Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last 3 months, my 660 Ti has started overheating and crashing more and more. Its at a point now where watching netflix on one screen and playing a game on another (I have 3) will crash it within a few minutes. By contrast, when I first got it, I could play run 3 instances of EVE on high graphics settings without so much as an issue. Some quick research has shown this to be a common issue with EVGA 660 Ti's... They start out fine, but then start to crap out within a few months, just getting worse and worse as time goes on.

Anyway, as a result of this, I'm looking to upgrade to something more modern, probably a 960, but with the caveat that I'd like it to last more than 3 years. I don't mind if it falls by the wayside tech-wise, but I don't want hardware failure at least. Do any of the manufacturers rise above the rest these days for quality of construction / hardware used?
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Use IGP for the next 2 months, wait and see how Polaris 10 and mid-range Pascal perform, then buy one of those. New gen shapes up to be pretty cheap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,124 Posts
If it is occurring over time it might actually be a problem with the TIM. If you take the heatsink off you can see if the thermal material is dried up and crusty. If it is clean it off and replace it with something decent and long lasting (MX-4 for the cheaper end is what I generally use). That should fix most of the problem if its not related to the fan dying. Heatsink can also be replaced. Could consider SLI setup if you get your GPU fixed to save some money. I have not been around enough lately to recommend best bang for buck GPU but I am sure someone else can point you in the right direction if you don't want to mess with the one you have. Good luck!
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,124 Posts
Just to be safe look up your model before taking it apart (this of course voids any warranty as well but I assume you don't have one anymore otherwise you would just send it in, right?
tongue.gif
). Some of them use thermal pads ontop of modules so you may have to replace those too. Most GPU I have had were thermal paste only but I have heard of some brands using the pads before.

Thermal paste replacement is an easy job if you have never done it don't just throw it out without trying!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnin426850 View Post

Use IGP for the next 2 months, wait and see how Polaris 10 and mid-range Pascal perform, then buy one of those. New gen shapes up to be pretty cheap.
IGP? also, isn't Pascal a programming language?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfree88 View Post

If it is occurring over time it might actually be a problem with the TIM. If you take the heatsink off you can see if the thermal material is dried up and crusty. If it is clean it off and replace it with something decent and long lasting. That should fix most of the problem if its not related to the fan dying. Heatsink can also be replaced. Could consider SLI setup if you get your GPU fixed to save some money. I have not been around enough lately to recommend best bang for buck GPU but I am sure someone else can point you in the right direction if you don't want to mess with the one you have. Good luck!
thumb.gif
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the TIM... after all, I've never known a manufacturer to use the good stuff when they can get away with using the cheap stuff. That said, my prior experience in attempting to re-up TIM on a video card wasn't all that great, both because I'm not great at working with TIM (always seem to put too much), and probably as well that repeated overheats have probably put some undue wear and tear on the GPU by now. Considering that the card was purchased in 2012, I think its probably time to update anyway.
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfree88 View Post

Just to be safe look up your model before taking it apart (this of course voids any warranty as well but I assume you don't have one anymore otherwise you would just send it in, right?
tongue.gif
). Some of them use thermal pads ontop of modules so you may have to replace those too. Most GPU I have had were thermal paste only but I have heard of some brands using the pads before.

Thermal paste replacement is an easy job if you have never done it don't just throw it out without trying!
You don't 100% need to replace thermal pads though, most of them are reusable unless they are old and baked to point break.
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by treblesum81 View Post

IGP? also, isn't Pascal a programming language?
Yes, and also the name of a mathematician, and Nvidia's new GPU platform.

IGP = Integrated Graphics Processor. Use it in case your GPU dies, don't buy 9xx series now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnin426850 View Post

Yes, and also the name of a mathematician, and Nvidia's new GPU platform.

IGP = Integrated Graphics Processor. Use it in case your GPU dies, don't buy 9xx series now.
I don't think any game I currently play could be handled by on-board graphics if they all stress and overheat a dedicated card...

That said, I can't imagine 9xx series to be that old tech by now and I'm not really willing to wait 6 months for the next gen to arrive. I *might* be able to get a few months out of this current card *if* the problem is that the TIM is old, but if that's not it, I doubt it will be functional at all within 2 months at the rate its deteriorating. In Nov of last year, I was experiencing a crash a month at worst... now I'm getting 5-7 a day.
 

·
Overclocking is my game.
Joined
·
1,924 Posts
Yeah, replacing tim and cleaning the card are the first things I'd do.

I have an old GTX 480 that was artifacting pretty bad, after a quick change of the tim and brushing off the dust bunnies it works perfectly once again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,124 Posts
Yeah they usually need it after a year or so but you void the warranty replacing it for most companies. I think a couple of them actually allow you to do it during warranty but I can't remember the brands. Personally I have been pretty happy with MSI for GPU (but I believe they void warranty if you open them). I wont buy their motherboards anymore but the fan and heatsink quality along with the pricepoint of MSI is great for GPU in my opinion. Day after warranty I change thermal paste
tongue.gif
.
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by treblesum81 View Post

I don't think any game I currently play could be handled by on-board graphics if they all stress and overheat a dedicated card...

That said, I can't imagine 9xx series to be that old tech by now and I'm not really willing to wait 6 months for the next gen to arrive. I *might* be able to get a few months out of this current card *if* the problem is that the TIM is old, but if that's not it, I doubt it will be functional at all within 2 months at the rate its deteriorating. In Nov of last year, I was experiencing a crash a month at worst... now I'm getting 5-7 a day.
Of course they won't run on on-board graphics, but if you want to do the smart thing, you'll wait.
1070 is 2 times faster than 970, and new it will be the same price as second-hand 970.

Also, AMD's mid-range GPUs will be ~980 performance for a third of the price.

Also, it won't be six months, 1080 will be available worldwide literally next week, 1070 to follow shortly, then AMD.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top