Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
A Steam Group hopes using politeness and respect will encourage Valve to speak up about Half-Life.

Over 10,000 gamers have joined a new Steam Group that's looking for Valve to be more outgoing about the next step for its award winning (but dormant) series. The group, titled A Call for Communication (Half-Life) is hoping that by keeping its message simple, respectful and non-confrontational, it will be able grab Valve's attention better than using a campaign of anger and negativity.

"We have decided to gain Valve's attention by delivering a basic message," the group stated in their open letter to the Bellevue, Washington-based company. "Your oldest and longest running fanbase would like better communication.

"Waiting patiently for over four years is a daunting task, especially when E3 comes and goes without any beat of a Half-Life pulse," the group continued. "Valve had stated that information was scheduled to be released towards the end of 2008, and we believe that if they have chosen, for whatever reason, to withhold this information, fans should at least be acknowledged in some way."
Source
Steam group

I have to say that I agree with the point the group is trying to get across.

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
I am joining this group.

·
god loves ugly
4,253 Posts
And somehow I feel Valve will remain completely mysterious about the entire thing. They thrive on keeping things a surprise/cryptic so I doubt they'll be upfront and say "There's nothing in the works" or "We aim to release some time around 2014."

At this point I just want something concrete. I can deal with waiting for another HL for as long as it takes. I just want to know when (or if) it will be.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Valve doesn't need to release a continuation/conclusion of HL to maintain its fanbase--I wonder if they realized that they've waited too long to pick up the story again, and that any sort of continuation/conclusion would fall onto a relatively small fanbase that actually played the series. the longer it gets from the HL series games, the less business sense it makes for them to release another episode--which i totally understand. That being said, I would like some sort of continuation/conclusion, but I don't get why people are so up in arms about this even after a concrete statement from Valve saying that there will be no such thing. If you respect a company that clearly shows mutual respect for its fanbase, then leave them be and respect their decisions. don't see why this has to be re-hashed over and over.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
If there will never be another Half-Life, will their customers still be so enamored with Valve? Will they still be a PC first game developer? Will Steam lose some of it's luster?

I think they will still drag this out to keep their customers buying games for the foreseeable future.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,527 Posts
Interesting.

I bet Valve is going to communicate better, but in fact I think they are not going to do things much differently than what they have scheduled. The past few years have been busy: when they released Episode 2 in 2007, Crysis also came out, they probably thought and rightfully so, that a proper story ending needed more than just an episode, and should look much better than Episode 2, which, while good, was showing it's age against Crysis. They wanted to make an impact just he way they did with Half-Life 2. And let's not forget, it took Valve 6 years since Half-Life to produce Half-Life 2. Were not there yet since Episode 2, but we are close.

So they decided to expand their horizons by making different kinds of games, and they succeeded in that; they also expanded into the Mac, porting the Source engine to render in OpenGL in the process, going into consoles, and making Steam more robust for the future. Now they have Dota 2 practically finished (it's still in Beta and it's already in the top 10 of most played games on Steam), an Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is also almost ready. After these two launches in the coming weeks or first few months of the year, Valve is free in terms of PR to start talking about the Half-Life series, which I'm sure they have been working on all these years, along with a much improved Source engine with DX11 functionality.

So, all in all, this fits the schedule more or less perfectly.

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
It's funny how people describing themselves as fans think Valve owes them something. Valve doesn't owe any of you anything. They don't have to make another Half-Life game. They don't have to do anything, it's like little kids screaming in the backseat and now they decided to say please and thank you to Mommy and Daddy in hopes they will get their way. It's quite comical.

·
Meow!
8,487 Posts
Valve is being mysterious! Perhaps they are building a real Aperture lab somewhere this is why no one has leak any news about HL. All scientist (programmer are all trapped).

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Wonder if Valve will reply. I would like to see some HL2:E3 or HL3 news....
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldExclusive View Post

If there will never be another Half-Life, will their customers still be so enamored with Valve? Will they still be a PC first game developer? Will Steam lose some of it's luster?
I think they will still drag this out to keep their customers buying games for the foreseeable future.
Why would someone buy games from a company in hopes they'll release a game that the company has remained quiet about? Sounds stupid. Also stupid to not buy just because they wanna end the series. Also also stupid to end the series.
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
6,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post

Valve doesn't need to release a continuation/conclusion of HL to maintain its fanbase--I wonder if they realized that they've waited too long to pick up the story again, and that any sort of continuation/conclusion would fall onto a relatively small fanbase that actually played the series.
Although not a direct comparison, look at what happened when Fallout 3 got released -- tons of FO3 and F:NV players probably never even heard of the series before 2008. If anybody can pull off a reboot, I'm betting Valve is a good candidate.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub50hz View Post

Although not a direct comparison, look at what happened when Fallout 3 got released -- tons of FO3 and F:NV players probably never even heard of the series before 2008. If anybody can pull off a reboot, I'm betting Valve is a good candidate.
The did it with Half-Life 2, six years after Half-Life, why shouldn't they be able to do it again when it's still only been less than 5 years since Episode 2 ?

Some people saying that it's too late, blah,blah, blah, don't know what they are talking about. In fact, they come here knowing what the Half-Life series is, so they are not really the best examples of people who don't know the games either LOL.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub50hz View Post

I am sure people will play the game--even people who didn't "grow up with" the HL series. But the question is whether that risk makes business sense for valve vs. pushing ahead with their current continuing/new game franchises.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts