Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thread title says it, I know it boils down to luck, but has the EVGA GTX 465 been known to be receptive to being unlocked to a 470?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Depand if it have all the RAM chip.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
The EVGA's have never been known to unlock.

The only ones known to unlock are the older PNY 465's with the Black PCB, the PoV 465's, and the MSI Twin Frozr II GE 465's.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dracotonisamond
View Post

yeah, its not gunna happen. at least not with my EVGA GTX 465. i checked, and it lacks the memory IC's.

if it has all its IC's on the board then its un-lockable. if not then your out of luck.

It isn't the IC's. It's the GPU. If it has the GF-100-275-A3 GPU, it's a 470. The GF-100-030-A3 is a 465 GPU.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I should just look at getting a 460 instead? Or gamble and get the 465?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtyworks View Post
Grab the best deal you can find on either.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Droogie
View Post

It isn't the IC's. It's the GPU. If it has the GF-100-275-A3 GPU, it's a 470. The GF-100-030-A3 is a 465 GPU.

most if not all of the early PNY black PCB's were 470's with disabled SPU's

but some of the later ones were 470's with missing memory chips. which made it so you couldnt flash the card to a 470 without bricking it.

now i do believe there is a separate chip.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtyworks
View Post

465 is faster than a 460 clock for clock.

You'd be a fool not to get a 465 unless you never plan on OC'ing the card. That'd be the only reason to get a 460 (it's clocked higher out of the box).

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, thanks alot

I think I'll get the 465. Its the same price as the 460 I'm looking at right now.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtyworks View Post
Alright, thanks alot

I think I'll get the 465. Its the same price as the 460 I'm looking at right now.
I'd go 460 over 465. They're similar performance wise, but the 460 is cooler, quieter, and draws less power. The 460 is also an overclocking monster if you get the right card (Asus DirectCU or MSI Cyclone).

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
I'd also go 460 over 465 for the same reasons. The difference in performance is minimal, but you save a lot of heat/noise w/ the 460, especially the Cyclone, love mine.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Droogie
View Post

I'd go 460 over 465. They're similar performance wise, but the 460 is cooler, quieter, and draws less power. The 460 is also an overclocking monster if you get the right card (Asus DirectCU or MSI Cyclone).

460 is a limited upgrade path. SLI only while 465 can do tri-SLI.

20 extra watts of power is hardly a reason to go for a slightly less powerful card.

And even if the 460 is clocked extremely high as shown here:
http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/8003...65-review.html

The 465 still beats it at lower clocks occasionally.

If heat or power consumption is an issue then get a 460.

If you want more raw horsepower go with a 465 because it has 16 extra shader processors.

·
2,457 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Droogie View Post
How can you tell? GPUZ?

GPUZ Shot of my GTX465

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
No you can't tell from GPUZ. You have to physically look at the label on the chip to be 100%, although a very careful inspection of the back of the PCB will reveal whether there are 10 memory chips.

The info above is accurate re: which of the few can unlock, and that evga's have never been able to.

And Staryoshi's comparative review of the two cards is excellent for looking at the performance differences. The 465 architecture is more powerful as evidenced by it's domination at equal clocks. However it runs a little hotter and louder and uses a bit more power, and both at stock and at their max OC's the 460 1GB generally wins slightly.

Frankly though I'd be very surprised if you'd ever subjectively notice a difference in your gameplay experience between the two cards, presuming you run them in a comparable situation (i.e. both stock, or both well-OC'd). Thus, if it was my money I'd pay up to about $30 more for a 460 1GB for the power/heat reasons, otherwise I'd get a 465.

·
2,457 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
No you can't tell from GPUZ. You have to physically look at the label on the chip to be 100%, although a very careful inspection of the back of the PCB will reveal whether there are 10 memory chips.

The info above is accurate re: which of the few can unlock, and that evga's have never been able to.

And Staryoshi's comparative review of the two cards is excellent for comparing performance.

I have an Asus and I have heard that they sometimes unlock.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mllrkllr88
View Post

I have an Asus and I have heard that they sometimes unlock.

TTBOMK nobody here on OCN has purported to have done so, but that doesn't mean it's impossible ... just unlikely

1 - 20 of 24 Posts