Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like think about it, Ever had a time where you say, ordered up parts for your rig or something from scratch and quickly regretted not forking out more money? waiting a little bit? etc?

I have a few times, Most notably with this 8800GTS which was never exactly what I wanted, I just felt like i was spending too much when i built my rig and didnt order the 9800GX2 I really wanted at the time...I quite regret it sometimes (as i likely wouldnt care about upgrading right now!)

I mean its a great card, its just from day one I felt it was not quite enough for my system...I went from a dedicated gaming computer and seperate photography workstation to consolodating my two computers into one, increasing what i needed for graphics power multi-fold (Going from a 1024x768 LCD to a 1920x1080 one, as well as driving TWO displays at once..)

Again, not a bad card, just wasnt quite the best bang for buck in my situation...and i shoulda gone up to the 9800 GX2 or so...

Well live and learn i suppose

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
My graphics card changes weekly.
I am never satisfied.. Its a curse..
(Whoever guesses what movie that is from gets a cookie)

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
You should have gotten 3 gts 250's or at least a gtx 260 or higher. 9800gx2 is old and just meh.

I've never had that feeling like you did.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Its okay, about 2 months after I bought my 4870, the 5xxx series came out...yay me.
Luckily I'll have a 5xxx series sometime this week since I just sold my 4870. But still, I was pretty sad when the new cards hit right when I got my 4870.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Meh, never really had the problem. When I went from a 4850 down to a 4770 I was disappointed, but then I overclocked it. I got about 10 FPS more than 4850 (which could not OC with crap). After that moved a GTX260 which was a nice upgrade. Got it for 179 bucks free shipping

After 2 months the 5xxx series came out and I got a 5770. Know the card was a sidestep of the GTX260, I really didn't mind. Then I went multi GPU for the first time in my life and HOLY CRAP!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yes. I had an 8600GT 1gb before my current GT240.

It was cheap when I got it but it was never able to run Gears of War smoothly and so I ended up regretting the purchase and not forking out more money for a proper card and PSU.

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
i was happy with my 8800gt for 2 years and now im happy with my 5870 iv regretted other stuff but not my gpus i been pretty picky with them.

·
Banned
916 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contagion
View Post

blades of glory?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contagion
View Post

Blades Of Glory? Crap someone beat me to it.

·
Why is it smoking?
4,058 Posts
I don't really regret the card I have now, but I seriously considered going with a 260 or a 4870 1GB when I bought it. I'd still like to have a 260, but this 4870 is really enough for the games I play.

The only card I ever really regretted was a 1950Pro. It was a decent performer at the time, but it couldn't OC at all, it was more or less useless for Linux, and it was fairly well stomped by the 7900GS. I ended up trading it here on OCN for a vmodded 7900GS, which is still kicking in my son's rig.

·
Banned
916 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuilT1
View Post

Blades Of Glory? Crap someone beat me to it.

ahahah my phenom is faster then yours, that proves it

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief
View Post

You should have gotten 3 gts 250's or at least a gtx 260 or higher. 9800gx2 is old and just meh.

I've never had that feeling like you did.

It was 2 years ago, the GTX2xx series didnt exist yet, the 9800 GX2 was BRAND new, and i sorta went "Eh...it'll do"

I was originally going to do 8800 GTs in SLI but the GTS was like $20 more and so i jumped on it..I was planning to SLI in a month or two but stopped myself..i think maybe you couldnt do dual monitors on SLI at the time (I think that might also be why i didnt do the GX2...its hard to remember)

I just know that because i doubled my resolution practically as wel as went to a second monitor, my framerates didnt really "improve" over my 7900GT much...

I just didnt take as big of a step as i needed to..thats all

Funny enough, my 7900GT was one of the BEST cards I ever had for longevity, 3 years and it just did what i asked, it played games very competently, even up to CoD4 and that...Heck i think it even ran the Crysis demo ok...Its up there with my GeForce2 GTS as the best card I ever bought

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Boy
View Post

blades of glory?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Special_K
View Post

Try buying two 8800gtx's shortly after release, paying 1300$ CASH not charged, and then selling them later for a grand total of 140$.

Ooh...ouch dude

·
Registered
295 Posts
bought an 8600gt (msi twin turbo) and couldve had a 3870 for 10 dollars more.....regretted big time...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yes and no. I love my card, don't get me wrong, but about two weeks after I bought it, they launched the 216 core version. At that point, I had heard about but was not familiar with EVGA's Step Up Program and thus never considered participating until it was too late. Fortunately, I didn't lose too much but I got a lot of ridicule from my friends for not reading up and waiting.

·
Registered
203 Posts
When I bought my HD4870, my mind was blown since this was my first time gaming on an actual "rig" (previous machine was an Athlon 64 @ 2.2GHz w/ 8600GT 512MB), but I'm not sure if it's a 'regret' thing that I'm starting to feel, but I just want MORE! I've set my eyes on the HD5850 (oh, and to upgrade my proc to a Phenom II X4 965 or a new X6
) for my next hardware purchase, even though this 4870 kicks major ass.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts