Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source
Quote:
Uncharted 4 may be PlayStation 4's showstopper, but it's Quantum Break leading the charge for Xbox One. Blending cinematic third-person action with live action segments, Remedy's latest title is a coming to fruition of Microsoft's original plan to converge TV and video game content into one package. We recently sampled the first two chapters of the game at an event hosted by Remedy, and came away impressed by the technology used to bring the game to life. However, there are also noticeable compromises at work in bringing the game's rich filmic visuals to Xbox One that perhaps distract from the experience.
Quote:
Based on Remedy's own Siggraph 2015 white paper, we understand screen-space lighting, ambient occlusion, and global illumination pipelines are all handled at 1280x720 on Xbox One in order to budget for a 33.3ms render-time.

Curiously, the paper also states Xbox One's final output is 1920x1080, and that's where there is some confusion - as we've yet to see evidence of full HD 1080p gameplay in close analysis - barring the title's HUD elements and menus. In every scene tested so far, a native resolution of 720p is the consistent result found in each pixel count test - so while there's every possibility of individual render targets operating at higher resolutions, basic geometry that we're able to measure hands in a 720p result as things stand.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Doesn't look that great and doesn't stand a chance against Uncharted 4. Besides, Uncharted 4 is a more cinematic film-like game, while Quantum Break is much more of a shooter. Now that they've mentioned all the draw-backs, I can see how the PC version may graphically be compared against Uncharted 4, but you'd have to consider the huge difference between PS4 hardware and high-end PC hardware!

Since this is a DirectX 12 titles for PC, does it mean it also uses the new Xbox One API that's similar to DirectX 12? I was hoping Low-Level API on Xbox One would at least allow games like this one run at 1080p.

720p is NOT acceptable for 2016, not even close! Shadows are very blocky, motion blur and overall blur is too heavy. Its a BLAH title on Xbox One, but I hope PC version does much better.

IMHO, The Division looks miles better than this game on Xbox One...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I don't preorder many games but this one after I seen the trailer really peaked my interest.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
There's potential for this game to look great but its clearly limited by the weak GPU of Xbone. Though its nice to see consistent 30 FPS performance.

·
PC Evangelist
46,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L36 View Post

There's potential for this game to look great but its clearly limited by the weak GPU of Xbone. Though its nice to see consistent 30 FPS performance.
This game at 4K will look amazing lol.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L36 View Post

Not with that short draw distance and blocky shadows.
Which should easily be fixed with high-resolution shadows and longer draw distance on PC.

·
Registered
731 Posts
QB uses a lot of heavy post processing effects. The low resolution, volumetric lighting and film grain give it a very soft look, and it's probably using a blurring temporal anti-aliasing solution too if I had to guess. The overall look is very different from Division or Uncharted, which are much sharper but kinda flat looking when it comes to lighting imo. Xbox One probably isn't well suited for QB as an effects heavy game. I'm sure it'll look fantastic at 4K with proper shadow quality and LOD. I'm just worried it'll suffer from UWP just like all the other releases so far.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Just the fact t that they're using real world actors in this game has turned me off from it from the get go.

Like, im playing an actor playing a character, so its: me -> actor -> character. Just breaks immersion completely, then theres the problem with some of the ingame actors not looking close enough to the real thing, its just dumb.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoLomgbbq View Post

Just the fact t that they're using real world actors in this game has turned me off from it from the get go.

Like, im playing an actor playing a character, so its: me -> actor -> character. Just breaks immersion completely, then theres the problem with some of the ingame actors not looking close enough to the real thing, its just dumb.
Completely agree. Not to mention the wasted resources in order to get the rights to use these actors' likenesses that could more than likely be much better used elsewhere in the development process. Like say... oh I don't know... ensuring this doesn't end up as just another boring, generic cover-shooter replete with slow-mo/freeze-time effects.

I don't like the thought of games slowly becoming more like movies and the lines are indeed blurring together here. If I wanted to watch a movie with actors I'd do just that, I don't want it from a videogame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts