Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am thinking about starting a watercooling project. What are all the parts I need? I need ones that are cheep work good and are easy to install.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about just getting like the Big Water SE. Thats a whole kit and only costs about $130. Does that have everything you need?

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Most people here aren't fans of kits. The bigwater isn't that great. You're better off with a custom kit. You'll get better temps and it won't be that much over $150 if you do it right.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by simon741

Why are they so bad? Reasonably priced.

So are Dells... they are resonable price. The reason they are bad is they are selling you not so much for a lot. You can build a GREAT custom setup for under $150. Why would you buy a kit when you wouldn't buy a prebuild computer. It is the same thing.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi

Watercooling kits are watercoolers version of Dell....

Are you gonna say that about Swiftech too? It really depends on the kit. Some are good, several are decent, and many suck... you just gotta know the difference between them.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transonic

Are you gonna say that about Swiftech too? It really depends on the kit. Some are good, several are decent, and many suck... you just gotta know the difference between them.

The difference between a Swiftech kit and other kits is that Swiftech's parts are good enough to sell by themselves. You don't see thermaltake marketing that crappy pump that goes with the Big Water by itself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
danger den blocks
blackice rad
any resivoir depends on what u have room for
when looking for pumps look for higher GPH (galons per hour)

thats what id get

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by simon741

What about just getting like the Big Water SE. Thats a whole kit and only costs about $130. Does that have everything you need?

Hey Simon,

Here's my $.02 worth--if not completely satisfied, your money cheerfully refunded.

I'm looking at the same decision. I'd say the answer depends upon your priorities--if silence and portability are not big concerns, and you want the ultimate in performance for extreme overclocking, I agree with the folks who say go with a hard core WC kit or custom. Like a Dell, the Bigwater will not impress uber geeks.

My goals for WC are portability, better cooling than air (though not the ultimate), silence, and quality. I picked the BigWater. I'll be cooling my 64 x2 4200+ and 7800 GT (using TT's Aquarius waterblock) on an Asus A8N-SLI Premium, eliminating CPU, Mobo and VGA fans.

Specifically:

Portability: I summer and winter in different places, and want a solution that I can ship without dissasembly or damage (draining is okay). The high-performance-but-quiet air heatsinks are big and heavy, and I'd be afraid that they would destroy my CPU if I transported without disassembly. And a completely internal solution is easier to ship.

Better cooling: Reviews say that the Bigwater yields temps lower than even outrageously loud air coolers, with almost complete silence. They say its performance isn't as good as the best bigger-louder-costlier WCs, but surprisingly good.

Silence: Very important to me. Reviews say the BigWater maintains its performance even with it's fan turned down to near silence, and it's pump is very quiet. It will also fit entirely inside the Antec P180 case I just bought, muffling it further.

Quality: reviews say the unit is well made, with smooth waterblock and secure connections. And the components are designed to work together. For example, a higher volume pump might make a big improvement with one set of components, but little with another, and it might cause unwanted side effects like noise, etc. Of course such challenges are the hobbiest's bread and butter--depends if you want to tweak or not.

So if you want the ultimate in cooling, hold out for something bigger and/or more expensive. (Mine was $114 at zzf.) But, despite it's lack of bragging rights, the BigWater appears to be a nice entry-level system. I'll let you know.

Hope this helps, good luck, and have fun!

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well that helps a lot. No I dont need uber performnace. I wanted something cheap and easy since I dont really know anything about wcing. So I guess I will look into the bigwater. If any of you have objections please tell me.EDIT: How big is it? I need to know if there will be room in my case. Maybe I'll buy a new case and reinstall all of my parts. Ive never built a PC before so this would be a good experience. I just dont want to break any of my stuff since Im a nub builder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts