Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im not sure what to do both are solid cards but the reason im considering the GTX 670 is because i have 40 evga bucks from folding i can use to buy a card and get it close to the 7950. Im seeing it really depends on the game you are playing to see which is better for you but all around the GTX 670 i am seeing is better.

What do you guys think and which evga card would you go with? Theres to many to choose from in the 2gb range on their site not sure which to choose from.

Thanks!

Marcus

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
I am a big fan of the 670FTW 2GB, and in my opinion it's the best card for the money out there, as well as one of the most versatile.

It's built on the full size 680 board so it has the better cooler but more importantly is compatible with all reference 680 water blocks.
Out of the box overclock is more than adequate, so you can literally plug and play.
The power usage is insanely low, even when OC'd, and as a result it's quite possible to run 3 of these in a system that would limit you to 2 79xx cards in terms of power. The difference between stock SLI and 1300core/6800mem SLI is under 25W!
They overclock incredibly well, with 1300c/6800m being well within the reach of most cards.
There are modified BIOS's out there that increase the voltage from 1.875v to 1.210v, which is worth around another 100Mhz on the core and 200-300 on the memory.
You are within 2.5% or less of a stock 680 with just the factory OC, and you are significantly ahead witha real OC!
SScaling in SLI is better than ever, and the 6xx cards are the only ones that actually feel "finished" when in SLI, as opposed to feeling like a Beta Tester with CrossFire-X or older implementations of SLI. If you were to add a 2nd 670FTW at some point, you'd see a 90% performance increase, if not more, in nearly every game. Adding a 3rd would give you another 45-60%, for a total of around a 150-160 percent increase over a single card. I have never seen a single ATI/AMD setup scale nearly that well (although that's not to say they don't or can't, just that I've not seen it).

I could continue, but the point is, if you want a fantastic card that you will not regret purchasing, the 670FTW is it.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Either would be fine really. Depends on how much you want to spend. If you want to go cheap get the 7950. If you fold alot (I hear the gtx get more points) grab a 670. Need physx get 670.

7950 is a bit more future proof imo.

·
Premium Member
20,326 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post

I am a big fan of the 670FTW 2GB, and in my opinion it's the best card for the money out there, as well as one of the most versatile.

It's built on the full size 680 board so it has the better cooler but more importantly is compatible with all reference 680 water blocks.
Out of the box overclock is more than adequate, so you can literally plug and play.
The power usage is insanely low, even when OC'd, and as a result it's quite possible to run 3 of these in a system that would limit you to 2 79xx cards in terms of power. The difference between stock SLI and 1300core/6800mem SLI is under 25W!
They overclock incredibly well, with 1300c/6800m being well within the reach of most cards.
There are modified BIOS's out there that increase the voltage from 1.875v to 1.210v, which is worth around another 100Mhz on the core and 200-300 on the memory.
You are within 2.5% or less of a stock 680 with just the factory OC, and you are significantly ahead witha real OC!
SScaling in SLI is better than ever, and the 6xx cards are the only ones that actually feel "finished" when in SLI, as opposed to feeling like a Beta Tester with CrossFire-X or older implementations of SLI. If you were to add a 2nd 670FTW at some point, you'd see a 90% performance increase, if not more, in nearly every game. Adding a 3rd would give you another 45-60%, for a total of around a 150-160 percent increase over a single card. I have never seen a single ATI/AMD setup scale nearly that well (although that's not to say they don't or can't, just that I've not seen it).

I could continue, but the point is, if you want a fantastic card that you will not regret purchasing, the 670FTW is it.
Quote:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRacker View Post

I would not judge cards by video memory.
some games are using 2gbs of memeory....so kinda need to toss that into the equation. Even though the 670 is a fine card.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznDud333 View Post

have a 670 here, no regrets...although if playing crysis 3 id grab 2 of them..
I agree. I have no regrets with my 670 either. As far as Crysis 3 is concerned...I refuse to buy any PC game that was intentionally poorly optimized in order to sell hardware. Its just bad business. I played the Alpha for Crysis 3. Its the first time I've ever seen a game go from bad (alpha) to worse (release) as far as optimization is concerned. The eye-candy to performance ratio on Crysis 3 just does not add up!

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I love my 670's. Had just one for about a month while using a 1920x1200 monitor and it gave steller performance. Got a deal on a 2560x1600 monitor so I added a second 670 and have even better performance. Mine are watercooled, but if I were sticking with air I would get a Windforce, Twin Frozr, Direct Cu 2, or EVGA 2 fan model. The blower design isn't nearly as quiet as the other cooler designs.

Cheers
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
You are quite welcome, and feel free to ask anything, I'll try to answer as best I can or direct you to someone who can better answerif I ccannot.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan o' water View Post

I love my 670's. Had just one for about a month while using a 1920x1200 monitor and it gave steller performance. Got a deal on a 2560x1600 monitor so I added a second 670 and have even better performance. Mine are watercooled, but if I were sticking with air I would get a Windforce, Twin Frozr, Direct Cu 2, or EVGA 2 fan model. The blower design isn't nearly as quiet as the other cooler designs.

Cheers
thumb.gif
Whats a good aftermarket cooler option? I have the XSPC water cooler currently but dont really feel like forking the money or the time into looping it to my GPU yet. Whats a good air cooler for the 670?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just bought mine over at frys instead got to keep my evga bucks and get it for the same price with rebate so im happy. 2nd day shipping was only 8 bucks were evga was charging 25 or so. Will be posting back in here when it arrives an my opinion on it. Thanks everyone for their help!

Marcus

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Hello Marcus - You are going to enjoy the 670 a lot.
thumb.gif
Also, if you keep the 560 it will make a nice dedicated PhysX card.

I have not read about any aftermarket coolers for the 670. Preinstalled : Gigabyte Windforce, Asus direct Cu II, MSI Twin Frozr, etc.
I am using the EK Supreme HF universal water blocks and they are doing a great job. Playing the most strenuous games I only see a 23C rise over idle temps!
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18306/ex-blc-1403/EK_VGA_Supremacy_Bridge_Edition_Universal_High_Performance_VGA_Cooling_Block_-_Acetal_EK-VGA_Supremacy_Bridge_Edition_-_Acetal.html?tl=g30c357s922
I added ramsinks and redid the VRM cooling, but lots of people are using the stock vrm cooler.

Cheers
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiMartyr View Post

I agree. I have no regrets with my 670 either. As far as Crysis 3 is concerned...I refuse to buy any PC game that was intentionally poorly optimized in order to sell hardware. Its just bad business. I played the Alpha for Crysis 3. Its the first time I've ever seen a game go from bad (alpha) to worse (release) as far as optimization is concerned. The eye-candy to performance ratio on Crysis 3 just does not add up!
LOL! How exactly?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan o' water View Post

Hello Marcus - You are going to enjoy the 670 a lot.
thumb.gif
Also, if you keep the 560 it will make a nice dedicated PhysX card.

I have not read about any aftermarket coolers for the 670. Preinstalled : Gigabyte Windforce, Asus direct Cu II, MSI Twin Frozr, etc.
I am using the EK Supreme HF universal water blocks and they are doing a great job. Playing the most strenuous games I only see a 23C rise over idle temps!
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18306/ex-blc-1403/EK_VGA_Supremacy_Bridge_Edition_Universal_High_Performance_VGA_Cooling_Block_-_Acetal_EK-VGA_Supremacy_Bridge_Edition_-_Acetal.html?tl=g30c357s922
I added ramsinks and redid the VRM cooling, but lots of people are using the stock vrm cooler.

Cheers
thumb.gif
I dont believe i have ran anything specifically for physx enlighten me on what i could use the 560 for?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts