Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i'm in my English 12 class and we have to do a essay on a topic. i recived " evolution vs. Creationism " my first though was YEAH THIS WILL BE EASY. but i can't find an angle to take it at. i'm for evolution but not sure how to go about it. anyone have exp. in this field?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
you could talk about how that one view does not exactly deny the position of the other. I believe I have seen an article about how the quote does not deny evolution, just thinks its a neat idea.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slydog64
you could talk about how that one view does not exactly deny the position of the other. I believe I have seen an article about how the quote does not deny evolution, just thinks its a neat idea.
nobody actually believes that - it's just what creationists say when they begin to lose debates

google it - in certain parts of the US this is a huge issue. there are plenty of people who are more than happy to show their views to the world

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Are you supposed to take a side, or talk about both sides?

Taking side of evolution: use Darwin,

Describing both sides: Monkey Scopes Trial (specifically, it was argued that you can't say *exactly* what happened by reading the bible - when moses parted the waters, did they split from Moses to the other side? did it start in the middle? was it peaceful? was it splashy? etc -- you can interpret the bible however you want ... so on and so forth ... creationism is an interpretation...)...etc

·
Premium Member
4,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ouroboros1827
Are you supposed to take a side, or talk about both sides?

Taking side of evolution: use Darwin,

Describing both sides: Monkey Scopes Trial (specifically, it was argued that you can't say *exactly* what happened by reading the bible - when moses parted the waters, did they split from Moses to the other side? did it start in the middle? was it peaceful? was it splashy? etc -- you can interpret the bible however you want ... so on and so forth ... creationism is an interpretation...)...etc
DEFINATELY refer to the scopes trial, but argue that neither theory is sound in it's logic. If God created man, then how is it that we have evidence of evolution? But on the other hand, if evolution is the definite answer, then where is the universe? You have to look at it from both sides... Personally I think the two go hand in hand and aid in one area that the other lacks in. Think about the concept of the big bang - if the universe (space as we know it)was created by a giant explosion, in what arena (for lack of a better word) did the explosion occur? Another giant blob of space beyond our own universe's limits? This is where the creation theory seems to take precedence as to the explanation of the origins of the universe...

Ever wondered if we're all here just inside of some young kids snow globe sitting on his dresser? It could be... You could take a shuttle TRILLIONS and TRILLIONS of light years into space and then just suddenly run into the edge of the universe... It's some freaky shtuff lol

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
alright, i'm in a myspace group where this is pretty much all we debate about. h/o. http://groups.myspace.com/Massdebators
if you can't read any of that stuff, then sign up it's free and you don't even have to use your profile, you can delete it when you are done with the project.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If I were you, I would discuss the differences between microevolution and macroevolution. (I agree whole-heartedly with the concept of microevolution, but think that macroevolution is severely lacking in evidence and scientific possibility.) If you're not quite sure what I'm talking about, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i understand. i'm just looking for some ideas about stuff i need to amke this 5 pages of more then me ranbling on and on which i could do for ever

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't forget to mention the people who promote the two views, possibly in extreme ways, like how in some US states the creationists have felt sufficiently threatened that they'd had it removed from the curriculum.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Talk about the lengths politically correctionists go to not teach darwinism in schools and talk about how social darwinism came about

·
Registered
22 Posts
hmm if i would argue about that i would go with creation ... god created us... but i would add that he gave us the ability 2 evolve... or he made it so we evolved, something like that... but if u had to choose 1 go with evolution because i believe its way easier..

Tamir

1 - 12 of 12 Posts