Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source

Quote:
Quantum Break has arrived on the PC and to suggest that the results are disappointing would be a massive understatement. PC gamers are left out in the cold with another high profile release failing to deliver expected levels of performance, features and customisation. As things stand, it simply isn't possible to achieve a smooth frame-rate on any PC hardware configuration and thanks to the profound limitations imposed on gamers by the Universal Windows Platform, there's no way to fix it.

In situations like this, it's hard not to sympathise with the developer to a certain extent - and it's an especially surprising situation as Remedy is well known for delivering excellent PC products. But perhaps this port simply needed more time to adapt into a series of new systems imposed on it - Quantum Break makes use of the relatively new DirectX 12 API and it has to cope with UWP too. The game's core design is tailored to squeeze every ounce of performance out of the Xbox One console. While Microsoft's universal approach to app development is designed specifically to enable easier cross-platform development, it's clear that high-end games still require special care.

While we feel for Remedy, the reality is that Microsoft is still asking customers to fork out £49.99 for a game that just doesn't work as it should. When a PC equipped with the fastest hardware available falls short of the consistency offered by a far less capable console, you know there's something wrong.

I have no idea what is at fault here, Microsoft's UWA, DX12, or Remedy.

It renders at non native resolutions, it runs bad, and it barely looks better than the Xbox One version, while demanding high spec hardware to run it.

I'm lost for words, I can't believe Remedy put out a PC version that is this bad.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The Windows Store and UWP is not the problem. The developer is the problem. It's there job to deliver a quality product on the designated platform. Perhaps they were rushed, had a limited budget, or just haven't adjusted to the UWP platform. Regardless, it was there job to make a quality product.

I also get that UWP prevents the modding community from fixing the game, or limits the AMD and Nvidia from fixing it with drivers. But, it's not there job to fix the game... It's the developers job. I also can't blame UWP because look how many broken games come out... A Lot and have been long before UWP. This has been a trend for awhile now. PC gamers always have to wait and see if a game is broken and how bad every time because it happens so often. So you can't blame UWP because there were dozens of other broken PC games before UWP even came along. TB has to do a port report every time just to see how bad the developer screwed things up. So to put the blame on UWP on this one seems unfair. It's the developers just like it has been the last dozen broken games.

·
Premium Member
7,990 Posts
Careful guys, we don't want to jump to any conclusions here. UWP is the future of PC gaming from what I've been hearing on the forums so we don't want to criticize it now.
rolleyes.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: delerious

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depauville Kid View Post

The Windows Store and UWP is not the problem. The developer is the problem. It's there job to deliver a quality product on the designated platform. Perhaps they were rushed, had a limited budget, or just haven't adjusted to the UWP platform. Regardless, it was there job to make a quality product.

I also get that UWP prevents the modding community from fixing the game, or limits the AMD and Nvidia from fixing it with drivers. But, it's not there job to fix the game... It's the developers job. I also can't blame UWP because look how many broken games come out... A Lot and have been long before UWP. This has been a trend for awhile now. PC gamers always have to wait and see if a game is broken and how bad every time because it happens so often. So you can't blame UWP because there were dozens of other broken PC games before UWP even came along. TB has to do a port report every time just to see how bad the developer screwed things up. So to put the blame on UWP on this one seems unfair. It's the developers just like it has been the last dozen broken games.
Yes, PC games have been pretty crappy lately. But it's KNOWN that the Windows Store/UWP has been causing several issues. No multi-GPU support, fixed frame rates/V-sync issues, locked down for developers based on what I've read (as in it makes it hard for them to make changes). It's certainly Games for Windows Live 2.0. This isn't the first game to have issues with this platform and I'm sure it'll be far from the last. So yes, some issues may be related to Remedy but Microsoft is far from being blameless. I'll try to find the link but even the developers admitted in an interview that the UWP platform is jacked up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

Careful guys, we don't want to jump to any conclusions here. UWP is the future of PC gaming from what I've been hearing on the forums so we don't want to criticize it now.
rolleyes.gif
Who is saying this stuff? So far it seems pretty universally hated and looked down upon.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Quote:
I have no idea what is at fault here, Microsoft's UWA, DX12, or Remedy.
I have a feeling all three were strong contributors here. Maybe something like this is needed to highlight the 'state of things' and spur corrective action?
tongue.gif

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zealord View Post

This game costs 103,73 $ CAD in europe
rolleyes.gif
I was curious how you came to that and then i noticed it is actually 70 freaking euro in the store.
Compare that to my 55euro Dark Souls 3 pre-order is just wow.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
This game was announced during the Xbox One event back on 21 May 2013 and is published by Microsoft Game Studios, so it's mainly an Xbox One game, with all the usual consequences for PC neglect. Also, during the development of Quantum Break, the CEO and the head of the franchise development departed from the company, so who knows what went on with the game development.

In any case, taking into consideration the Windows 10 / DX 12 releases so far, I can only reaffirm what I said back in July of last year (see below), which is the status quo of game development for the PC as long as there is a conflict of interests. Also, don't let the promise of a unified platform fool you; in fact, the potential for more harm than good is very real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

Tell me, do you really think that DX 12 will make much of a difference when you've got consoles with Netbook class CPUs and lower midrange GPUs on the other side, the weakest one being from the same company delivering Windows 10? The same company that when for the Nth time says that they will finally be taking PC gaming seriously what they have to announce is Xbox One to PC streaming? Give me a break.

As long as they have a console they will always have an ambivalent behaviour and will never fully commit to PC gaming, it's against their interests - all they have to do is keep everybody on the line, but still there - keep doing the minimums and keep moving the goal posts to the near future in hopes that people will keep believing that better days will come. We've been having this for the past 14 years now. I think we can start to draw some conclusions.

·
Have you seen my Baseball
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depauville Kid View Post

The windows store may not be responsible for the poor performance of this game, but it is most definitely a problem. I can't even download off that app store now, and it's a widespread issue. MS hasn't even bothered to fix it yet.

·
User
2,334 Posts
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
How can UWP be the future of gaming when the only reason it exists is to allow Microsoft's IP's who would be locked to Xbox only to also reach PC.

Their IP's,their rules.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I'm trying to understand where some of you are coming from, what is wrong with more games coming to PC? The concerns everyone has had with UWP should mostly be fixed by May, assuming MS hit that dead-line.

It's not like UWP/Xbox store means Steam and Co. will suddenly disappear, Win32 apps will still function like they normally do, and 3rd-party will be able to use UWP at their own discretion if they wish.

If Microsoft release lackluster ports and have a mediocre store then the only ones they hurt are themselves, no one is forced to buy anything on their store, we just have a ton more Tripple-A's to choose from if we want. Gears is one of my favorite IP, and it looks like i may be able to play Gears 4 without needing to buy an X1, even if they weren't addressing any of our concerns (which they are), worst case scenario is still better than the console version.

·
Premium Member
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidVageta View Post

Who is saying this stuff? So far it seems pretty universally hated and looked down upon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post

How can UWP be the future of gaming when the only reason it exists is to allow Microsoft's IP's who would be locked to Xbox only to also reach PC.

Their IP's,their rules.
Over in yon thread....

http://www.overclock.net/t/1596164/dso-turn-10-all-of-our-games-are-going-to-be-shipping-on-windows-10-pc-and-xbox/0_100
Quote:
Originally Posted by darealist View Post

Windows Store is the future. So many great exclusives coming while Steam continues to be flooded with crappy indies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darealist View Post

I'll take an Xbox'ed PC with exclusive Microsoft games over Valve nickel and dimming the masterrace with awful MOBAs and TF2 microtransactions.
Quote:

Windows store is the future, if....

1: You don't want to mod your games ever again.

2: You don't want to use any utility software such as Afterburner, Shadowplay, Overwolf, etc.... ever again.

3: You prefer to play on a single 1080p monitor, and won't mind titles being locked in performance-wise for console parity.

UWP is an absolutely worthless format that basically turns your PC into a console. Have fun.
Quote:
etc....

I had to clean my glasses and make sure I was reading things correctly when I first saw it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
also i wonder when people gonna start blaming nvidia for not being able to deliver async usage...

because deus ex is coming and they have said its gonna make heavy compute usage on async too then what? who you gonna blame then?again the company ?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post

Their IP's,their rules.
So far they've brought 2 games over (this and GOW) and both have been broken, almost unplayable messes without any of the options that make PC games PC games (and the MS Store version of ROTTR is also awefull compared to the Steam version). That they are charging full top price for. They can keep their IP.

Anyone by now that buys any of MS's "we care about PC gaming" and their constant promises that things will get better are suffering from Battered PC Gamer Syndrome and deserve the crap MS keeps shoveling out.

• Rep+
Reactions: degenn

·
Premium Member
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaSceptre View Post

I'm trying to understand where some of you are coming from, what is wrong with more games coming to PC? The concerns everyone has had with UWP should mostly be fixed by May, assuming MS hit that dead-line.

It's not like UWP/Xbox store means Steam and Co. will suddenly disappear, Win32 apps will still function like they normally do, and 3rd-party will be able to use UWP at their own discretion if they wish.

If Microsoft release lackluster ports and have a mediocre store then the only ones they hurt are themselves, no one is forced to buy anything on their store, we just have a ton more Tripple-A's to choose from if we want. Gears is one of my favorite IP, and it looks like i may be able to play Gears 4 without needing to buy an X1, even if they weren't addressing any of our concerns (which they are), worst case scenario is still better than the console version.
No, sorry. There is a problem. Microsoft having their own store is an excuse for them to pressure partnered publishers into using UWP which will remain riddled with problems until the day it dies just like GFWL did, which means that people not wanting to use the Microsoft store will never see those games in a playable format.

Please don't forget that Windows' last attempt at a cross-platform unifying app resulted in game developers going back after it was discontinued, patching it out of their games and giving out the clean version for free as an apology to all of the gamers that had to suffer through GFWL. The current Microsoft store will not be a better experience, because Microsoft doesn't believe it is in their best interest to make it so, otherwise it would have been done right the first time.

• Rep+
Reactions: degenn

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airfathaaaaa View Post

also i wonder when people gonna start blaming nvidia for not being able to deliver async usage...

because deus ex is coming and they have said its gonna make heavy compute usage on async too then what? who you gonna blame then?again the company ?
They got hooked that is why. No backing down, now!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts