Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a single EVGA GTX 580 1.5 GB for about two years now, and I feel it's not powerful enough to handle some games at maximum settings. Should I get another gtx 580 on ebay (ranging $170-250) or go straight to gtx 680/780? Also, does SLI still have a lot of problems? I have heard many people said that they get screen tearing/microstutter, etc from SLI.

I think the first route is a lot cheaper and might even provide more power than a gtx 680. However, I am not sure how much SLI has been improved over time.

Just want to hear about your guys' opinion on this. I am sure some people are on the same boat.

Edit: I am currently using one korean monitor and planning to get two more. Can a single GTX 680/780 do tri-screen setup? I play games at 2560x1440 res currently.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I dont think 1.5GB is really enough VRAM anymore, im getting a bit worried about my 2GB GTX 670's.

Why don't you go for a GTX 770 / 780?

I have zero problems with SLI on my GTX 670's, infact i cant live without it. I was blown away when i got my second card. I get no tearing or stutter.

The problem for me is now i have owned SLI cards, i don't want to upgrade to another single card so its going to cost me twice as much!!

Lots of people were telling me about stutter etc but personally i have experienced none what so ever!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I am in the exact same situation and have my single 1.5 580 clocked up to 830-860Mhz and still have been unhappy. I am only playing 1920x1200 and I would expect at 2560x1440 you would run into even bigger issues (no pun intended..). So my current upgrade path that I see for me is to pick up 2 of the 760's 4gb version for around the same cost of a 780 if I remember slightly cheaper. The SLI from what I understand in the 700 series is basically unnoticeable and micro stuttering is basically non existent. The only problem I see is having to use the single card for certain games but even then if you are OC'ing the card I would imagine it would suit really any modern games needs especially if you pick up the 4gb versions of the 760. The 760 by itself is hand in hand with the 670 and OC'ed it outperforms. Keep in mind 760SLI is basically having a Titan in the computer and in many instances it outperforms the Titan at a fraction of the cost. I have been thinking and reading a lot and for me I think this is the best "future proof" option. Hope it helps
smile.gif

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Well i have 1080p and GTX 670 SLI 2GB still isn't enough to get a solid 120FPS, so i need to upgrade at some point. At your resolution you want atleast 3GB VRAM if not more. Dual cards aswell would be good for higher resolutions.

If you got the second GTX 580 you will be utterly dissapointed because 1.5GB VRAM just isn't going to cut it.

I had a single GTX 580 last year, great card but wasn't good enough even for 1080p for me.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I would get a 7950, you can get them for $200 AR now with 3 free games. Im pretty sure the 7950 is just about the best bang for the buck right now, and it has 3GB of Vram. Value for CF 7950 at $400 AR is unbeatable. New catalyst drivers have been working awesome with crossfire.

·
RGB Numba Wan!
23,322 Posts
Tone down aa as that chews up your vram. With a second one you can respectable fps. 3 would be better but now you need a psu to handle them, a 3-way mb, and preferably wc. Now your into money that can get you some newer cards. 670s are coming down in price, so that would be my first choice as they sip power and are fairly cool. Or step up to a 7970/7950 or 760, 680, 770.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts