Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 666 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source

Quote:
Released to critical acclaim this past November, Rise of the Tomb Raider is now locked and loaded for release on the PC courtesy of always reliable Dutch development house Nixxes Software. The Xbox One version is already a great-looking game but with the vastly increased power of a high-end PC, Crystal Dynamics' latest has never looked or played better.

Powered by an upgraded iteration of the in-house Foundation Engine, Rise of the Tomb Raider brings a host of next generation visual features to the table. This includes a physically-based materials system, image-based lighting, deformable snow, enhanced hair simulation, tessellated terrain, high quality cinematic effects and more. In bringing the game to the PC, Nixxes has enabled a host of PC exclusive options which expand upon and refine this already beautiful game.

While the game looks quite similar to the Xbox One version at first glance, it's clear that these additional PC specific settings bring a lot of additional depth to the experience. Tessellation is used throughout the game in areas where it is absent on Xbox One, shadows are greatly enhanced, the amount of dynamic foliage is increased, high quality HBAO+ is available, and general performance and image quality can be pushed much further. All of these improvements do require more powerful hardware than Tomb Raider 2013 but with some tweaking, you can achieve excellent performance on a wide range of hardware.
A fantastic read, this game looks amazing on both PC and Xbox One, but more so on PC!

Xbox One vs PC - Very High

28/01/16 - 3:42PM
No performance test at the moment however a mention of performance with the GTX 970, 750 Ti, R9 390 and R7 360.

Update: Performance test added!

Quote:
The battle between the GTX 970 and the R9 390 is fascinating. With frame-rates unlocked and settings maxed at 1080p, the Nvidia card provides a 47.5fps average, matched up against 48.8fps on AMD - but it doesn't tell the full story.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Just got my code for pre order/ pre load. So pumped. Loved the first one and can't wait to sink my teeth into this one.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Looks great! Nixxes never fails on ports.

Can't wait to play
thumb.gif

·
Pharmacology is FUN
1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugSeven View Post

Some IQ testing wouldn't go amiss
jpg
Pretty hard to surmise anything from that with an image resolution of 600x338
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Looks like a solid port so far.
thumb.gif

Slightly disappointed in the textures when compared to the X1, not that they look bad, but it just goes to show how much potential is wasted on PC..

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Have played the X1 version, high system requirement is to be expected, but wow!! GTX970+i5 for 1080p/47fps and GTX960 for 1080p/30fps on high setting?? already higher than akrham knight requirement.
weirdsmiley.gif

DF mistaken the version tags or what? illuminated radius on head light is higher on X1

·
Registered
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by majin662 View Post

Just got my code for pre order/ pre load. So pumped. Loved the first one and can't wait to sink my teeth into this one.
Same with me, cant wait and will probably do a play through of tomb raider.

·
Professional Proletariat
5,671 Posts

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Amd users should set tess to 8x.

·
Registered
790 Posts
This game uses heavy tessellation ?

·
Professional Proletariat
5,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

Ignoring the inevitable partisanship flaming, compare the 960 2GB to 960 4GB with their relative ranking in this graph.

Also yet another game in which a 960 matches a 780. Boy are Kepler owners getting hit hard.

1 - 20 of 666 Posts