering
  • 6400 ISO, Customized expandable up to 12,800
  • $830 used, $900 new
Personally, if video isn't a need for you, I'd buy the Rebel XS and focus on spending the extra money on some lenses. I'd recommend the 55-250mm for long-range shots, 85mm f/1.8 for portraits, or 28mm f/1.8 for landscape.

And of course, before you buy the camera, make sure you try it out in the store. Some bodies are more comfortable to people than others, and since it's all personal taste, you yourself have to be the judge.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Calamity

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason why I want to go with canon is that I have an older canon (can't remember the model) and I really like their cameras.
I was going to be shooting some video, that is why I was thinking of going with the Ti1.
I do have some extra money so I just might pick up a lens as well, we will have to see though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
The reason why I want to go with canon is that I have an older canon (can't remember the model) and I really like their cameras.
I was going to be shooting some video, that is why I was thinking of going with the Ti1.
I do have some extra money so I just might pick up a lens as well, we will have to see though.
Just be aware that with the T1i, you're limited to shooting video in automatic settings. You won't be allowed to control any aspect of the exposure. With the T2i, you're given complete control over the camera in video mode (aperture, ISO)

If that isn't a problem for you, you should check out POTN. T1is go for ~$550 on there, which is a lot cheaper than refurbs from Adorama.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't mind not controlling the aspect ratio, I should be good with just automatic, if anything I will just upgrade cameras in a few years.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
I don't mind not controlling the aspect ratio, I should be good with just automatic, if anything I will just upgrade cameras in a few years.
Think you misread me there; I said you won't be able to control any aspect of the exposure, not the aspect ratio
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by r31ncarnat3d View Post
Think you misread me there; I said you won't be able to control any aspect of the exposure, not the aspect ratio

aye I did misread, but that is fine. As I said, I can upgrade later or just get a proper video camera later.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
aye I did misread, but that is fine. As I said, I can upgrade later or just get a proper video camera later.
No worries! Like I said, if you want a cheaper price and don't mind a used camera, you should check out POTN's marketplace. It's a pretty great marketplace. Consider it the OCN of Canon DSLRs. If not, Adorama sells the cheapest refurbs I can find and their new cameras are often the lowest prices on the internet.

Enjoy your new camera
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weedvender View Post
If you are looking to get a camera without video and want it to be relatively cheap, look into the 40D.
Heavy camera though. My wrist hurts a bit now after taking some shots with my gripped 50D for a few days. Definitely heftier than my old XTi!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,343 Posts
someone needs to shoot more
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mz-n10 View Post
someone needs to shoot more
Someone needs to get used to a magnesium allow body instead of a polycarbonate one! Switching to my 50mm f/1.8 exclusively for a while to make my life a bit easier.

And I'm sure there's a few people on here that are laughing at me right now...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by r31ncarnat3d View Post
Someone needs to get used to a magnesium allow body instead of a polycarbonate one! Switching to my 50mm f/1.8 exclusively for a while to make my life a bit easier.

And I'm sure there's a few people on here that are laughing at me right now...

only a little.

Seriously though, i would love to get an even better camera than this T1i, but hey, gotta work with what you got
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by r31ncarnat3d
View Post

Someone needs to get used to a magnesium allow body instead of a polycarbonate one! Switching to my 50mm f/1.8 exclusively for a while to make my life a bit easier.

And I'm sure there's a few people on here that are laughing at me right now...




Not as much as I would like to. But, as what has been said before, someone needs to shoot more.

Try a gripped Nikon D300 with the 14-24mm F2.8 and a SB900.
Joy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,343 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
The reason why I want to go with canon is that I have an older canon (can't remember the model) and I really like their cameras.
I was going to be shooting some video, that is why I was thinking of going with the Ti1.
I do have some extra money so I just might pick up a lens as well, we will have to see though.
I forgot to reply to the op.....

The t1i is a great camera but with the limited video control i personally would get the older xsi and with the money saved pick up a camcorder.

You might also want to consider the nikon d3100, pentax kx or the Sony a33. Image quality on all beginners dslr are nearly the same but there are major trade offs between features.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mz-n10 View Post
I forgot to reply to the op.....

The t1i is a great camera but with the limited video control i personally would get the older xsi and with the money saved pick up a camcorder.

You might also want to consider the nikon d3100, pentax kx or the Sony a33. Image quality on all beginners dslr are nearly the same but there are major trade offs between features.
Video aside, I don't think there are that many different features among the entry level bodies that are relevent to beginners. Personally, I think the OP should go Canon since he mentioned he likes the Rebel bodies, and to me ergonomics are the biggest factor to me with regards to beginner photography. It's the whole reason why I used to shoot an XTi and not a D3000 or D40.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by r31ncarnat3d View Post

Personally, if video isn't a need for you, I'd buy the Rebel XS and focus on spending the extra money on some lenses. I'd recommend the 55-250mm for long-range shots, 85mm f/1.8 for portraits, or 28mm f/1.8 for landscape.

And of course, before you buy the camera, make sure you try it out in the store. Some bodies are more comfortable to people than others, and since it's all personal taste, you yourself have to be the judge.
This is the route I went, I was going to get the T1i as my entry DSLR, but decided to save some money and went with the XS. I've had it for a couple weeks now and it's been great.

If you don't want/need video, go with the XS, it's a great camera.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,202 Posts
My 30D was my first camera which I bought last year. After using it for a year now I could NEVER see myself go "back" to something like an XS or even an XSi.

The 30d controls are just so nice to have and I love the magnesium alloy body
I find it faster to read the top lcd than the back too. My friend has the T2i which is really nice though, so I'm sure the T1i is just as good albeit a bit older (barely).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,565 Posts
Loving my gripped XSI. Just got the nifty fifty and it's awesome
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top