Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a blinking yellow LED supposed to mean? I'm on my college's network, and I've noticed that there's only a blinking yellow LED and no green or orange LED's. Is this some code? I have internet, but if I try to bridge my connections, it turns off the dataport (probably not supposed to bridge connections...). Anyone know?

·
Registered
389 Posts
What kind of computer are your using? Does it normally have a green light on the NIC? What are you trying to bridge? Is it a connection in a dorm or something?

Not all NICs are created equal. Some have a green light when there is a link, and some don't. Usually, the blinking amber light is due to network activity. It blinks when data is being transferred.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi MrBlink

I'm using the very one in my sig. It's an Intel port, so I guess I'm used to the green LED being on. The Yukon port is above this port and I was trying to bridge the two together so I could play XBox Live, but my school dataport was turned off (seemed like a security thing to prevent bridging and routers).

I'm in my dorm, and I'm just trying to make sure I won't lose my connection by installing a router (with the mac address cloned, of course).

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well, as long as you are using MAC cloning on the router, I don't see any way that they could tell. I use a travel router at hotels that lock down by MAC, and it always works OK. Those damn Linux kids are pretty tricky though... I'd just get something cheap and returnable, and test it out!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts