Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ON EDIT - THE GTX LIVES!!! See later post for details ...

So, last night, I go to run 3dMark06 on my sig rig. Turns out the clocks listed are not as stable as I thought, so I downgraded to 720/1584/1350, and fired up the bench. Got myself sidetracked (in my g/f's bedroom, if you catch my drift) while it was running. Came back about an hour later, and my screen was black, my comp frozen. So I reboot ... no video at all. So, the video card is toast.

But that's only where the weirdness begins. I'll spare you guys a long drawn-out explanation of my troubleshooting steps, but here's where I'm at right now: I've thrown my old mobo back in, and my old 4870 1GB, both of which work perfect. I now know that there was nothing wrong with the mb I was using (the GB in my sig), cause I have the same problem no matter which of the two I use, but at one point it looked like that the mb MUST be the problem ... you know how that goes!

ANYways ... so, now (with the old card, and either mobo), when I fire up the PC, I have video all the way to where Windows is about to go to the desktop, and my screen just goes BLACK! I know windows boots okay, but I can't see it. This happens when using my DVI->HDMI converter cable (as my monitor has no DVI input), the same cable as I was using when the 285 fried. Note, it does the EXACT same thing whether or not I boot to XP or Windows 7 beta ... JUST when desktop should be popping up ... screen goes black. The monitor light still shows 'active' signal, I should add.

However, if I swap out that cable and use my dvi->vga adapter, and plug into my monitor's vga port, everything is perfectly normal. I've gamed with Crysis, etc. The old nvidia drivers have been removed, and the catalysts have been installed now. So that's it's good in terms of being able to use the machine ... BUT ... I have to run analog, and that is unacceptable to me.

So I'm thinking I've narrowed this current problem down to one of two things:

1) The digital input of the monitor has been partially knackered, or
2) The dvi-hdmi adapter cable in use during the bench has been partially knackered.

I had no extra's of either on hand as of this AM, so the final post-mortem will have to be tonight after work, when I bring home a new cable.

It's just such a strange thing to me that I can get video all the way up and until right before the desktop, but not afterwards, on dvi-hdmi. It just would seem to me that either a cable works, or it doesn't work. Same way with something like the hdmi input on the monitor. Works, or doesn't.

In any case, let this be a lesson to everyone ... don't leave your benchmarks unattended (even when sex is involved). And I advise you to also be CAREFUL with your GTX285 cards. It seems it's not all that hard to fry them, and take other stuff out along with it...

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Can you go into Windows Safe Mode? Might be a driver issue since you see Windows load.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hmm that is very odd. I have never heard or seen of unstable clocks alone ever killing a card. I'd try some more troubleshooting before trying an RMA.

·
Registered
912 Posts
If it gets to windows loading and then goes blank I'd suspect a driver issue.

·
Premium Member
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To answer an above question, NO, safe mode has the exact same problem.

That is what actually led me to swap out the mobo's initially. I had initially HOPED (even though I *know* I've done the same thing before without this problem) it was a driver issue, since obviously the forceware was still installed, and I was just slapping in a radeon to get it to work ... but I'm pretty sure at this point that it is not driver-related. As I say, forceware has been un-installed, catalyst's are installed, system works perfect with an analog signal. And obviously, when I *first* got video via using the VGA cable, the forceware was still on there. I don't think it's possible that the forceware could be messing up ONLY my digital output, but if anyone's ever seen that before, I'd be keen to hear about it ...

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
I would just make a small partition on a harddrive, install windows and see if you have the problem. If you don't then it's a driver issue...if you do then it's the card/adapter

·
Registered
372 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv
View Post

Got myself sidetracked (in my g/f's bedroom, if you catch my drift) while it was running. Came back about 2 minutes later, and my screen was black, my comp frozen. So I reboot ... no video at all. So, the video card is toast.

fixed it for you. JK

·
Premium Member
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3v0
View Post

Lol leaving benchmarks run for what, 5 minutes?
is not going to harm your cards guys.

Ok, you got me, it was only 5 minutes ... But I still didn't go back to my computer for an hour

Seriously, though, allz I did was exactly what I described ... left 06 running, alone, for an hour, at the relatively mild overclocks I mentioned, came back an hour later and the video card was toast, and not even my old card is working properly now.

It's not like I'm some kinda n00btard, either. I've been building and overclocking PC's since a lot of you guys were in diapers, and this is, bar none, the craziest mishap I've ever had.

And btw, the GTX285 WILL be returned to Fry's. It doesn't work AT ALL. The problems I'm describing are with my old 4870 1GB, which I know is in perfect condition.

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
I would say driver issue. I have heard of cables going bad, however. I also have never heard of an OC destroying anything. (voltage and heat, yes. Corrupting software, yes, but never HW damage)

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,229 Posts
Hmmm.... From what you are saying, I am thinking what everyone else is thinking, a driver issue. Re-install an older forceware and see what happens just to run out the driver issue. As for you cables, get some new ones to make sure those are fine.

·
Premium Member
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenInferno
View Post

I would just make a small partition on a harddrive, install windows and see if you have the problem. If you don't then it's a driver issue...if you do then it's the card/adapter

That's not a bad idea, EXCEPT ...

1) The GTX285 is completely dead, no post, no nothing.
2) I know the current problem is not the card. I'm using my OLD 4870 1GB, which I know works perfect.
3) I've forgotten to remove forceware and installed my radeon card before, and had no problem getting into windows. Like, at least 5 different times in my life.
4) The problem is manifests itself exactly the same way with my windows 7 beta install (admittedly, it also had forceware drivers installed).
5) I lose video even in safe mode.

I'm tellin ya, I've really run pretty much gone down the whole list at this point. My monitor just plain old no longer wants to do digital mode in 1680x1050, possibly not in anything ... apart from 640x480.

I'll come on here and eat crow if I turn out to be wrong, but it really looks at this point like the monitor or the cable got partially fried along with the GTX285.

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Try reinstalling your OS or doing a repair of it. I ended up doing this after almost the exact same thing happened to me and my system worked fine afterward.

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
:Hug: It's RMA time.

I would find a friend first and put the GTX 285 in their computer....when that doesn't work. Then try your monitor on their existing setup. If that doesn't work RMA it too.

·
Premium Member
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dralb
View Post

I would say driver issue. I have heard of cables going bad, however. I also have never heard of an OC destroying anything. (voltage and heat, yes. Corrupting software, yes, but never HW damage)

About 6 months ago I destroyed a 4870 512MB by overclocking it in Rivatuner to like 845 core and playing Clear Sky for about an hour. I got tiny colored dots all over the screen. And in 3d mode, the colored dots never went away, even after I stock-clocked it. With no overvolting, no fan mods, using regular catalyst drivers ... I toasted the card. So it can clearly happen. And it's just happened to me again. And my case temps are just fine.

I should also add that in this particular case, I was using the newest beta forceware. Maybe that played a role in the card not shutting off before it got damaged, but I don't know for sure.

·
Premium Member
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, I'll eat some crow here. I threw the GTX285 in my work machine (thanks to the handy 4pin - 6pin adapter!), and it fired right up!

However, this detail does not 'resolve' the problem, as this card DOESN'T work on my machine at home. Otherwise, my hours of troubleshooting work would never have happened, and you'd not be reading this thread

The best I can figure at this point is that, whatever it was that actually got damaged last night, the problem manifests itself differently depending on which of the two graphics cards I try to use.

The GTX I've only tried using my dvi-hdmi cable, hooked up as it originally was before the mishap. It did not work, I got no post video, no nothing. When I slapped in the ATI card, using dvi-hdmi cable, I got video up to right before the desktop, and then the screen went blank.

Now, this exact same 'screen going blank' happened in XP, in XP safe-mode, and in Windows 7 beta, all at the exact same point relative to the windows desktop appearance (or lack thereof).

This 'different' behavior from the ATI vs the GTX led me to incorrectly assume that the GTX was dead, but I apparently jumped to an incorrect conclusion on this count, and I apologize for sounding such an alarm earlier

When I plugged in the vga cable, using the ATI card, I got into windows just fine. I proceeded to remove the forceware, installed catalyst, and rebooted. Everything was fine, able to game, etc. I then thought, 'okay, wow, it was the driver after all!'. So I tried again to reboot using the dvi-hdmi cable on the ATI card ... and the problem with the blank desktop returned.

So I remain at the point where I'm going to try a different video cable, and if that doesn't work, I'm going to grab another monitor to test with.

If neither of these solve the problem, then I'm going to have to entertain the idea that SOMEHOW there are forceware remnants on my machine that ONLY affect my ATI card when it's in DVI mode and NOT in vga mode.

This seems like quite a stretch as an explanation, though, given that the GTX isn't working AT ALL on the machine in question, but does work at the office. If this WAS the problem, why didn't the machine just work fine when I restarted it the very first time after running the benchs? Why couldn't I even get to safe mode with the ATI card and the dvi/hdmi cable?

Basically, there's no way to logically explain the totality of what I've seen happen without the problem being either the cable, or the monitor.

Unless I get home and the GTX magically starts working on that machine again. Then all bets are off

·
Premium Member
7,146 Posts
Maybe your PSU is dying?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Do you have a second monitor hooked up to your card? Try switching the display ports or hook up a second monitor and check your windows display settings.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts