Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've set this deal to "Max Power Saving" and it has dropped my CPU cores to 795MHz by way of dropping the multiplier to 4x, and dropping the bus speed to about 199MHz.

According to CPU-Z, my Core VID is 0.975 V

My goal is to save as much energy as possible when I leave my machine on at night to do things like transfer files to my PS3 via WLAN. Should I drop the bus speed even more? I have the option of turning on "Chipset Voltage Downgrade" as well. Yay or nay? And there's a further setting to drop the vCore Voltage even more.
What's the lowest voltage I can go before the CPU becomes unstable?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Only your own experimentation will find the lowest stable idle voltage is. Most 955s should run a tick under .9v stable. I did linpack stability tests when I had xp/msrtweaker and couldn't run under .84v.

On the killawatt (I love that thing) the computer saved maybe 1 watt dropping from 1000 MHz to 800 MHz. The drop was more like 2-3 watts savings going from .975v to .88v.

There was little to no savings with C1E on my system (none that I could measure).

You can save 5-10 watts by slowing your RAM speed. It's about a 6-7 watt difference between DDR3-1333 and DDR3-1600 at the same voltage.

Make sure your hard drives are shutting off properly. Speedfan wanted to step on mine if I let it monitor. Four hard drives shutting down in my pc saves about 30 watts.

Speaking of monitors, the monitor is a real power sucker. My old Sony 15" is a miser at 18 watts, where as the 22" Acer I like to use pulls a nasty 65watts.

Your PC fully optimized, you may get it close to 100 watts of power fully idled. Maybe.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts