Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Novice OC'er so I am looking for some feedback. Been getting buttery smooth performance at ultra settings (including the dreaded 'god rays') for hours playing FO4 at these settings. Rock solid 60 FPS with no fan noise.

All testing/use done at 2560x1440 on a 27" Asus monitor.

Running Unigine for .5 hrs gets temps at 47c tops with fans at 80% (radiater sandwiched between 2 Corsair fans). However, after 40c or so I never see 2151 again but it stays at 2100 or above. This is peachy for me as I am not a power gamer, nor am I interested in setting any records. But in my research of this card I didn't see any bench numbers so I thought I'd throw this up here to show what can be done and for comparisons, and most of all for questions and comments. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got FPS fluctuation and crashes with the above settings playing Rise of the Tomb Raider. I have the game set on 'Very High' preset, Vsync to Triple Buffered, FXAA Anti-Aliasing, with DirectX 12 off. DirectX 12 seemed to contribute to the unstability but I am not sure...

I have now dropped settings in Afterburner: Core Voltage to 90%, Core Clock to 235MHz, and Memory Clock to 300MHz. This results in max GPU 2138MHz (down from 2151MHz), with a slight decrease in max temp (48c to 47c).

Curiously, I get a pretty big bump in max FPS reported in RotTR's on board benchmark: 145 (up from around 90).

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed a lot of folks using 3DMark so I downloaded the free version. I also noticed when looking at other test results on that site that many if not all showed Core Clock speeds less than 2100Mhz which I was quite surprised by. How can they have higher scores with lower Core Clock settings? Isn't the idea to get that up as high as you can? Is this just something that's done for bench results and not necessarily for actual gaming or whatever?

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I dove into 3DMark determined to see what settings in Afterburner would give me the best results and after many artifacts, tears, and crashes I am impressed with this card. It got the highest score of any EVGA GTX 1070 Ti (details don't reveal which version) among those submitted who had the same CPU (i7 6700K) as me, ranking 12th out of 648. But due to multiple entries by the same machines, I have the 5th place rig!

And since I'm a n00b at this game and all I did was wrap a couple corsairs around the cooler and download the free version of the testing software, well, I think this Hybrid is a pretty darn good card to have. Plus it scores better than 93% of all total submissions.

It was a fun and informative adventure but I think I'm done torturing my card with tests, time to heat it up with what I bought it for: games!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
You can get a higher overall score with more/faster CPU cores, ram and cache which could explain why other's scores are higher at a lower GPU clock. Overclocking your CPU will bump your score.
Unfortunately there's no BIOS editor so overclocking on pascal is dependent on temps if you aren't limited in some other way like TDP. After a certain point you can only go higher by making it cooler so if you want to keep going you can repaste the card with Grizzly or what have you. If TDP limited you can lower the resistance of some shunts on the card with various things (conductive marker and CLU)...there's a thread on just that topic here on OCN.

As for the 93% (congrats!) I've included my 93% from a few years ago using a custom BIOS on a 980 FTW.
Sounds like your card is pretty damn fast.

Attachments

• Rep+
Reactions: trailer park boy

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I never got near your score,love the card though,excellent for a 5760x1080p setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 8700k really wakes this card up. Just got this as an RMA (replacement for my 980ti) and improved my best default Fire Strike by 1k. Went from a 95% to a 96%, not too shabby!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the heads-up on the 8700k. Even though I'm happy with the performance of this rig as is, I'm finding this upgrade/tinkering game to be quite fun and addictive! lol

Now I'm looking hard at Amazon's combo of 8700k and the ROG STRIX Z370-F gaming mobo for $500...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up on the 8700k. Even though I'm happy with the performance of this rig as is, I'm finding this upgrade/tinkering game to be quite fun and addictive! lol

Now I'm looking hard at Amazon's combo of 8700k and the ROG STRIX Z370-F gaming mobo for $500...
Yeah tinkering is definitely the best part of playing with new hardware. Unfortunately my 1070ti did not win the lottery when it comes to the GPU, anything above +160 (2062mhz) isn't stable. Memory is happy at +500 though. Most of the top scores for this card are at 21XX core. Really wish voltage wasn't locked on them.

So far my best 3dmark at stable settings is 20283 ( https://www.3dmark.com/fs/15159035 ).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah tinkering is definitely the best part of playing with new hardware. Unfortunately my 1070ti did not win the lottery when it comes to the GPU, anything above +160 (2062mhz) isn't stable. Memory is happy at +500 though. Most of the top scores for this card are at 21XX core. Really wish voltage wasn't locked on them.

So far my best 3dmark at stable settings is 20283 ( https://www.3dmark.com/fs/15159035 ).
Okay, well I have a n00b question: What is meant by 'stable'? Is that getting thru the benchmark w/o any tearing or artifacts or just getting thru w/o crashing? Is that with V-synch off in NVIDIA control panel and a lower monitor res?

This card seemed to be kinda opposite of what is generally said, at least in these forums, in that boosting the mem clock first with the core clock at zero I could only get the mem clock stable (micron memory according to GPUID) at 300, but, when I started to boost the core, mem seemed more stable and I was able to get to 235 core/350 mem. I dunno, maybe I was doing it wrong or it's because of the old Z170 and the 6700k (OC'ed to 4.5). I've settled for 225/300 to reduce strain/temps so as to increase longevity and reduce fan noise without loosing any significant performance.

At 235/350 I get 17,808 in Fire Strike w/o a tear or artifact, with temps remaining below 45c, which is still a 93% ranking. So even if I get that 1000 boost to my score with a new CPU/mobo combo one has to wonder if it's worth the $500.

But I might just do it anyway!! LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay, well I have a n00b question: What is meant by 'stable'? Is that getting thru the benchmark w/o any tearing or artifacts or just getting thru w/o crashing? Is that with V-synch off in NVIDIA control panel and a lower monitor res?

This card seemed to be kinda opposite of what is generally said, at least in these forums, in that boosting the mem clock first with the core clock at zero I could only get the mem clock stable (micron memory according to GPUID) at 300, but, when I started to boost the core, mem seemed more stable and I was able to get to 235 core/350 mem. I dunno, maybe I was doing it wrong or it's because of the old Z170 and the 6700k (OC'ed to 4.5). I've settled for 225/300 to reduce strain/temps so as to increase longevity and reduce fan noise without loosing any significant performance.
Stable for me is being able to pass various stress tests (3dmark ultra looped, furmark, heaven bench) with 0 crashes, 0 artifacts. Then real world usage for several days worth of gaming. If I get a single driver crash, it's not stable. I benchmark with nvidia control panel settings at default.

I can get through 3dmark with a little higher core, but not reliably. So I don't bother. Unless we're allowed to add voltage some day, this is my max stable OC unfortunately.

Looking at your settings, it's likely that you're throttling under full load. When 3dmark is running, do your clocks stay at peak? I know with a lower core I'm hitting higher than 112 TDP during 3dmark testing. You can use GPU-Z to monitor your cards voltage, limits, etc in real time while benching to see exactly what's going on.

If I lower my power target to 100, I can set any clock speed I want. But it won't actually boost to the same speeds I have now under full load because it will throttle due to the power limit.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts

Stable for me is being able to pass various stress tests (3dmark ultra looped, furmark, heaven bench) with 0 crashes, 0 artifacts. Then real world usage for several days worth of gaming. If I get a single driver crash, it's not stable. I benchmark with nvidia control panel settings at default.

I can get through 3dmark with a little higher core, but not reliably. So I don't bother. Unless we're allowed to add voltage some day, this is my max stable OC unfortunately.

Looking at your settings, it's likely that you're throttling under full load. When 3dmark is running, do your clocks stay at peak? I know with a lower core I'm hitting higher than 112 TDP during 3dmark testing. You can use GPU-Z to monitor your cards voltage, limits, etc in real time while benching to see exactly what's going on.

If I lower my power target to 100, I can set any clock speed I want. But it won't actually boost to the same speeds I have now under full load because it will throttle due to the power limit.
You can try to reTIM the card.
Mine went from 75c load with no OC potential to 60 to 65c under load at 2000mhz in games give or take a few mhz.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank-you. :)

I have the demo 3DMark so I can't run in windowed mode to see GPU-Z. Clock speed always drops around 43c which I think is normal for Pascal so it doesn't always stay at peak. Using Afterburner I can see the clock speed bounce with the different scenes, I would say it fluctuates around 100MHz., but when it stays below that temp threshold it holds at peak.

'Power target' I assume is 'Power Limit (%)' in Afterburner. If I max that (120%) I can get a TDP as high as 118 in Unigine extreme preset stress test with 350 mem boost. Also at that mem boost PerfCap Reason shows flashes of green (Pwr) in the blue so I figured that was the tipping point for the mem clock boost.

So then I dropped the mem clock boost to 300 and found the highest stable core clock boost was around 235MHz and dropped that to 225MHz. Then dropped Power Limit to 112% and Core Voltage to 85%. This keeps temps in some games like FO4 under the temp threshold so the core clock stays as stable as possible at peak.

Sound about right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine went from 75c load with no OC potential to 60 to 65c under load at 2000mhz in games give or take a few mhz.
My core temp never goes above 41-42c when benchmarking, temp is definitely not the issue. These hybrid cards stay very cool.

If I set to +200, it crashes 1 second into the test. +180 always crashes halfway through the second part of the test, etc.

'Power target' I assume is 'Power Limit (%)' in Afterburner. If I max that (120%) I can get a TDP as high as 118 in Unigine extreme preset stress test with 350 mem boost. Also at that mem boost PerfCap Reason shows flashes of green (Pwr) in the blue so I figured that was the tipping point for the mem clock boost.

So then I dropped the mem clock boost to 300 and found the highest stable core clock boost was around 235MHz and dropped that to 225MHz. Then dropped Power Limit to 112% and Core Voltage to 85%. This keeps temps in some games like FO4 under the temp threshold so the core clock stays as stable as possible at peak.

Sound about right?
Can you try enabling logging in GPU-Z during a 3dmark run at your current settings? Be interesting to see if you throttle at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, your core temp stays that low? I thought mine was low, lol. I can default the card in AB, put the fans at full speed and still get 48c as my high temp, the same as I get with the 'stable' OC settings.

I can't find a way to monitor GPU-Z while benching with Fire Strike, however, Afterburner has a Power % readout that I can monitor. By watching that then quitting out of the benchmark and checking GPU-Z I can see that it's showing the same thing although Afterburner tends to be a little lower. I'm seeing highs of 122% in AB and 124% in GPU-Z and getting a lot of green (Pwr) striping in PerfCap.

Anyway, I don't know how to tell if it's 'throttling', nor do I know what all this means. Is it lack of power from my old Z170? Do I need to re-think my fan placement/airflow strategy? Is my card the king of crap? lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, your core temp stays that low? I thought mine was low, lol. I can default the card in AB, put the fans at full speed and still get 48c as my high temp, the same as I get with the 'stable' OC settings.

I can't find a way to monitor GPU-Z while benching with Fire Strike, however, Afterburner has a Power % readout that I can monitor. By watching that then quitting out of the benchmark and checking GPU-Z I can see that it's showing the same thing although Afterburner tends to be a little lower. I'm seeing highs of 122% in AB and 124% in GPU-Z and getting a lot of green (Pwr) striping in PerfCap.

Anyway, I don't know how to tell if it's 'throttling', nor do I know what all this means. Is it lack of power from my old Z170? Do I need to re-think my fan placement/airflow strategy? Is my card the king of crap? lol
In GPU-Z on the Sensors tab, there's a checkbox at the bottom that lets you log output to a file.

Okay so what happens is, when you hit the PWR Perfcap, this means your cards current clocks at the current GPU load are pulling more wattage than is allowed. This will prevent your clockspeed from going higher or throttle it to a number that doesn't hit the cap. You can set +1000 on the core and memory theoretically, but PWR will not let you get anywhere near it.

This isn't an issue with your motherboard or PSU, it's a limit set upon the card so your PCI rail doesn't get overtaxed and your card doesn't burn itself out. The Power Limit slider lets you bump that up a bit. Mine for example is set to 120 power limit with +160 core, which results in a 2062 O/C. In games I usually only use 80-90% TDP, but 3dmark will push it up to 117-118 at times. Especially after looping a few times when the card needs more juice to remain stable.

As for the temps, I'm using a 570X case in a house that's usually around 21c with a 360 rad in the front of the case in push/pull feeding very cool air through my case. So really chilly air gets fed into the hybrid cooler at the back :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks White Owl. I had to look up 'reTIM' lol. I don't think I'm up for that level of tinkering just yet but interesting to know that a GPU can be removed and 're-pasted' for cooling.

In GPU-Z on the Sensors tab, there's a checkbox at the bottom that lets you log output to a file.
I see that now. Below is a readout showing a cross section of the Fire Strike bench where it has a top core speed to start thru the top TDP at the bottom. Catagories in order are: Core Clock, Mem Clock, Temp., and TDP.

I understand your explanation of the Pwr stripes in PerfCap and that that is 'throttling' but I don't see the evidence of throttling in this readout...

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
In the core clock column, your core speed is dropping with the PWR use spikes. GPU-Z isn't on the dot realtime, so it won't always quite appear sync'd up. Your clock speed started out as 2126, but gets into the 20XX speeds several times when you're up above 100 TDP.

If you are seeing no crashes at all in 3dMark with these settings, grats! You got a very stable GPU. Pushing your power limit up will allow the card to downclock less, if you desire. Keeping limit lower will as you said keep your temps a little lower.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool, thanks! I now have a much greater understanding of this stuff!

I pulled the trigger on the Amazon combo: Strix Z370-F + 8700K + Artic Oraco-MX4001-BL MX-4 Thermal Compound Paste. This will be my first mobo swap although I have swapped CPUs before, albeit like 15 yrs ago. lol

So more tinkering to come, oh boy! I'll post back in a week or so when they get here and I get time to operate.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cool, thanks! I now have a much greater understanding of this stuff!

I pulled the trigger on the Amazon combo: Strix Z370-F + 8700K + Artic Oraco-MX4001-BL MX-4 Thermal Compound Paste. This will be my first mobo swap although I have swapped CPUs before, albeit like 15 yrs ago. lol

So more tinkering to come, oh boy! I'll post back in a week or so when they get here and I get time to operate.:)
Keep in mind you'll need a new Windows key, I always forget that keys are linked to the mobo.

Have fun with the 8700k, it runs hotter than hell.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts