Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
EA is waiving Origin distribution fees for any game funded via a crowd-sourcing site like Kickstarter, the publisher has announced.

The offer will run for 90 days following the game's launch, and is open to any fully-funded, complete and ready-to-publish title.
Source

A crowd funded game in development that I've been alpha testing (project C.A.R.S check it if you like racing sims) would probably benefit from this.

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
To get more publishers on board, no doubt. I still don't like Origin mainly because of EA's shady practices and the really shoddy customer service, but Steam's only better by virtue of not trying to screw a consumer over.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
A good move by EA. Hope the good games still make it on Steam.
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFTW View Post

this would be unbelievably stupid if that means i would need to install origin, No pennies (or hundreds) from me
That's a shame.

·
Old and Crochity
5,266 Posts
So far, this is one of the smartest things EA has done. If they really want to compete with steam this is one of the fundamentals they are going to have to get down. They need more publishers and developers selling games on origin.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GekzOverlord View Post

another source :http://www.computerandvideogames.com/348332/ea-offers-free-origin-distribution-to-crowd-funded-games/

Good move from EA. This should at least getting some more games in there storefront, But, would a "kickstarter" dev want to be tied down to origins service? Guess they could use it for the 90 days and use the funding to jump to steam

I bet there's something dodgy e.g. if you signup to use this service you cannot go to blah blah... Okay im being over the top...
I don't think so, I bet you're right.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,527 Posts
This is a good idea. However, I would like to know the terms and conditions for this. If during those 90 days the developer is not allowed to distribute the game anywhere else, this ends up being another tactic by EA to conquer audience at the expense of forcing the small contributors (and eventually even the big contributors, who normally get the game for free) to install Origin in order to be able to purchase (in the case of small contributors) and download and play the game.

I'm sorry if this sounds anti-EA or anti-Origin, but EA has to show a good track record until I trust them. Until it does, this will always be my way of dealing with them. Looks good, but let me read the whole terms and conditions.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Since EA doesn't have to take the intial risk, it makes sense for them to do it.
I hope more games go this route, because it takes away creative and financial control from the publisher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

This is a good idea. However, I would like to know the terms and conditions for this. If during those 90 days the developer is not allowed to distribute the game anywhere else, this ends up being another tactic by EA to conquer audience at the expense of forcing the small contributors (and eventually even the big contributors, who normally get the game for free) to install Origin in order to be able to purchase (in the case of small contributors) and download and play the game.
I'm sorry if this sounds anti-EA or anti-Origin, but EA has to show a good track record until I trust them. Until it does, this will always be my way of dealing with them. Looks good, but let me read the whole terms and conditions.
EA is offering almost free distribution for 90 days, even it's a exclusive deal, it's hard to pass up.
Any small time dev that wants reach millions of users for 90 days free of charge will do it.

Many people don't understand how deep EA or Valve can cut into devs profits by charging fees.

·
Premium Member
4,764 Posts
Pretty cool. Don't know the full details but, it sounds like a good move on EA's part.

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Alright that's enough of the inb4 posts. The next person to post a inb4 post will get an infraction/warning. Please cease posting them as they don't contribute anything to the thread and their very intention is to derail the thread.

·
Banned
4,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldExclusive View Post

Since EA doesn't have to take the intial risk, it makes sense for them to do it.
I hope more games go this route, because it takes away creative and financial control from the publisher.
EA is offering almost free distribution for 90 days, even it's a exclusive deal, it's hard to pass up.
Any small time dev that wants reach millions of users for 90 days free of charge will do it.
Many people don't understand how deep EA or Valve can cut into devs profits by charging fees.
They charge less than it used to cost to sell at a retailer. In fact, the only thing keeping the cost that high is that DD's can't undercut brick&mortar or else B&M would just simply cease to carry those games.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackeduphard View Post

the question is do you want to be whipped by a burning whip (EA) or a regular whip that is not on fire ... (Steam) ....
Either way you still got to be whipped ... just pick the one that has more user base and that people are not scared to spend money on ...
I have to agree there, EA has a horrible track record with new companies and new IP's.

Sure they keep a Dev's new game intact with as little involvement as possible, but when it becomes popular ( I.E: Mass effect, Battlefield, Dragon Age, Crysis, Command & Conquer, Dead Space ) they suddenly want it multi-platform and pretty much as dumbed down and mainstream as they can to get as much profit as they can. Thus ruining the Software house.

EA IMHO need to change tactics on long-term profits that doesn't involve destroying IP's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldExclusive View Post

I pulled this Qute from John Gibson Chief of Tripwire Interactive ( Authors of the "killing floor" indie game ) :

"Without breaking any non-disclosure agreements, let me just say that our royalty deal was great, and is in line with what I understand that other digital distribution services are offering. We were able to recoup our development costs for our first game within the first week of sales, and sales were straight profit from that point on."

Source

I did hear that Digital Download places like Steam, GoG etc, give more profits back to their Developers than selling things on the retail floor.

·
Registered
227 Posts
On the surface this sounds like an awesome move. Awesome for one, because it gives independent developers more breathing room in their cost calculations since without having to pay for those 90 days, there's really little reason to not use electronic dist for completed projects. Obviously a bad project that doesn't make back that fee in those 90 days will be bad news but hey, if it's worth building it's worth building right. What I think is really awesome though, is that this move to incentivise crowd sourced projects (I'm hoping it extends to indie devs as well) shows that EA is willing to relinquish some control. I don't know the fine print, so I could be completely wrong; however, with devs using the dist. service without being beholden to EA as a publisher, in general there'll be less of EA penny-pincher tentacles in our games. Indie games have been on a rise for a little while now - I'd love it if we were riding a wave of new creativity in PC gaming. It's a slow wave, I think... but maybe.

But yeah, assuming that projects get enough funding out of their kickstarter programs, using a distribution for free at least in the beginning will allow the devs to get some profit in before the external overhead kicks in. Good news, in my opinion.

·
Registered
914 Posts
This is a really smart move from EA, but I think they are aiming at the wrong target they should be doing this with Indie and not kickstarters, or maybe both, I still don't like origin and don't trust EA and their shady way of business, but can't say this isn't a good move in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
9,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GekzOverlord View Post

another source :http://www.computerandvideogames.com/348332/ea-offers-free-origin-distribution-to-crowd-funded-games/
Good move from EA. This should at least getting some more games in there storefront, But, would a "kickstarter" dev want to be tied down to origins service? Guess they could use it for the 90 days and use the funding to jump to steam
I bet there's something dodgy e.g. if you signup to use this service you cannot go to blah blah... Okay im being over the top...
Nothing dodgy, they just realised the momentous success that Valve have had in their support of Indy developers.

This is just a way for EA to say "Hey look, we support Indy developers too."

I remember the massive amount of backlash they received from the community, especially OCN, when they wanted to advertise Indy packs on Steam a couple of weeks ago. I guess now, no one can really call them out for it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts