Overclock.net banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need help deciding between the EVGA FTW3 GTX 1080Ti or the MSI Sea Hawk EK X GTX 1080Ti.

Link to the Sea Hawk: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Ge...HAWK-EK-X.html
Link to the FTW3: https://www.evga.com/products/produc...11G-P4-6696-KR

I have the following questions/concerns when comparing the two cards. I would definitely like to get other people's opinions on these cards.

The FTW3 has a 10+2 phase design, I am not sure what the MSI's is, if anyone knows? The Gaming X is 8+2, if these two cards are mechanically equivalent. The two additional phases already have me leaning towards the FTW3, assuming the Gaming X and Sea Hawk have the same number of phases. Can anyone weigh in on the actual quality, or components of each power stage in terms of FETs/controller? Also is any card known for coil whine, I have read about both cards having coil whine, but also seen that EVGA will RMA for this, not sure about MSI.

Cooling for both cards would somewhat be a wash since I will be using an EK waterblock on either card. I'm running a custom water loop, 480mm radiator solely for the GPU(s), so thermals should be relatively equivalent.

Cost doesn't matter, I already have both cards. I would have to get the waterblock for the EVGA card if I were to keep it but this doesn't impact my decision, also EVGA allows for the waterblock to be put on without voiding warranty. The MSI cards are becoming very hard to obtain new with a warranty, if I ever wanted to run an SLI configuration I think the FTW3 would be easier to track down. Although from what I've been reading SLI is not what it used to be in terms of overall performance.

My main concern would be performance, I want the card that is better suited for overclocking. I would use the computer mainly for gaming, I have a 2560X1440 144Hz, 165Hz overclocked, G-Sync monitor that I will be using and would like to keep frame rates as high as possible. I mostly play PUBG, BF1, and GTA5.

Is there software that I can use for either card to control radiator fans/pump based on temperature of these cards? I'm guessing Speedfan would work for either card?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts