Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I did some heavy duty cleaning of my PC case today. Removed all the fans, Ram, Heatsink, ETC.

Everything is now spotless, with use of canned air and tooth brush. I also re-applied thermal paste to the Processor.

Now the darn board won't post, and I'm about at wits end. I tried swapping around the RAM, even booting with just one stick.

I'm not really sure what to try other than resetting the CMOS, or swapping the Ram out.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. (trying to get it back online to fold!!!)

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
What code do you have showing on the ECP module?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the TIM to see if it was making full contact/ reapplied TIM do to TIM being old. (was very thin, and syrupy)

Now It does not want to go past the FF code. I really am stumped with this one.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump. Battery deal didn't work. I didn't wait a few days, but 24 hrs is enough time for the bios to clear.

ANyone else ever deal with this, and what the final problem WAS?

I just wish I could just try my ram and cpu in another board.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that's the first one I checked. I changed slots, even tested out my old faithful 7600gt oc.

It's really bugging the crap out of me because if it were 775 I'd have it figured out by now. SO much for bleeding edge if you cannot troubleshoot your own hardware

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by i7bigrig View Post
The classified should have a cmos reset button at the i/o panel. Try that while your mobo is powered. (not on, just powered)

Short of that, same thing happened to my evga mobo. FF code, never worked again, had to send it in for RMA

I hope that's not the case. This thing was smooth sailing since I put it together in April. I didn't even finish the WC loop on it yet (got busy, no res or tubing). ANd then I get the chance of my RAM going bad. They discontinued the model do the the chips going bad.

·
Somewhere in time
1,488 Posts
24 hours is plenty of time to wait after removing the CMOS battery. Have you tried re-seating all devices, check all power connections etc? Short of removing everything from the case and powering it on again I would start there. Always nice to have a spare CPU or such to test with, but odd your getting stuck on the function fine post code.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clox View Post
24 hours is plenty of time to wait after removing the CMOS battery. Have you tried re-seating all devices, check all power connections etc? Short of removing everything from the case and powering it on again I would start there. Always nice to have a spare CPU or such to test with, but odd your getting stuck on the function fine post code.

ok, final straw. I reapplied TIM again, changed the RAM around.. disconnected everything, reconnected.

I'm gathering my options. Do I find a board to test my stuff in? Then I'll now it's my board or not.

b. find some RAM to test out?

c. Find a processor to test out.

or d. Something not listed above (input please)

·
Somewhere in time
1,488 Posts
This is the VERY obvious but have you inspected your VGA/DVI cables to make sure it's in good shape and connected properly? Another monitor? Have you unplugged and inspected each cable? (power and peripheral)
Are all of your components in a case still and have you tried removing them from the case and powering up? Maybe your back plate or something is shorting out on the case causing this?

Have you tried:
Disconnecting all SATA/IDE devices, remove all but one stick of RAM and try to power up. If that works, add one more piece of hardware back and try power up again. Keep repeating this until one of the devices stops you from booting up.

Would be hard for me to believe that you fried a component by some regular maintenance but you never know I guess.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clox View Post
This is the VERY obvious but have you inspected your VGA/DVI cables to make sure it's in good shape and connected properly? Another monitor? Have you unplugged and inspected each cable? (power and peripheral)
Are all of your components in a case still and have you tried removing them from the case and powering up? Maybe your back plate or something is shorting out on the case causing this?

Have you tried:
Disconnecting all SATA/IDE devices, remove all but one stick of RAM and try to power up. If that works, add one more piece of hardware back and try power up again. Keep repeating this until one of the devices stops you from booting up.

Would be hard for me to believe that you fried a component by some regular maintenance but you never know I guess.
I have done all the above. I'm not even getting a beep. Everything runs, as far as appropriate sounds for HD, Vid card. Processor gets warm ; Ram stays completely cool. vid cards work in 775 e8400 rig. cable isn't the culprit, as I tested it on the other machine. Normally when the machine boots it cycles through all the codes, and then just displays temps ; now it won't go past FF.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Check the socket for bent pins. I'm sure this is what has happened. Good luck to you.

• Rep+
Reactions: gre0481

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
It should still be under warranty tbh, that board is pretty new. send it back to EVGA.

• Rep+
Reactions: gre0481
1 - 20 of 31 Posts