Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GA-EP45-UD3L motherboard with an E6300 wolfdale pentium dual core CPU and I notice something strange when powering on the system from a cold boot only when overclocking. Here's what I mean. Usually at night when I turn off my pc I also turn off the surge protector (I am guessing it saves a bit more power? correct me if I'm wrong). In the morning when I wake up I turn on the surge protector and then power on my pc. Well whenever I have my CPU bus speed at 266 x 10.5 (2.8ghz, STOCK) the pc will turn on and boot into windows just fine. Now I have my bus speed set at 400 x 9 (3.6ghz) and it runs stably and passes Prime95 for a good 8-9 hrs, without any voltage changes. The problem is that when I cold boot with the overclock in the morning the computer will power on for like a half second, then turn off for a few seconds, then it finally comes on and boots up into windows just fine. I am pretty sure if I leave the surge protector on over night it doesn't do the restarting thing. Maybe the power supply needs a little extra juice before it starts?

The reason I am asking about something so stupid is that I am a little worried that this restarting when booting up everyday could be shortening the life of the components. I am not sure what the issue is... Any input would be appreciated. The rest of the system is this - Corsair Dominator (2 x 2gb) 1066mhz @ 5-6-6-18 2T 2.1 v(everything at recommended manufacturers settings), Antec 1200 case, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512mb, Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb, Antec Earthwatts 650 w PSU.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What happens if you turn on your power bar and also have the supply switched on, and let it warm up like that for about ten minutes before attempting to turn the computer on?

What happens if you hit pause and check out the boot config before it can shutdown, are they the right overclocked settings or something else? Does it just shutdown anyway?

You're probably saving a microwatt or two doing that, but whatever meager amount you're saving is eaten up a thousand fold by the multi rebooting.

·
Premium Member
6,774 Posts
Welcome to OC.net

Go Here And Fill Out System Specs

I would leave the surge protector on. Its not making a difference in your power bill.

Also every time you cold boot it sends a surge of voltage to all your components. That will put more strain on your components than them running 24/7 with a steady stream of power...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From your posts it sounds best to just leave the surge protector on overnight. Since its not really saving any power, thats what I'll do.

To "Rollemup", I've trying turning on the power supply and bar before hand as you say for 10 minutes or even more but it still does the restart thing. I'm not sure what you mean by hitting pause and checking out the boot config before it shuts down. Could you quickly explain to me? I'd like to check that out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I have this mb and mine does the same thing. It hasnt effected my components at all. I rarely turn off my system for any length of time as i fold 24/7 and play WoW when im not folding. When i do reboot from cold(power switch off) it does that every time. If im not home to turn it off in a storm and the power goes off and comes back on, it will cycle like that until i swtich off the power and start it back up. This is one of the best motherboards that i have ever owned so im not complaining about it. It would only have been better if i had gotten the raid version instead.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks JCharles. I appreciate the input. I agree its a very good motherboard and it overclocks well. I'm still getting used to the whole OCing deal, but I believe I am gaining a better understanding of the concepts day by day. I was able to get to 3.6ghz with my E6300 Wolfdale on stock voltages. I actually just posted a new topic about the whole MCH Core voltage on this board, as I upped it from 1.100 to 1.160 and I am worried if it will shorten the life of my board at all (sorry I get a little obsessive about stupid things). The reason I did this was because I jumped to 3.8ghz recently on the CPU and I had climbed to 1.3500 volts on vcore and it was still failing Prime95 blend tests after about 37-40 minutes every time, even after more vcore increases. My RAM was at the factory recommended settings to isolate the issue. I figured the vcore was too high even for this voltage, so I decided to turn down the vcore a bit and try something else (raising other voltages i mean). Just that one increment increase from 1.100 to 1.160 on the MCH Core made a hell of a difference. Prime95 is now stable 3 hours on a blend test.

Please let me know what your OC experiences are with voltages, I'd be interested to hear them.

·
Premium Member
6,774 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RegistrationCop
View Post

Please let me know what your OC experiences are with voltages, I'd be interested to hear them.

Well the MCH is the northbridge chip, the CPU - Ram communicate through it, so higher Freq needs higher voltage...

The CPU Term is you FSB, higher FSB = higher voltage. That goes for both the Cpu Core and Cpu Term.

CPU Pll helps boot to windows, it should be 1.50 - 1.58, if your having issues booting to windows try it a little higher...

Are you still having the boot problems?

PS: Nice OC on the E6300

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I actually never had any problems booting into windows. And my computer was perfectly stable. The issue was when cold booting, the pc will restart once (then turning itself off), after a second or two it will turn on all the way (and boot into windows just fine). Someone else had the same issue with this same board so I'm no worried about it. But thanks for the explanation of the MCH voltage and Termination voltage. You wouldn't happen to know about any of the Reference voltages (like CPU, MCH, ICH)? In some cases I hear after overclocking it is actually better to LOWER them for stability. And I have actually noticed that in HD Tune when checking my HDD for performance I always get this one same error. It says something about how my SATA cable could be defective, but I have used three or four different ones and they were all brand new. It was to no avail. Is it possible that I need to up the ICH Core or ICH I/O voltage values because of the overclock on my northbridge? Sorry, I'm probably jumping the gun here, but I was wondering when you would change these ICH values.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright guys, thanks. I guess the only way to really know how these voltages help is by taking a lot of time and patience to fool around with them. To EduardV, yeah it would be nice to find out a solution to this issue with the restarting after cold booting the pc. What kind of rig do you have? Are you an avid oc'er?

·
Premium Member
6,774 Posts
It could be loading the bios..

Do you guys use the "Save cmos to bios" and "load cmos from bios" features in the bios?

I have min set up with 3 profiles.. Default - Overclock - Bench....

I dont have this issue, however I rarely cold boot. I just put it into sleep mode..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No I had no idea you could set up different profiles. Where is this done? I'd like to try it because it would be helpful in setting up quick overclocks so if I decide to go back to stock temporarily I won't have to change all the settings by hand (and possibly make a mistake).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts