Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I have a long post about my problems on another forum. But I still am seeking help. I will try to make this one simpler.

I have a problem where my gpu wont clock above 139mhz at load. Some times it will run at normal clocks periodically, but it will go back to 139mhz no matter the load.

My cpu and gpu temps are good. never exceeding 50c on either. Both the cpu and the gpu have never been OC. Windows pwr settings are set to high performance. In nvidia control panel I have tried both pref max performance, and adaptive. I have tried reseating the card. And I have tried going back to my old gpu to make sure my pci slot was good. I have good power in hwmonitor so I am assuming the power is running fine. I have a evga 850 bronze psu. (only a few months old.) In gpu z when I am seeing the low clocks at load its telling me perfcap reason: pwr. And I can see the card getting less power at that time. (See pic.) Like I said sometimes the clocks will good back up briefly, and you can see that where the watt hit over 100watt in the pic. I ran fire strike and cringed the whole time, To see if it would be the 12v or 5v rail fluctuating. It didn't... So I still think the computer has a good psu.

What would cause the card to decrease its power intake at load... I have even tried new gpu and mobo bios. Both flashes worked great no problems, but didn't fix this issue. (And I trust the bios I got from techpowerup.) I am at a lost and need to know if I should RMA the card. I am planing on going to a local computer shop and testing it in a new machine.

Link to pics.
https://imgur.com/T8CnMJm
https://imgur.com/GRNg8RN

PC specs.
850w evga bronze psu
250 crucial ssd
500 crucial ssd
500 HDD
i7 4790k
20gig kingston ddr3
evga gtx 1080ti ftw 3 hybrid.
win10 64 bit pro

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I'd try DDU then install your driver.
If this is a new GPU and you had a different one before this would be the logical first step.

Which PSU is it? Just curious.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry forgot to mention. I have tried 12 drivers now using ddu in safe mode between them.

I refuse to tell you what psu it is as my OP stated it not only once but twice.

·
High Clocker
3,451 Posts
139mhz is safemode clocks.
Does that if there is a problem with the power delivery mostly (Too agress shunt mod) But also too much pressure on the die will cause it to go into safemode (learnt that myself from using AIO coolers on Nvidia cards with custom brackets)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm Should I try using another psu then? I have a old 750wat psu that I was using before I got the 850wat/gpu. (Bought 'um at the same time.)
HWMonitor shows the correct voltage from what I can tell.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
It doesn't say anywhere what PSU you have. EVGA 850w bronze isn't a PSU it's a specification and make.

Since your GPU is in SOS mode it's a valid question.

·
High Clocker
3,451 Posts
Id try that other PSU. If still the same issue RMA since youv covered any software issues, If you havnt done any hard mods then your just risking your warranty checking block tension and stuff like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I have not done any hardware mods (and still have warranty on the card.) But its only a few months old, so I'm wondering if its from the psu now... Will let you know.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
The PSU is pretty bad imo.

"Although it registers a fairly high performance per dollar score thanks to its affordable price, the unit's absolute performance isn't up to the levels we want to see. Load regulation is very loose, ripple suppression on the minor rails is mediocre, and the 3.3V rail's transient response is weak. To make matters worse, the efficiency levels are quite low, the inrush current under both voltage inputs (115V and 230V) is high, and the cooling fan is loud, even though it uses a reliable bearing. In order to keep the Teapo SC capacitors on the secondary side cool (along with the SBRs responsible for rectifying the +12V rail), HEC went with an aggressive fan profile that sets the minimum rotational speed at 1120 RPM! So, if you hate noisy PSUs, stay away from this one."
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-bq-series-850w-psu,4842-11.html

It wouldn't surprise me if many of these units were faulty out of the box.

I'd retun it and get a Seasonic Focus or any quality PSU if you narrow it down to the unit...or if you don't.

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
I know this may not be helpful, but I had the exact same thing with my old GTX 670. A driver crash would cause it. After recovery it would be clock as low as it could go.

Have you had anything like this? The screen would go black for a very short time, then the performance would suck and the clock speed would be locked a min.

In the end my card was defective and more demanding games would crash the system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive never had the drivers give me any errors or strange screen black outs...

I tried to use a old psu (rosewill 750w) but it doesn't have 2, 8 pin pci-e connectors... So I couldn't use that to rule out or test with.

I will be going to a local pc shop tomorrow and testing it on their bench to see what I can narrow down too... If its the PSU or not.
Will keep ya informed in case some one else has this issue and finds this helpful.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
If you have a bridge you can use that to test it but if you do you don't want to run the card at full tilt. Most games with a 60fps cap should be fine for testing it. Or use their test bench, that's pretty convenient IMO. I wish we had a PC shop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok went on down to a PC shop, and they told me its prob my mobo.

We bench tested the psu its all good to go.

So I will be buying a new cpu, mobo, and ram to see if I can go back to gaming with out head aches.

Will keep ya posted once I confirm if its the board or not.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
What are they calling a bench test for a PSU?
Did you put the card in another working rig to make sure it's ok?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts