1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***UPDATE***
http://gamepolitics.com/2007/06/26/e...s-nothing-new/

Quote:

An ESRB directive to withdraw online trailers for a pair of upcoming games caused a bit of a stir yesterday, but such action by the video game industry's rating board is not without precedent.

GameDaily, for example, initially reported:

In a significant move that would seem to indicate that the [ESRB] is now rating publishers' trailers for video games, GameDaily BIZ received warnings from two separate companies today stating that their trailers were found to be inappropriate.

The trailers in question were for D3's Dark Sector and 2K Game's The Darkness (left). As GDB subsequently reported, ESRB president Patricia Vance issued a statement later in the day clarifying:

The ESRB's Advertising Review Council (ARC) regularly monitors game ads and trailers to make sure that they adhere to industry-adopted Principles and Guidelines for Responsible Advertising Practices, which were established in 2000. Since 2005, ARC guidelines have required that trailers for M-rated games on publisher websites be displayed behind an age gate to help restrict viewing to those visitors who are 17 and older…

However, the mere presence of an age gate does not permit a publisher to simply put whatever content it wishes into the trailer. All trailers must still conform to ARC's Principles and Guidelines, which prohibit the display of excessively violent content or any content likely to cause serious offense to the average consumer.

While we haven't heard much about ESRB enforcement of trailers recently, it has happened in the past. As GamePolitics reported in August, 2005, an obscure RPG from Atlus, Samurai Western, provoked a similar response from the ESRB.

What's more, a Federal Trade Commission (FTC) report issued in April of this year criticized the game industry for excessive violence in its web-based marketing practices, which may in part have triggered additional watchfulness from the ESRB. From the FTC document:

Entertainment industries continue to market some R-rated movies, M-rated video games, and explicit-content recordings on television shows and Web sites with substantial teen audiences.

Whether the timing of the ESRB's move is related to publicity over last week's Manhunt 2 controversy or represents a more generalized crackdown is not known.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160544

Quote:

In the last week, 1UP has received notices from publishers 2K Games, Microsoft and D3 about videos already online or coming soon that had content flagged by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board. In the case of Gears of War, the footage had been online at GameVideos since January( and is still available online at Brightcove and Team Xbox), yet Microsoft and Epic apparently only recently received notice of a violation, requiring the offending video to be completely removed.
2K Games' statement about The Darkness acted more of a warning to ensure age gates were in place, whereas D3 was forced to request Dark Sector videos actually removed.

"We recently received a ruling from the ESRB stating that the two officially released Dark Sector gameplay montages have been deemed to contain excessive or offensive content; and to this end are not to be available for download or viewing, regardless of being placed behind an age gate. In order to comply with this ruling, the ESRB has requested that the two Dark Sector gameplay montages be pulled immediately upon receipt of this notice and no longer made available for view by consumers."
Just a few moments ago, the ESRB issued a notice about the recent rash of violations. The organization pointed to their Principles and Guidelines for Responsible Advertising Practices, established back in 2000, which added the need for an age gate on mature content in 2005. ESRB President Patricia Vance said this is standard practice, but that doesn't explain why they're just now getting to videos from January.

"All trailers must still conform to ARC's Principles and Guidelines, which prohibit the display of excessively violent content or any content likely to cause serious offense to the average consumer. When ESRB notifies a publisher that the content in a trailer is in violation of these ARC requirements, or that there is an age gate issue on a third party site, that publisher then must notify third party sites to rectify the problem," said Vance. "The notices issued recently by game publishers to third party websites are simply that - steps in a chain of publisher compliance with ARC guidelines and the ESRB enforcement system that have been occurring since their establishment seven years ago."

The ESRB's outline for adhering to the ARC Principles and Guidelines is extensive, and details how the ESRB examines "ESRB ratings and truth and accuracy in the selected content, violence, sex, alcohol and drugs, offensive verbal or bodily expression and sensitivity to people's beliefs or handicaps." In the above examples, violence was the issue. There, the ESRB's criteria are extensive. As it judges a piece of media, the group considers:

Graphic and/or excessive depictions of violence
Graphic and/or violent depictions of the use of weapons
Graphic and/or excessive depictions of blood and/or gore
Allusions or depictions of acts of verbal or physical abuse toward children
Allusions or depictions of violent or degrading behavior toward women
Allusions or depictions of torture or other violent acts toward animals
Allusions or depictions of torture, mutilation or sadism
Violence toward a political or public figure
Allusions or depictions of acts of arson or fire play

We've contacted the ESRB for further clarification on how, for example, the Gears of War video was flagged so late, but the timing of the ESRB clamp down isn't so peculiar, given the Manhunt 2 incident last week. Is this a knee-jerk reaction to the recent media frenzy that's shined another spotlight on the industry's tango with interactive violence or just a wacky coincidence? The latter seems a bit much, don't you think?

The thing they are forgetting to realize is the only people going to these game websites for individual games want to see the violence and what they can expect in the actual game....
It's finally happening, game are being censored left and right. NY is supposed to pass a bill next month making selling a m rated game to a minor a FELONY....
it's one thing to sell it to a minor but then compare them to serious law offenders is pathetic since around 60%+ of the people buying the games are parents for underage children so it isn't the retailers who should be punished...

If anyone is interested, i just watched a movie called "This Film is Not Yet Rated" which is about movie censorship and how the mpaa works, it really shows how facist these "regulators" really are...

Also if anyone wants to vent to the actual ESRB organization go here: http://www.esrb.org/about/contact.jsp

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
So...what are they trying to make the internet safe for kids or something? Please. You can get worse things (pron...) In like half the time...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus451
View Post

I hate that my state senate is Republican.

I find this to be an amusing statement considering folks like Joe Lieberman are HUGE proponents to censorship and the like.

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
I hate you ESRB!! =D

Now i plan to see people coming to the side i have been on for years : ESRB needs to be shut down!!

Can game manufactures refuse to allow ESRB to rate their games?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Licht
View Post

I hate you ESRB!! =D

Now i plan to see people coming to the side i have been on for years : ESRB needs to be shut down!!

Before you have something like that you'd have to have movie ratings done away with as well. I have no issue with games having ratings, it's when the ESRB and other organizations prevent companies from producing their games as they were intended to be, it's a game, that is all.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Licht
View Post

I hate you ESRB!! =D

Yes they can. But in return I believe the ESRB can ban them from selling that game, pretty much anywhere in the US, and maybe Canada, they rate games for them as well.

·
Banned
3,269 Posts
Their should be another organization that allows Mature and Adult-Only Trailers to be shown. That is so gay, just because some parents don't want their kids to watch M and AO-Rated Trailers doesn't mean the rest of us have to suffer. Those few kids should have a block on material that is not their age level.

NiNJa

·
Banned
715 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldboy View Post
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160544

The thing they are forgetting to realize is the only people going to these game websites for individual games want to see the violence and what they can expect in the actual game....
It's finally happening, game are being censored left and right. NY is supposed to pass a bill next month making selling a m rated game to a minor a FELONY....
it's one thing to sell it to a minor but then compare them to serious law offenders is pathetic since around 60%+ of the people buying the games are parents for underage children so it isn't the retailers who should be punished...

If anyone is interested, i just watched a movie called "This Film is Not Yet Rated" which is about movie censorship and how the mpaa works, it really shows how facist these "regulators" really are...

Also if anyone wants to vent to the actually ESRB organization go here: http://www.esrb.org/about/contact.jsp
thanks for the emailz

i will spam them with my 20 bots that bypass ANY spam filter with individual, ghost mailed antics

and they will become part of me when i bait them into clicking on my D_COM

hahahahahahahahahaha

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
Kinda random:

In my speech class, I started talking about censorship of the internet, and the entire class got mad at me when I said eventually the internet will be censored, even in america.

back ontopic: We all knew this was going to happen eventually, the best thing we can do now is voice our opinions. Contact them guys.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overclock View Post
MOTHER ******* ESRB I HATE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously we as adult gamers need to do something against the ESRB making OUR INTERNET safe for kids.
I played uber-violent games (M rating) when I was 9.
Did this make me mentally ill? No.
Did this do any damage to my health (or anybody else's)? No.
Screw ESRB! Wasn't it made to simply let parents know about the game's content???

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My first pc 2 games were Doom and Myst. I was addicted to both at first, and eventually i only played DooM...for hours on end, even skipping school to play. I eventually graduated and am in college at the moment and proudly can say i have never kid a human(squirrels and bugs while driving don't count
)

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus451 View Post
This is an interesting comment I have never heard before...

I think something is backwards here....

Yes....

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
In the 1990s as games became more and more violent violence among youths dropped by nearly 90%... what a coincidence!! So really this whole censorship's basis is untrue in the first place not to mention the result of their theory is illegal and just plain old wrong.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Here we go, I could tell soon as the Manhunt fiasco this is going to start

God damn democrats are behind this. Little girls they are...
Republicans are evil but at least they don't give a rats arse.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MGX1016 View Post
Here we go, I could tell soon as the Manhunt fiasco this is going to start

God damn democrats are behind this. Little girls they are...
Republicans are evil but at least they don't give a rats arse.
Well, said

·
Nobody
6,466 Posts
really guys, we as the people are gonna have to stand up against this BS.
It has been coming for many years, but now looks imminent within a few years.
while the U.S does still have considerable more freedom of the industry than other countries, we're losing it year by year because of these damn over protective moms and dads(yes thats right, us).We grew up with no problems, and society itself is much worse then this fictional entertainment.

I forgot what my point really was but this is such BS, I wanna play whatever I want to, not what the government wants me to.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I was playing Doom and Quake was I was around 9-10 years old. Do I want to go running around with my dads nailgun shooting people in the face screaming boom headshot? Well, maybe the ESRB, but seriously, no.

The internet is paid, run, and controlled by adults. If kids want to view our masterpiece, they should damn well have an adult or some kind of supervision(media blockers count as well) with them. It's not my fault a 9 year old finds the Darkness website, enters a fake birthdate and watches the tearing apart of people(that chainsaw to the face part was awesome) and is scarred for the rest of their life.

Seriously, this country needs to stop being ran by dumbass close-minded rejects. Maybe if they opened their eyes and see what is TRULY the problems behind homicides, thefts, and suicides they would realize games are just another form of entertainment instead of blaming games as the problems for everything.

Remember in the 80's with Metal being deemed as "Sounds of the devil" and "The source of all our problems" and how that fell through when Dee Snyder ripped apart that committee? In due time my friends... In due time. Our savior will come!!

·
Linux Evangelist
2,610 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus451
View Post

Being against violent games is the only issue both sides can take a politically safe stance on, so trust me it ain't just the GOP we have to worry about.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts