Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a bunch of Broadwell EP engineering samples are bieng dumped on ebay, one I'm considering is a E5-2699 v4 22 core @ about 1000USD
I'm very, very interested in these.
Now, I know it's technically not legal to sell these, and I'm not concerned about that.
What I am concerned about is the CPUs themselves- do I have a high chance of getting a non-stable chip?
How does the stepping work as far as engineering samples go?
Should I stick only to the boards listed to work with these ES chips by the sellers? Or would any board with an update supporting the final retail product work?
Also, some concerns about sticking them in a dual socket board, which is what I want to do.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
I was asking one of the sellers about that very question and he flatly told me that the ES V4 18 core chip I was looking at would not run in my X99 Deluxe board. He said look at some of the other ES V4 chips that have X99 Deluxe support. It doesn't seem right to me, but who knows?

On ebay you have to be careful, but in my experience they will take back a bad chip if you have problems with it in the first week.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I think the major concerns are that:

1)BIOS update that makes the CPU not work any more. Micro code can also be forced through a Windows update.

2)They aren't the final stepping so they have some bugs still.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSayWhat View Post

I think the major concerns are that:

1)BIOS update that makes the CPU not work any more. Micro code can also be forced through a Windows update.

2)They aren't the final stepping so they have some bugs still.
1- I have not heard of that thus far. That's a good point to bring up, but I'm not sure intel would do that. Better yet, I'm really looking towards making sure I can get a board has a bios flashing utility that doesn't require a cpu, the gigabyte QFlash Plus utility is one i can think of off the top of my head. Either way I could flash back, or modify it myself, long as I can get it working the first time at least..

2 - this is my real concern. I would assume to get one closer to retail would be optimal, but I have no idea what the stepping for ES chips looks like.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
The E5-4650 chips in my 4P rig have the VTx-D bug and won't reliably run virtual machines, so there are probably things that may not work right with the Extra Spicy chips, and you should ask the seller if they will take the chips back if they don't run is a dual processor board.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic8192 View Post

The E5-4650 chips in my 4P rig have the VTx-D bug and won't reliably run virtual machines, so there are probably things that may not work right with the Extra Spicy chips, and you should ask the seller if they will take the chips back if they don't run is a dual processor board.
Ah well that would be a showstopper for me right there, visualization is what I crave man!
I assume since they only list since certain boards, they will only certify that it will work with those

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntaxvgm View Post

Ah well that would be a showstopper for me right there, visualization is what I crave man!
I assume since they only list since certain boards, they will only certify that it will work with those
You never know exactly what you are going to get. They may run perfect , it is a game of chance
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
493 Posts
First, lets be clear here, it is generally NOT illegal to purchase or sell these things.
Second, let's also be clear here that regardless of what the seller tells you, Ebay will generally always allow a return, and if not, Paypal always will.

With that said, 1000 seems awfully high for a CPU that you know doesn't function correctly. The main problem as I see it is that you won't know exactly what those defects are until after you use it, potentially long after you have paid for it. That to me personally is a deal breaker.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

You never know exactly what you are going to get. They may run perfect , it is a game of chance
biggrin.gif
I see you are running a quad socket rig yourself, what's with supermicro MP boards only supporting a certain series? Like I see nothing that supports the e5-2600 series? The motherboard you have, for example, only lists support for e5-4600 8 and 12 core CPUs. However, there are some e5-2600 series 8 cores out there for great price atm.
Also, any particular reason you have that case? Or could any huge case be just tapped with the correct holes?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce65 View Post

First, lets be clear here, it is generally NOT illegal to purchase or sell these things.
Second, let's also be clear here that regardless of what the seller tells you, Ebay will generally always allow a return, and if not, Paypal always will.

With that said, 1000 seems awfully high for a CPU that you know doesn't function correctly. The main problem as I see it is that you won't know exactly what those defects are until after you use it, potentially long after you have paid for it. That to me personally is a deal breaker.
For me I'd know pretty quickly (I'd want to test every feature out of this concern ), and I do know about ebay being buyer friendly, I really have had good experiences there. However, 1000$ is a lot, especially if I'd consider buying multiples.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Quote:

I see you are running a quad socket rig yourself, what's with supermicro MP boards only supporting a certain series? Like I see nothing that supports the e5-2600 series? The motherboard you have, for example, only lists support for e5-4600 8 and 12 core CPUs.
Also, any particular reason you have that case? Or could any huge case be just tapped with the correct holes?
People have told me that 2 E5-2600 chips would run in my 4P board. I have never done that myself though. I used that Rosewill case because it was big enough to fit the board and cheap. Tapping holes is easy. At the time I got the board, the supermicro case for it was around $1000 and I had already spent enough.

Edit: look here and you might find what you seek.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I don't get it. More than one person said here that $1000 is a lot for this. But Intel's tray price is $4115 per CPU. I'd say jump on it, if you were 100% sure it wasn't a scam.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

People have told me that 2 E5-2600 chips would run in my 4P board. I have never done that myself though. I used that Rosewill case because it was big enough to fit the board and cheap. Tapping holes is easy. At the time I got the board, the supermicro case for it was around $1000 and I had already spent enough.
ah cool so the tapping of holes is all I'd have to do as long as it can fit the board? PCI slots line up and everything? Is it close to like SSI EEB?
If it's true that the 2600 series will work, I might consider going or that. Bit old of an architecture, but still a pretty solid performer. And at this point I'm not encouraged going for ES chips.
I think I'll contact supermicro about this as far as compatibility goes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateneth View Post

I don't get it. More than one person said here that $1000 is a lot for this. But Intel's tray price is $4115 per CPU. I'd say jump on it, if you were 100% sure it wasn't a scam.
I'm pretty sure it's not a scam, these are timed right, this happens near every release cycle. And they are on mutiple sellers, some with great ratings, one of which I've bought from.
But it is a lot to spend on something that may not work the way I want it to, im unsure about the quality of ES chips.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Quote:

ah cool so the tapping of holes is all I'd have to do as long as it can fit the board? PCI slots line up and everything? Is it close to like SSI EEB?
If it's true that the 2600 series will work, I might consider going or that. Bit old of an architecture, but still a pretty solid performer. And at this point I'm not encouraged going for ES chips.
I think I'll contact supermicro about this as far as compatibility goes.
Maybe. Some of the boards require tapping completely new offsets to get the slots to line up and the mods will be more than minor, but It can be done
biggrin.gif
You may have trouble getting anywhere with supermicro on the phone. They "officially" don't support the ES chips, even though they do.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Maybe. Some of the boards require tapping completely new offsets to get the slots to line up and the mods will be more than minor, but It can be done
biggrin.gif
You may have trouble getting anywhere with supermicro on the phone. They "officially" don't support the ES chips, even though they do.
Well this comes to the older chips, there are some good deals on used ones so I think I'll ask them if that board or if any quad socket board they have supports the e5-2600 series. Specifically your motherboard, in your case, was asking if you had to do more than tap new holes.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Quote:

Well this comes to the older chips, there are some good deals on used ones so I think I'll ask them if that board or if any quad socket board they have supports the e5-2600 series. Specifically your motherboard, in your case, was asking if you had to do more than tap new holes.
I am a little confused. My board is a LGA 2011 V1 board and will not support the new V4 chips you are looking at. You will need a LGA 2011 V3 board for the new V4 chips. Look at the motherboard matrix here to find what you are looking for. I think the X10 boards are LGA 2011 v3 and the X9 boards(like mine) are LGA 2011 v1

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

I am a little confused. My board is a LGA 2011 V1 board and will not support the new V4 chips you are looking at. You will need a LGA 2011 V3 board for the new V4 chips. Look at the motherboard matrix here to find what you are looking for. I think the X10 boards are LGA 2011 v3 and the X9 boards(like mine) are LGA 2011 v1
No I'm considering a set of used xeons and going quad cpu instead of a new dual cpu option. Not the greatest but cost wise a decent solution.
Like I was trying to find out if I could stick 4 e5-2670s in that board, or if it truly only supports the e5-4600 series, in which case I think none of their quad socket 2011 boards would support it.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Quote:

No I'm considering a set of used xeons and going quad cpu instead of a new dual cpu option. Not the greatest but cost wise a decent solution.
Like I was trying to find out if I could stick 4 e5-2670s in that board, or if it truly only supports the e5-4600 series, in which case I think none of their quad socket 2011 boards would support it.
You can't use 4 E5-2670's in the board. The E5-2670's are limited to 2. You will need E5-4600 chips to go 4P.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts