Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have experience with mixing Ethylene Glycol into Distilled/DI Water?

If so what %'s did you do use?

How did it affect your system, was there a significant flow rate reduction?

Any comments on the effect of Ethylene Glycol on materials such as brass/copper/aluminum/nickel?

Any kind of build up or residue?

thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I've been using some of the Dazmode protector which is made by Feser which is mostly ethylene glycol. It recommends about 50mL per liter of h20. I didn't notice any difference in temperatures since using it over straight h20+pt nuke.

There was a little bit of residue in my reservoir that I had to use a toothbrush to remove, though that could have been a combination of this plus a new 480 rad (that I had used boiled water, rinsed, etc). My two 480 nickel blocks were corroded but that's a whole other issue. I have copper blocks now from RMA and no issues thus far.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I use a 50/50% solution of ethylene glycol and distilled in my system to allow benchmarking outdoors during the winter.
I noticed a small builldup of some sort of gunk in CPU block last time I took my system apart. The was probably because I was using cheap possibly impure glycol though. I have had no corrosion at all.
The 50/50 mixture has a bit higher viscosity than pure water, but I have noticed no difference in flowrate or cooling capacity.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If you are running mixed metals like copper and aluminum, the 33% glycol and 66% distilled water. That's the minimum ratio to use in a mixed metal loop. You will need to flush the loop and refill each year. This was the norm for nearly the past 12 years of the early WCing community.

If the loop is mainly copper, steel, brass, and no galvanic corrosion material conflicts, then the mixture typically is 10% glycol to 90% distilled water.

BUT, if glycol is needed for out door use in the winter or something else, consult an automotive cooling loop mixture guide for operating temps.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaverick;14208495
If you are running mixed metals like copper and aluminum, the 33% glycol and 66% distilled water. That's the minimum ratio to use in a mixed metal loop.
I researched this topic a few weeks/months ago. This is the conclusion I came up with, also. 33% is the minimum to prevent corrosion and kill micro organisms. At that mixture, it's not that bad on pump and some pumps it will even lubricate them.

I tried it for a few weeks just to observe. It will leave an oily film on all your parts, though. If you have any acrylic parts, you will notice it looks hazy. This washes off with soap and a scrubbing, but it's hard to just rinse off. If you have a tube reservoir, it's not problem to clean during maintenance. If you have a bay reservoir with a small fill port, it will be hard. This film coating is the glycol. It coats everything and that is how it actually protects the metals from corrosion. It acts as a physical barrier.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, Yeah I am going to have a mixed metal. I am trying to find out material information about the Swiftech MCP 35X pump, can't seem to find any information on what it is made from besides the delrin, i believe, top.

- But I will have a EK Supreme HF Full Copper Block.
- Still haven't decided on the radiator, but pretty much every radiator i see has tubes made out of brass.

-So what is left is w/e the internals of the pump are, which i would assume is stainless steel but i don't know.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Frost Protection °C , % v/v of Glycol in the system, Refractive Index

-10, 22%, 1.356
-15, 28%, 1.362
-20, 33%, 1.367
-25, 38%, 1.372
-30, 42%, 1.376
-35, 46%, 1.380

e.g 33% mix ratio will protect to -20 @ a Refractive index of 1.367

So unless the glycol base product is **** to begin with this is all you need.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I did a lot of googling on this topic...one consensus is: do not use water wetter. There wasn't any agreement on %...so I just went 25% coolant 75% distilled. I plan on replacing it often.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeR;14225900
I did a lot of googling on this topic...one consensus is: do not use water wetter. There wasn't any agreement on %...so I just went 25% coolant 75% distilled. I plan on replacing it often.
That's a little on the risky side, however if the CPU has a clear top you monitor it often. 33% (1/3rd) glycol to 66% (2/3rd) distilled mixture provides the lowest EG or PG corrosion protection. 25% is below the 27% border line protection limits. If your loop has minimal copper, you might get away with the 25%. Metal surface ratio with calculations will determine the percentages dead on. Plus add 4% safety factor to boot too.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaverick;14239997
That's a little on the risky side, however if the CPU has a clear top you monitor it often. 33% (1/3rd) glycol to 66% (2/3rd) distilled mixture provides the lowest EG or PG corrosion protection. 25% is below the 27% border line protection limits. If your loop has minimal copper, you might get away with the 25%. Metal surface ratio with calculations will determine the percentages dead on. Plus add 4% safety factor to boot too.
Ok, I will tighten up the protection!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts