Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm completely new to the "pro" way of overclocking. I'm learning about the voltages, I've got all the software, etc. One thing that is sticking out like a sore thumb is Everest temps not matching RealTemp.

Example: Everest currently reports a CPU temp of 28c. RealTemp currently reports a CPU temp of 48c. That's a huge difference, so either one of them is really out of calibration or they're monitoring two different things but calling them the same thing. Is there an explanation for this?

Another weird thing I noticed...when RealTemp is open and minimized to tray, the temp will quickly jump from 48c to 53c when I open Everest, and then it drops quickly back down to 48c. Does that small/short period of CPU usage from Everest actually cause a superfast 4c increase/decrease in core temps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap...I didn't know that about the e8400 sensors.


Well, I guess I can just watch both of them and figure out an average and assume that's the temp I'm currently running at. Not any safer/more dangerous than watching just one or the other if you think about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,777 Posts
Use cortemp

I'm sure you already know about the E8400s Temp Sensor problems correct? I usually use Coretemp when I had the E8400 and just concentrate on the highest core temp. Usually you are lucky and you will only have one bad sensor rather than both.

In coretemp there is Core0 and Core1, Core1 was the one that worked for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by That_guy3 View Post
Use cortemp

I'm sure you already know about the E8400s Temp Sensor problems correct? I usually use Coretemp when I had the E8400 and just concentrate on the highest core temp. Usually you are lucky and you will only have one bad sensor rather than both.

In coretemp there is Core0 and Core1, Core1 was the one that worked for me.
I actually have never heard about the e8400 temp sensor problems until a few posts up. I still don't know in detail what the problem is, if all e8400s are effected, etc.

Is there a way to find out if one or both of the sensors are bad with my e8400?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny.dot.exe View Post
I actually have never heard about the e8400 temp sensor problems until a few posts up. I still don't know in detail what the problem is, if all e8400s are effected, etc.

Is there a way to find out if one or both of the sensors are bad with my e8400?

yes, The older batches I think. Not sure about new ones, But pretty much every E8400 that I have seen has been affected/defective.

If your really anal about your temp (much LIKE I WAS)

you can maybe a get a temp sensor you can mount under your CPU heatsink in the center of the cpu, It will hook up to an LCd on the front of the case in an Expansion slot and will give you a visual readout of what you temps are.

Zalman Makes such a thing, And so does NZXT.

but yes you are correct, Nearly all of the E8400s have faulty sensors
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
use realtemp or coretemp. i'm not sure which one suits your cpu better, i find coretemp more accurate with mine. realtemp shows +5C compared to coretemp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may just stick it out with Everest + RealTemp until I can get an axillary sensor installed, and just use whichever one of my Temp programs matches the readout. I planned on swapping out my Thermaltake Silent 775D cooler for something bigger/better anyways, which will give me access to the CPU for that sensor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny.dot.exe View Post
I may just stick it out with Everest + RealTemp until I can get an axillary sensor installed, and just use whichever one of my Temp programs matches the readout. I planned on swapping out my Thermaltake Silent 775D cooler for something bigger/better anyways, which will give me access to the CPU for that sensor.


If your interested in staying on air, I had one mounted under a Zalman 9700/9600 a True, And Xigmatek makes some good heatsinks as well.

If your ever interested in really cooling that beast you can check out the Watercooling section in our forum and there are plenty of guys over there that could help you get the best for your money, Also our for sale Forum has some great deals all hours of the day with plenty of repectful people to do business with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,179 Posts
I have a feeling your reading the CPU Tcase temp with Everest and obviously the core temps with RealTemp. RealTemp also has a "Sensor test" you can use to test if you have stuck sensors. Think you need to have prime95 to use it though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,511 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by johnny.dot.exe
View Post

Example: Everest currently reports a CPU temp of 28c. RealTemp currently reports a CPU temp of 48c.

Are you sure you are reading the same sensors?
Realtemp is showing you the CPU core temp, and i think you are just reading the CPU temp in Everest!
Open Everest and Click computer then sensor, and have a look down the list to see
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:


Originally Posted by ACHILEE5
View Post

Are you sure you are reading the same sensors?
Realtemp is showing you the CPU core temp, and i think you are just reading the CPU temp in Everest!
Open Everest and Click computer then sensor, and have a look down the list to see


I refuse to confirm nor deny this accusation.

...brb while I uncheck CPU Temp and check the Core Temps.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,511 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by R00ST3R
View Post

I have a feeling your reading the CPU Tcase temp with Everest and obviously the core temps with RealTemp. RealTemp also has a "Sensor test" you can use to test if you have stuck sensors. Think you need to have prime95 to use it though.


Quote:


Originally Posted by johnny.dot.exe
View Post

I refuse to confirm nor deny this accusation.

...brb while I uncheck CPU Temp and check the Core Temps.


If it was worth a rep+, give it too R00ST3R as he beat me too it

He must have finished his post as i started mine
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,703 Posts
I don't like coretemp or realtemp. Everest is the one I use and rely on.

I just want a temperature reading, I don't want to have to work out the TJmax of my CPU.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,511 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Kryten
View Post

I don't like coretemp or realtemp. Everest is the one I use and rely on.

I just want a temperature reading, I don't want to have to work out the TJmax of my CPU.

I like how you can have it displayed on your Vista side bar, and on the G15s LCD display
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top