Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have made like 5 threads but I promise this is the last one. So here are my options.

i7 920 @ micro center for $229-5% off coupon

Option 1:
evga x58 for $299-5% off coupon at micro center
Order OCZ Gold ddr3 1600 3x2gb for $115-$20 rebate on newegg

Option 2:
P6T Deluxe+OCZ gold ddr3 1600 3x2gb for $395-$20 rebate +$10 shipping on newegg

I know both boards are good, but which is easier for OC'ing. Also I plan to either get 2 GTX 260's or 4870's in the future but probably the gtx 260's.

Also post reasons why one board is better than the other

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Asus from Newegg - More reliable board from a more reliable retailer.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
i've heard many good things about the p6t, and nothing bad about it
i've heard many good things about the evga and alot of bad things about it...
i'd to p6t.

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
ASUS P6T its a reputable company and has always provided solid options for overclockers

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would recommend the evga x58... I am very happy with it and theres the 24x7 evga support which is excellent... I am currently running at 3.7Ghz and it was easy... I just set the mem multi to 2:8 and bclk to 177 and vcore to 1.3v....Also the ELEET OC utility is super cool... I got it to 3.85 from 3.7 from windows...Temps got too high though, have to lap my true... Vreg temps reach 75C but i dont see stability issues...Here a bloke who got it to 4.5 on air: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=642527

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
I switched from the EVGA X58 to the ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution, because the EVGA board simply was not stable at stock. EVGA still has the board and hasn't returned the RMA replacement yet.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
They gave a lot of people bad boards, then.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noahmateen1234 View Post
So I have made like 5 threads but I promise this is the last one. So here are my options.

i7 920 @ micro center for $229-5% off coupon

Option 1:
evga x58 for $299-5% off coupon at micro center
Order OCZ Gold ddr3 1600 3x2gb for $115-$20 rebate on newegg

Option 2:
P6T Deluxe+OCZ gold ddr3 1600 3x2gb for $395-$20 rebate +$10 shipping on newegg

I know both boards are good, but which is easier for OC'ing. Also I plan to either get 2 GTX 260's or 4870's in the future but probably the gtx 260's.

Also post reasons why one board is better than the other
Dont want to change the subject but How can you get a 5% discount from microcenter because im planning a i7 build and would be great to have that discount also. TY

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowtoblerone
View Post

I've had so many problems with Asus boards that I cannot recommend it with a straight face. However, I7 board quality may be different.

I've had so many problems with EVGA boards that I cannot recommend it with a straight face. They even sent me a refurb X58 board back!
Something is terribly wrong with this picture.

My ASUS is rock solid.

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by error10
View Post

I've had so many problems with EVGA boards that I cannot recommend it with a straight face. They even sent me a refurb X58 board back!
Something is terribly wrong with this picture.

My ASUS is rock solid.

I second the Asus. I have not had experience with the X58 boards, but if this board is anything like the X48/P45 boards, they will be great if made by Asus. I'm not a huge fan of EVGA either.

·
Registered
787 Posts
EVGA made a revision of their x58 boards..

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Even after all the problems I have with ASUS support I cannot help but recomend this over all boards. For overclocking they really have their stuff together. This board is rock solid and keeps voltage very stable. It even automatically adjust voltages when needed even if its in the middle of a process. I dont like their support but I must say it is one quality product. I seem to be able to keep much lower voltages than most people on here with other boards like EVGA or Gigabyte. I think either way you go is a good bet. They both seem like good boards.

·
Registered
803 Posts
noah, it is a tough decision, and ultimately only you can decide, i would say just go with one of the two, i am sure you won't be dissapointed either way. the more you delay it, the more new hardware comes out
good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got the P6T deluxe at the beginning of this week.

About the 5% discount. Micro Center is testing a Rewards Program in CA, and everytime you make a purchase you get a 5% off coupon good off any single item on your next purchase(must be made on a different day). It is awesome if you play on buying a TV or expensive laptop. It saved me $11.50 on the i7, which was already $229 to start with, so I paid $236 after tax and the coupon which is really good. I plan to use that 5% off coupon for a 24" LCD or GTX 285 if they have them at a good price.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Asus P6T Deluxe. The Evga has problems with certain cpu coolers and I love my P6T Deluxe! I have my Core I7 920 overclocked to 4.02 Ghz and it's completely stable. With better cooling I can probably go even higher, water cooling setup on it's way.

I was looking at both myself, but Asus has yet to let me down, and I do not the overall layout of the Evga. It may not be an issue for some, but the Evga has limited Fan connectors. Both are nice boards but my vote goes to the Asus. The Express gate is a great feature, and it just has a lot more bang for the buck. The SAS ports may come in handy in the future, and it overclocks really well.

Edit: Funny, you posted saying you bought the P6T Deluxe while I was typing this. I doubt you made a choice you are going to regret. If you need help overclocking your CPU PM me and I will give you some ideas.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts