Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOURCE
Quote:
Yu Suzuki is researching Kickstarter, and looking into the possibilities of using it to fund future projects.

Suzuki's always been vocal about how he'd like to return to Shenmue, a series famously cut short after the 2001 sequel, if the chance arose. At yesterday's Shenmue post-mortem at this year's GDC, he said he'd like to make Shenmue 3 with the "right opportunity."

Speaking in an interview today, Eurogamer asked Suzuki that, given his desire to make the game and the fans desire for him to return to the series, whether he'd considered crowd funding the game via Kickstarter.

"Yes," Suzuki answered. "I am researching it."

"Just now, I don't have anything I can say yet," he smiled. "I can't announce right now - but I'm making something."
OGL madness, DirectX12 madness, Snowdrop Engine...Shenmue 3. Shenmue 3

So, can we already declare this years GDC a mayhem of sex&drugs&rock'n'roll?
band.gif
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would be glad to pay for this, never even played the first two games but this would be the bestest way for me to finally start. Awesome.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Do want Shenmue 3 soooo bad.
but there's no sex in Shenmue right ? or is there any ?

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonehxc View Post

SOURCE

Optimised OpenGL madness, DirectX12 madness crapness, Snowdrop Engine...Shenmue 3. Shenmue 3

So, can we already declare this years GDC a mayhem of sex&drugs&rock'n'roll?
band.gif
biggrin.gif
fixed

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Would definitely buy. Shenmue is what made me originally get a Dreamcast (for the 1st one) and an Xbox (for the 2nd one). I'm a really big Shenmue fan haha...not to mention the fact that they, ya know, need to finish the damn story.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Never got to play Shenmue 1, but did get Shenmue 2 for the Xbox, and LOVED it. Wish i could have finished it though
frown.gif

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
How about a quality PC port of both Shenmue 1 and 2. Then when those bring in the cash, move on to a quality PC-exclusive Shenmue 3.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post

How about a quality PC port of both Shenmue 1 and 2. Then when those bring in the cash, move on to a quality PC-exclusive Shenmue 3.
Yes please
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor958 View Post

Yes please
biggrin.gif
I'm sure he'd like to do that but its up to sega. Sega doesn't exactly have a history of making good decisions! They're sitting on some great franchises like streets of rage and golden axe. And why is it so hard to get a 2d sonic on par with the old ones?!

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
I hope people aren't expecting next generation graphics for this game. I am just hoping for a legitimate sequel,and that's it. Nothing else!

Absolute worst time to be broke... What you get on these pledges will have insane collectors value. I'm extremely sad,but happy for whoever can get their hands on some of this good stuff.

·
technologist
4,489 Posts
As much as I love SEGA... (I mean I do run the SEGA fan club here...)

Overrated game is overrated.

I could never get into this series. I just wandered around talking to people in the first one with no direction or idea on what I had to do or where I had to go next. There's many other reasons I don't care for it but I won't elaborate. If people like it, that's great! But it's not for me.

It was one big huge vanity project of Mr. Suzuki, and I believe at the time, the first Shenmue was the most expensive game made to date. Something like $40 million. (And that is precisely why most games suck nowadays, they cost too much money to make and people's expectations for graphics are too high.)

It would be cool to see a new one since this game has such a huge following, but I prefer when Yu Suzuki made stuff like Outrun, Space Harrier and Hang-On.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I'd love to see this made a reality. I played the original 2 on Dreamcast, yes, even #2 when someone hacked in the english subs. They practically invented QTE and it was done tastefully. I loved learning the new moves as well.

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowtek View Post

I hope people aren't expecting next generation graphics for this game. I am just hoping for a legitimate sequel,and that's it. Nothing else!

Absolute worst time to be broke... What you get on these pledges will have insane collectors value. I'm extremely sad,but happy for whoever can get their hands on some of this good stuff.
It is using the Unreal 4 engine.

Shenmue fans crash kickstarter
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankzro View Post

Don't do it. Just let the game die.
Just like we're getting the FF7 remake that everyone wanted to die too ?
biggrin.gif

I would love to play Shemue 3 .. I'll have to dig up 1 + 2 again, Dreamcast has been sat on my desk next to my Saturn for years! ( Can't beat Skies of Arcadia or Panzer dragoon Saga for RPG's nowadays )
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotix View Post

As much as I love SEGA... (I mean I do run the SEGA fan club here...)

Overrated game is overrated.

I could never get into this series. I just wandered around talking to people in the first one with no direction or idea on what I had to do or where I had to go next. There's many other reasons I don't care for it but I won't elaborate. If people like it, that's great! But it's not for me.

It was one big huge vanity project of Mr. Suzuki, and I believe at the time, the first Shenmue was the most expensive game made to date. Something like $40 million. (And that is precisely why most games suck nowadays, they cost too much money to make and people's expectations for graphics are too high.)

It would be cool to see a new one since this game has such a huge following, but I prefer when Yu Suzuki made stuff like Outrun, Space Harrier and Hang-On.
Dude if you think about it... 40 million on a game with more system and side crap than there was story was a waste of money. Bet it cost Square 10 times less money for FF7 and FF8 and those are 100% story driven and are loved even more. To me Shenmue was a very complicated game... really long for no reason and took years to develop. Shenmue would have made a better MMO somehow vs. Being a stand alone game with not much to offer in that 40 million dollar budget except for ok voice acting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts