Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I recently won the newegg lottery and was able to get a 3080 FTW3 and EVGA G3 850W PSU. I ran the auto OC and PX1 gave me +120 core and +200 memory offset. I've been messing around with OC and UV settings using time spy stress testing and +130 core and +500 memory seemed to be stable. Then I tried Port Royal stress testing and the system was rebooting. So then I put the 3080 back to stock and it still can't complete the stress test and reboots? Vram temps are 84 degrees or less. GPU core is 72 degrees

Here's my system
Aorus B550 Master
5800x
EVGA G3 850W PSU
Vengeance 32 GB 3200 Ram
Lian Li 011 with 9 fans
Scythe Fuma

Is this normal or should I RMA?

Is it the possibly the PSU? I have a 1 year old EVGA G3 750W that I could try without too much hassle I guess.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Since GPU and PSU are both within EVGA warranty, call tech support. They will likely RMA both.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Before calling support reset cmos to make sure it isn't the bios. Then if it still reboots it's probably the psu.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Are you running all 3 power connectors on the 3080 using 3 separate independent cables to the PSU?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Switched out the new 850 with my older 750…
Running the stress test now with no OC

·
Robotic Chemist
4,099 Posts
Does it reboot with the old PSU too?

Yes
3 separate cables but that shouldn’t matter anyway??
Aren’t they all connected to the same rail?
Running too much current through the wires could cause issues, but probably not the reboots you are seeing. Still good practice though.

We have also seen PSUs that claim to be single rail but aren't really. No idea if that EVGA is one of them. :p

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
RMA it with EVGA, if you have a credit card and don't want to hurt your liquid assets, ask them to cross ship and get a refund before the end of the month. That way you get your card super fast.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm pretty sure when the 3080's came out that EVGA rep posted on their forums you only really needed to connect 2 power cables. I have three so can't really comment. You could check their (evga) forums of course.

The rebooting is generally a classic sign of a power issue. Looking at your system it doesn't really seem like you should have one. I also have a EVGA power supply but it's one of the P2 variants.

Wouldn't hurt to contact their RMA people. No idea how long that will take with supply what it is. I'd also suggest going to their website and reading through the RTS 30 series forum for similar. No doubt someone has run into this over there.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It’s the new psu. I hooked up my older 750w G3 and don’t have reboots…

re: 2 v 3 cables
There’s in 6 live wires in the 6+2 pins and standard cables are 18 gauge which can comfortably handle 5 amps or 60 w per wire. That’s 360 w per cable, so yeah. 2 cables should be perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
It’s the new psu. I hooked up my older 750w G3 and don’t have reboots…

re: 2 v 3 cables
There’s in 6 live wires in the 6+2 pins and standard cables are 18 gauge which can comfortably handle 5 amps or 60 w per wire. That’s 360 w per cable, so yeah. 2 cables should be perfectly fine.
Daisy chaining should be fine. But I want to point out to you that the 5A per a 18 gauge estimate depends on length. That rating goes down if the cables are longer. 300mm vs. 600mm for example.

·
Registered
615 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I stand corrected, 3 live wires but 18 gauge can handle 15A at 60 cm, so say 180 W per wire or 540 W per cable. Regardless, at standard cable lengths it should be fine using a 1:2 daisy chain. I can't imagine that the PSU manufactures would include cables that are a fire hazard. After all, they do know what the end user is using these for.

The good news is you guys helped to troubleshoot my problem and it was the power supply. I've got my older 750W G3 hooked up now. Stress testing at +140 core and +500 memory and now and no reboots. Already contacted EVGA and they've already accepted the RMA and I'm sending the 850W back now....

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I'll just leave this here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/pgckqu
Although not the consensus of that thread, I suspect that is a connector problem more than using the pigtail. But using the pigtail adds to the amount of heat seen at the plug. So when you combine a pigtail, a so-so plug connection, and the heat from the gpu itself, this is what you end up with.
What probably happen to this person was the pins making poor contact. More current through less engagement surface area resulted in heat building up and conducting outward.

Either way, this is still a risk of using a pigtail that increases. But I will say, the risk still exist even if you have dedicated cables, just a much reduced risk.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
uh oh. I guess I spoke too soon. The 750W G3 started having reboots during Port Royal stress testing so I installed the new 850W G3 and same result, a black screen followed by a reboot. I don't seem to have issues playing COD though. Core temps in low 70's and the GPU is drawing around 300 W.

Do you think this is a GPU issue or is the G3 just unsuitable for the 3080?? I'm using 3 separate PCIE cables and I happened to swap them out and that didn't seem to help....

·
Registered
615 Posts
uh oh. I guess I spoke too soon. The 750W G3 started having reboots during Port Royal stress testing so I installed the new 850W G3 and same result, a black screen followed by a reboot. I don't seem to have issues playing COD though. Core temps in low 70's and the GPU is drawing around 300 W.

Do you think this is a GPU issue or is the G3 just unsuitable for the 3080?? I'm using 3 separate PCIE cables and I happened to swap them out and that didn't seem to help....
It should be fine. I'm using a RM850x with my 3080ti FTW3.

Have you run DDU? Are you sure there isn't something else that is unstable? CPU/RAM overclock, etc...? Tried bios reset? Although the black screen makes me think vid card. Have you tried underclocking the VRAM just to see if that's the source of instability?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it seemed to be working fine with the G3 750W with 2 PCIE cables. Then I received a new G3 850 with new cables so I decided to change out the daisy chain cables for 3 PCIE cables and concurrent to this I updated my Nvidia drivers. So last night I was thinking the problem might be

a) G3 architecture can't support power spikes
b) might be related to updated driver
c) video card is just bad

I ran DDU last night and reinstalled the most up to date driver and it still rebooted during the port royal stress test. Maybe I'll roll back to an older driver and see if that helps...

·
Registered
550 Posts
it seemed to be working fine with the G3 750W with 2 PCIE cables. Then I received a new G3 850 with new cables so I decided to change out the daisy chain cables for 3 PCIE cables and concurrent to this I updated my Nvidia drivers. So last night I was thinking the problem might be

a) G3 architecture can't support power spikes
b) might be related to updated driver
c) video card is just bad

I ran DDU last night and reinstalled the most up to date driver and it still rebooted during the port royal stress test. Maybe I'll roll back to an older driver and see if that helps...
In my case with a Seasonic 850W, it was the noise being sent back to the PSU through the +12V sense on the 24-pin ATX connector that was causing a shutdown. However, my situation has a difference to yours. Mine was shutting off and staying off. It was not a spontaneous reboot.

The EVGA G3 is a Super Flower platform, so it shouldn't have the same flaw as Seasonic's older Prime platform. Have you checked CPU stability using Corecycler?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts