Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Realtime Worlds has announced that APB, which only came out at the end of June, is being shut down for good.

Quote:
Such a quick collapse didn't bode well for the future of the game and today, less than 90 days after it launched, the other shoe dropped.

Quote:
He said he currently doesn't know what options will be available to players with outstanding RTW Points but that they'll likely be laid out in a forthcoming press release. The game is no longer available on Steam and retail copies have apparently been pulled from shelves.

Quote:
UPDATE: APB will be free until it's gone, but Bateman noted on Twitter that the servers are going down for good tonight. In other words, if you want to be around for the big finish, you'd better get moving.

source

·
Banned
4,683 Posts
LoL, that's crazy. Didn't this game launch like just 3 months ago?

The first and only MMO i've ever joined on with, Fallen Earth, looks like it's going the same route, but at a very slow pace. I joined up for 3 months and then quit when there was nothing else to do, rejoined about 2 months ago and found that there still wasn't anything to do but that most of the people on there were trying out APB. I wonder if the people who went to APB will come back to Fallen Earth.

BTW, what was so wrong with APB to make it go belly up like that?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Didn't even last six months...

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Looked like the kind of game you play for a week then realize how ridiculous it is.

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
I work with someone who was on that project. Sounds like the main reason of the collapse is due to some pretty poor financial decisions that put the company in such a bad position that they wouldn't had to wildly succeeded almost immediately to not go bankrupt.

Sounds like there is a good chance all of the tech for the game could be sold to another company and started back up.

·
B.O.W
26,977 Posts
WHAT?!
XD
I was going to buy this back when it came out, thank god I didn't.
What a rip off. That was the shortest lived game ever.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I was sooooo stoked for this game before release, more so than any other game in recent history. I was accepted into the Beta and was instantly disappointed my fist time playing.

They had the ultimate idea of an open world cops and robbers MMO but they gameplay and engine were awful. I wasn't expecting GTA IV quality graphics, physics, or control but something close to that of Saints Row 2 would have sufficed.

Problem was it seemed the developer focused so much on customization that the rest of the game felt neglected. Cars handled terribly, combat was lopsided and highly favored those who just snipped from the distance making it more frustrating than fun.

Sucks because I really wanted this game to live up to the hype but it feel far far far short.......

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miked270 View Post
I was sooooo stoked for this game before release, more so than any other game in recent history. I was accepted into the Beta and was instantly disappointed my fist time playing.

They had the ultimate idea of an open world cops and robbers MMO but they gameplay and engine were awful. I wasn't expecting GTA IV quality graphics, physics, or control but something close to that of Saints Row 2 would have sufficed.

Problem was it seemed the developer focused so much on customization that the rest of the game felt neglected. Cars handled terribly, combat was lopsided and highly favored those who just snipped from the distance making it more frustrating than fun.

Sucks because I really wanted this game to live up to the hype but it feel far far far short.......
Everything you said here I agree with.

I was also accepted into the beta, but I didn't dismiss it immediately. I actually planned on purchasing it at release even though it still felt incomplete as launch came closer

I remember the day they announced the payment plan too, most of the people in the beta who planned on purchasing the game were turned off as soon as they announced that, after they had previously announced that there would be no subscription fee. Out of my group of friends, only one ended up buying it, and he didn't even keep playing it after a week.

Realtime Worlds.. they dun goofed.

·
Dream with your eyes open
3,837 Posts
So sad to see something die, well, someone better buy this game!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aroc91 View Post
You should have posted it in the news section.
At the time, there was no press release. It just went DEAD when I posted it, and wasn't quite NEWS worthy because no press or gaming news site. And god for bid would I want the OCN Rent-A-Cop on my tail and correcting me when they have nothing else better to do.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post
LoL, that's crazy. Didn't this game launch like just 3 months ago?

The first and only MMO i've ever joined on with, Fallen Earth, looks like it's going the same route, but at a very slow pace. I joined up for 3 months and then quit when there was nothing else to do, rejoined about 2 months ago and found that there still wasn't anything to do but that most of the people on there were trying out APB. I wonder if the people who went to APB will come back to Fallen Earth.

BTW, what was so wrong with APB to make it go belly up like that?
I bought it with a few friends, it was fun but some things where just horrible.

The matchmaking was the worst I've ever seen, some things were incredibly overpowerd, the missions you did was the same thing every time. (Well, not exactly the same but meh.)

Besides that I guess their marketing/financial decision sucked.
It got bad reviews because the first few hours are horrible.
The buddy system (Basically a trial) was only for people who had already bought extra gametime and was for a limited amount of time (It was up for like 2 weeks) and it took you atleast a week to receive the actual invite after it was sent so most people got it after the deadline.
You could buy RTW points (Used for gametime) with ingame cash so there were loads of people who did that. (Obviously someone had to buy RTW points to buy the cash on the marketplace tho.)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sha®pie View Post
Everything you said here I agree with.

I was also accepted into the beta, but I didn't dismiss it immediately. I actually planned on purchasing it at release even though it still felt incomplete as launch came closer

I remember the day they announced the payment plan too, most of the people in the beta who planned on purchasing the game were turned off as soon as they announced that, after they had previously announced that there would be no subscription fee. Out of my group of friends, only one ended up buying it, and he didn't even keep playing it after a week.

Realtime Worlds.. they dun goofed.
Funny thing is subscription fees aren't even a turn off for me if the game is fun. If a game is fun enough to play for months on end I'll gladly fork over even $20 a month as opposed to spending another $60 on a game I only play for a week then toss to the side.

World of Warcraft was a prime example of a game I felt completely justified me spending money monthly. While I'm sick of MMORPG's now at the time I spent hours playing it which in turn kept me from shelling out cash trying to find other games to entertain me.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts