Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got off the phone with EVGA concerning 2 open tickets for some broken EVGA brand graphics cards that are still under manufacturer warranty according to the serial number, and the rep I talked to on the phone said they are "putting a stop to" warranty requests for 2nd hand purchases. What's up with that? That was a big reason why I went with EVGA for peace of mind if I got a graphics card that was broken or broke during use.

edit for visibility: I got off the phone with a 3rd rep and this is what he said:

Transferable warranty is NOT going away. Second hand warranty is still offered BUT under the following stipulations. Any purchases made after May 25, 2018 will REQUIRE the sales invoice from the original retailer (newegg, amazon, etc). If you purchased a GPU second hand and want to claim warranty, you will need the original owner to give you a copy of the original sales invoice. Any cards registered BEFORE May 25, 2018 does not need this requirement.

So you can still do second hand warranty claims. But you need a copy of the original retailer sales invoice from the original owner. This is really difficult if the GPU has already traded hands away from the OO. :/

edit again, for first page visibility: I got off the phone with another 2 representatives. A "Thomas" made a note on one of my calls that the whole warranty change thing saying that only cards shipped after may 24, 2018 required an original purchase invoice, and before may 24, 2018 still did not require one. It was just commented on a little bit though and I didn't go too much into it. I tried emailing EVGA to get confirmation but got a canned answer about "check our warranty terms". pretty unhelpful.

SOOOOO I called again to get an absolute confirmation concerning this issue. I got a hold of a "Christian" this time and this is what he said. EVGA Cards shipped from the warehouse BEFORE the warranty policy change (May 24/25, 2018) do not need an original purchase invoice, or not even an invoice at all! WOW!. Any cards shipped after the policy changed (May 24/25, 2018) DO NOT need an original purchase invoice either for second hand warranty. The only thing that is needed is some sort of purchase invoice or receipt, even handwritten if needed, to show there was some sort of transfer of ownership, such as an ebay/paypal invoice/receipt. Warranty still starts from the warehouse ship date, with the except of cards that were issued as part of an RMA repair/replacement, in which the warranty for those starts from the warehouse ship date of the card that was originally replaced by it.

Basically, it's the exact same policy as before. You just need some sort of proof there was a transfer of ownership now for cards shipped from the warehouse after may 24/25, 2018. It's still easier than ever to get EVGA warranty on second hand GPU's.

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
I just got off the phone with EVGA concerning 2 open tickets for some broken EVGA brand graphics cards that are still under manufacturer warranty according to the serial number, and the rep I talked to on the phone said they are "putting a stop to" warranty requests for 2nd hand purchases. What's up with that? That was a big reason why I went with EVGA for peace of mind if I got a graphics card that was broken or broke during use.
This pretty much falls in line with all the other sub-par support we've seen from eVGA recently.

@JacobF any idea who you guys hired who is messing things up over there?

Edit: Correction for @EVGA-JacobF

·
Slurpee Addict
394 Posts
thats why i bought my video card cause the warranty was transferable ...

·
in da freezing hell
314 Posts
That's freaking awful ! I'm not even sure it is legal in my country (France) ...
But then, I'd suspect there's nothing in writing from EVGA ?

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
That's freaking awful ! I'm not even sure it is legal in my country (France) ...
But then, I'd suspect there's nothing in writing from EVGA ?
Lol probably not. It probably isn't legal here either, but people typically don't put up a fight like they should. Not saying OP isn't putting up a fight, just saying in general.

·
Slurpee Addict
394 Posts
oh i'll put up a fight if it was during the original purchace I'm quite certain consumer Canada would get involved

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
One would think that products are subject to the warranty terms in place when the product was purchased and that enforcing a change you didn't agree to is against the law.

Yet their terms state: "Please Note: As EVGA strives to honor the best warranty in the business ( :lachen: ), we have and will continue to make policy changes. Make sure you read this document carefully and check back for updates. EVGA reserves the right to change this policy without notice."

Regardless, I'd definitely talk to a lawyer.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Oh welp, this might be the downfall of EVGA.....people were buying their stuff often for the warranty and support alone.

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
Oh welp, this might be the downfall of EVGA.....people were buying their stuff often for the warranty and support alone.
Yup. They're going downhill fast.

·
Slurpee Addict
394 Posts
last evga product I ever get

·
Registered
395 Posts
Do you remember which evga rep you talked to on the phone. This is the first i have heard of them no longer honoring Transferable Warranty. A few months ago, EVGA removed the Guest RMA page on it's US website. Now it looks like they disabled it on the EU website too. I wonder if the next shoe to drop will be the transferable warranty.

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
My 1080 Ti is too. For sure.
When I bought the 1080 from you I called after hearing about the end to guest RMS's. They told me that you can RMA a used card as long as you have an account. This is garbage, I'm pretty sure this was brought on by miners.

I'm not sure if this will work but do you have to register the GPU right away? If not you could just write down the purchase date and location then pass the unregistered product to the next owner so they can register it.
Other than registration how would they really know who bought it?

·
Slurpee Addict
394 Posts
I alerted JacobF about this, hopefully later today he will make a comment.

I hope so cause now I'm really worried and wishing I didn't get the evga 1070 when I could of gotten the zotec

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
When I bought the 1080 from you I called after hearing about the end to guest RMS's. They told me that you can RMA a used card as long as you have an account. This is garbage, I'm pretty sure this was brought on by miners.

I'm not sure if this will work but do you have to register the GPU right away? If not you could just write down the purchase date and location then pass the unregistered product to the next owner so they can register it.
Other than registration how would they really know who bought it?
I'm sure its all flower fields until you have to actually RMA a product. They have no reason to upset someone who isn't actually using the service yet. With everything i've seen on here recently i have strong doubts about EVGA recently.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you remember which evga rep you talked to on the phone. This is the first i have heard of them no longer honoring Transferable Warranty. A few months ago, EVGA removed the Guest RMA page on it's US website. Now it looks like they disabled it on the EU website too. I wonder if the next shoe to drop will be the transferable warranty.
Sorry, I don't have a name :( I know I got a person really late, got off the phone about 5-15 minutes prior to creating the thread, maybe evga if they see this thread can use that to track down which call it was since the robot always says "this call is recorded" 3 times during the menu selections.

·
Overclocker in training
13,932 Posts
Hi,
As far as I've been told by evga all they do is change the delivery date on 3rd party purchases
Original purchase date is no longer valid for when the warranty starts..
They go by when the retailer purchase or shipping date for when the warranty starts instead but again the gpu... condition is where they get rejection crazy looking for any little cosmetic flaw to boot it out and reject the rma.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts