Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 439 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source

Quote:
So what do we know about the rumoured PlayStation 4.5? In the wake of last week's post-GDC outing of the hardware by Kotaku, we have independently established that it's real and that Sony's R&D labs have prototype devices, and we also have more than one source referring to it as PlayStation 4K, the name we'll be using for now. And this is where things become slightly strange - because while more GPU power is being offered to developers, realistically it is nowhere near enough to provide native 4K gaming at the same quality level as current 1080p titles. The full extent of the spec is a current focus of enquiry for us, but realistically, it is simply impossible to cram the equivalent of today's top-end PC graphics hardware into a console-sized, mass-market box.
Quote:
Everything we've heard positions PlayStation 4K as a machine capable of playing current and next-generation ultra HD media, while also offering support for other aspects of the 4K spec, such as high-dynamic range and a wider colour gamut - aspects of the 4K spec that could be introduced to gaming. However, in terms of additional computational power, we've got be realistic about what Sony can deliver with a mid-generation refresh.
A fantastic read!
So it appears that they have sourced and found out that a new PlayStation is being created, this poses many questions as to what this new machine will be capable of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,472 Posts
better call it Playstation 4+ , Playsation 4S.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
We've known for a long time that Sony has planned a 4K media - ready PS4. My guess is that it's either that, with no additional power for devs, or an early PS5 prototype/test device.
 

·
News Junkie
Joined
·
8,232 Posts
My guess is 4k blu ray support and VR support. As in will not need the external box with the new ps4k as you do with the old one.
 

·
Politically incorrect
Joined
·
9,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerMan1971 View Post

My guess is they actually do need more clout to make VR work well on their console. Bit of a blow to those who already have a PS4
No different than those who buy a Titan that gets matched or beaten by a Ti a few months later. People who bought a PS4 have had several years of enjoyment out of it already so Sony can honestly update the model and get away with it, especially if it's more expensive than the already standard iPhone 4S... I mean PS 4S.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
It's just the way things work now and people need to accept it, tech industry moves alot quicker and your tech is oudated alot sooner.

This will be for VR I am guessing, let's face it the only games that are going to run in vr on the current ps4 specs are going to look VERY dated and gimmicky.
 

·
PC Evangelist
Joined
·
46,984 Posts
Would you need HDMI 2.0 to get 4K with this? Aren't all the content on Consoles 30Hz especially if they are going to run 4K?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Honestly all they would have to do is add the ability to play Ultra HD Blurays and it would be worth the upgrade. They keep the price range in $400-500 (cheapest 4K bluray player at the moment is $400) and it'll sell itself. This is what they did with the original PS3 and it was basically the same price or cheaper than other Bluray players at the time. I currently have a PS4, but I would gladly trade it in for $200 credit towards a beefed up Ultra HD Bluray-capable system in a heartbeat.
 

·
Simpleton
Joined
·
1,894 Posts
so what is mspy going to do now ? xbox one one/ xbox one 4k ? i hope this time they wont use that weird ddr3+edram setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,685 Posts
Sony deserve applause for making this move and breaking the 20 year old habit of using the same outdated hardware for years and years.
Giving customers a choice, to keep their current outdated hardware, or pay more and get one that can do more pixels and details in games.
Perfectly executed now that virtual reality and 4K is on the move. Should create a decent amount of sales.

So you self entitles jerks can cry all you want: Your PS4 isnt breaking because of this new console. Sony isnt backing out and stopping support for 40M PS4 users when this arrives. Your PS4 still works and can do exactly the performance you paid for.

Move along or be left in the dust. Consoles are finally evolving just like PCs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicClocker View Post

Source

A fantastic read!
So it appears that they have sourced and found out that a new PlayStation is being created, this poses many questions as to what this new machine will be capable of.
I disagree with the article.

There are peripherals in the current market that, were Sony to utilize in a different way...They very much could actually achieve 4k in a mass-market console...

I'm not saying 4k gaming but, 4k capable media is within reach.

They also need to beef up the system specs to handle VR.

Truth is, I'd buy one just for the upgraded console gaming experience, honestly.
 

·
Simpleton
Joined
·
1,894 Posts
but who is going to upgrade since fps/resolution are just numbers, and it's the game-play that matters. no? and what happened to cheaper than pc ?
lachen.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
I honestly dont understand why so many people think (and are "reporting") that this only going to be a half step and not just a new generation of consoles completely. before the xbox 360 and ps3 console lifespans were much shorter and some of the main reasons why sony and microsoft kept them longer was due to the enormous cost that sony had developing the blu ray drives laser and a recession. no one was going to buy a new console when a lot of people were losing their homes/jobs. Both sony and microsoft cheaped out a little too much this generation. Even being so close to the metal most games cant even do 1080p let alone 60fps. I understand microsoft and sony both wanted to save money on the hardware this generation but they went a little too far.

With 4k televisions getting fairly cheap and the big push for vr this year i honestly think the next generation will come much sooner than most expect. while there will be very few vr titles for most of this year by the end of next i expect that number to jump much higher. also AMD will have a processor on a 14nm process, new architecture, and hbm 2.0 in mass production by then. i can also see the rumor of upgrade consoles being true but NOT for this generation which some people are reporting. The best way (in my opinion) would be to have an external gpu (which amd is very interested in) have it be a laptop class gpu and have it connect up to a console via thunderbolt. you could leverage both the internal gpu and the external one for crossfire. It makes sense given the recent release of the radeon pro duo being targeted at developers. now i wonder why amd is pushing developers to start getting use to having crossfire in mind when creating their games
smile.gif


As the article state I think option one is much more likely than anythign else. I know that would be a very short life cycle for the xbox one/ps4 but it is quite clear that this hardware is not going to be suitable til the 2019-2020 time frame
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightDee8D View Post

but who is going to upgrade since fps/resolution are just numbers, and it's the game-play that matters. no? and what happened to cheaper than pc ?
lachen.gif
I forget when the survey was done but, people don't only buy consoles for the "cheaper than a PC" situation - They buy consoles because it's everything, right there, one simple package, all you do is plug in a disc. Don't have to fight compatibility, download 5 different things - It's simple.

Now make the same argument for VR.

Profit.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,631 Posts
good if I can return my old PS4 and get a discount for PS4K

bad if I can't.

To be honest many gaming related forums will be an absolute disaster if this PS4K actually comes out. Playstation fanboys are by far the worst and they are unbearable at times, especially when a new exclusive Playstation game comes out like Bloodborne or Uncharted.

I have a PS1,2,4 and have played many games on the PS3, but Playstation fanboys literally would jump at you if don't worship every single Playstation game and overhype it like there is no tomorrow.

Still looking forward to the PS4K (if this rumor turns out to be true) although I don't have a 4K TV yet. Maybe the good ones will be affordable in 2017
thinking.gif
 

·
Simpleton
Joined
·
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

I forget when the survey was done but, people don't only buy consoles for the "cheaper than a PC" situation - They buy consoles because it's everything, right there, one simple package, all you do is plug in a disc. Don't have to fight compatibility, download 5 different things - It's simple.

Now make the same argument for VR.

Profit.
really ? because thats the thing i see most of the time.

and where did i said anything about vr. still we'll see how it goes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightDee8D View Post

really ? because thats the thing i see most of the time.

and where did i said anything about vr. still we'll see how it goes.
Ask any dude at Best Buy - Parents want to buy their kids something easy they don't have to "screw around with". - BAM - Majority of all console sales.

You didn't. I expanded on the premise of your argument with reality. (haha punny guy) Thus it's even on a separate line, as a separate counter-argument to your actual premise.

VR is a reality and is apparently the "next coming" of our market...You really think Sony isn't going to try to cash in on that in any way possible?

4k is a realistic and attainable goal but, VR drops before 4k is going to be standard.

1080 STILL isn't standard for the majority of consumers - In fact, we really just solidified 720p as standard. So, there's that too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightDee8D View Post

really ? because thats the thing i see most of the time.

and where did i said anything about vr. still we'll see how it goes.
I completely agree, people do buy for the simplisity but if you then start charging them £400 - £500 every 3 - 4 years ( 2013 release date for the PS4 ) and you suddenly have an unhappy customer base. Not only that but the "decent" development cycle of games these days is about 4 years, I feel the PS4 is just hitting it's stride with games. Inface this gen of consoles is being one of the most forgettable so far. Maybe they'll be more.

I'm hoping this is a new VR 4k marketed console and my PS4 will be kept for afew more years.
 
1 - 20 of 439 Posts
Top