Overclock.net banner

Ex-Box 360

12664 Views 48 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Draelren
Hello all, here is my first build log; I've built many systems inside a wide array of cases, Define R4, H440, Air 540, PC-K62, P100, DS380, Prodigy, etc etc... but none of them were ever documented fully except for pictures on my Facebook account. Looking at hopefully drumming up some interest in this design however.

The goal is to have a full gaming PC inside of an xbox 360, eventually running SteamOS - with full functionality of the xbox 360 case and a PC all in one. IE: Front RF receiver still in place, and lights up when keyboard, mouse, and other USB peripherals are attached.

Anyway, enough of the boring stuff - let's get down to the (eventual) specs and the pictures. (Most of these parts were sourced second hand on group buy pages, local facebook groups, craigslist, etc etc; this is my 6th PC that I personally own currently, so it doesn't need to be new or fancy)

EDIT: Had a new name suggested, will be going with "Ex-Box 360" from now on.

The main goodies:
Motherboard: Asus P8H61-I R3
Processor: Intel i7-2600
PSU: HDPLEX Hi-Fi DC-ATX 250W
Graphics: MSI GTX 760 ITX
Storage: Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz
Fans: 1x Scythe Mini KAZE ULTRA 40mm, 4x Noctua NF-A6x25

The main goodies:
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+
Processor: AMD A10-7850K
Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a
Storage: 128GB mSATA
RAM: AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series - 8GB, 2133MHz
Fans: 1x Scythe Mini KAZE ULTRA 40mm, 2x Rexus DF126010PH

EDIT EDIT:
The main goodies:
Motherboard: ASRock AB350 ITX
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 2400G
Cooler: Dynatron A18
Storage: Samsung PM961 NVMe 250GB SSD
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 16GB Kit
Fans: 1x Scythe Mini KAZE ULTRA 40mm, 2x Rexus DF126010PH

Final image, and link to gallery:

https://imgur.com/a/92r3Qky

EDIT: Here is a shot of the final product.

And here is where the project started out as...

Here it is after just getting the motherboard set in and test fitting. The motherboard tray is adopted from a Lian-Li Q25.

Did a quick firing up of the processor and fan to verify everything worked (with craigslist you can never be too careful) The front panel connectors were used from my test bench PC.

Aftermath of work 1

Aftermath of work 2

Got the temporary OS up and running

The next update will hopefully have better pictures and a better explanation of what work has been done since. This is just the "oh **** I should have a build log" post.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a few more of the parts today. A test 60mm fan to make sure it fit properly (which it did), a fan hub, and my PCI riser.

6 fan hub, considering I'm planning on running 5 in the whole machine, I should be safe.

Test fitment.

Fits great. The plan is to hollow out the gray HDD enclosure for a 360, and then drill inconspicuous holes in the enclosure; and use that to mask their presence.

Expect a much bigger update soon; just waiting on more parts, and a new angle grinder to cut up a donor Lian Li PC-65 case for some parts that I need to fabricate without any fabrication tools.

The new stuff is supposed to arrive Thursday, so hopefully this weekend I will have the I/O shield installed, as well as all of the fans in place as well.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got some more tools in today, my angle grinder and some new drill bits.

Still waiting on some ABS plastic, rubber grommets, self adhesive velcro straps and dots, my low profile noctua cooler, and 2 more 60mm noctua fans.

While I was snagging that picture I decided to grab a picture of my 'works in progress' shelf. Has my LAN rig up top in the Prodigy, hookups for an xbox to test what's wrong with it, an open air mining rig, parts for builds, parts for sale, old xbox 360's leftover to repair, etc etc...

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Broke out the new angle grinder (this is my first time ever using one; I know for a fact I will need to go back over these surfaces and get them all smooth and round the edges out, I just have to get back to work; there might be another update later tonight later on.

First up is the motherboard panel out of the Lian Li PC-65, I want that I/O panel surround. I want it bad. I shall retrieve it.

I got it. It is mine. All mine! Muahahahahahaha *cough*

Next up was cutting apart the original exhaust area of the 360, and getting rid of that grill for the I/O shield. Success!

Lastly here it is. Very rough with the angle grinder, but once again - first time using one, and aside from a drill - first power tool ever in fact. I now know what Tim Taylor was talking about. ^.-

The plan when all is said and done is to fill in any gaps, and get it all as one piece - and then to powder coat the entire case a nice black, or possibly a white. I'm not sure yet what I want to do.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Came home to more goodies tonight!

My other two fans, my low profile cooler, rubber grommets, velcro dots, and on my way home I picked up a used 750 Ti from a buddy for $45. It's the same as as the 760 ITX as far as I'm aware, so it should fit nicely! *crosses fingers*

I've shown off my shelf of 'works in progress' before, but while I was taking a pic of that, I snagged a shot of my 4930K workstation while I was at it.

I also ordered the HDPLEX fanless PSU this morning, so next week I'll be testing how that mounts up in the case. Hopefully tomorrow will be a productive day of work on this... assuming my son, wife, and housely duties don't get in the way.
smile.gif

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update, I couldn't help but open up the cooler and get it mounted! It just looked so good!!

I got it mounted, and then put it in the case, and figure out what modifications I now need to make to get the GPU stuffed in there also. Those will be done tomorrow hopefully, and I'll possibly even get a test boot with the top of the 360 on even.

This is also due to arrive tomorrow, so I can also get the top hardware mounted as well. Wish me luck for tomorrow, it's the big 'make it or break it' ...literally and figuratively... day for my project.

Thanks goes to all of those who have followed it so far, and a big shout out to HDPLEX as well for their amazing customer service so far!

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, I was a little off in my math earlier and seeing if it would indeed fit past the CPU cooler; it does not work. I have 3 options I can now do as such.

1) Keep the GPU partially exposed externally (maybe with a shroud and fan grill of some sorts)
2) Rely on built in Intel HD Graphics. (ew)
3) Or sell the current setup and buy an FM2 A10 APU, and run that internally.

I'm curious as to what people think I should do at this point, I am actually thinking about selling the setup and buying an A10 APU.

Anyway, onto today's modifications and pictures.

The first thing I did was to cut off part of the motherboard tray, and mount it farther back to try to assist in the fitting of the GPU.

SSD mounting location.

PSU eventual location.

Initial cut-out of the GPU section.

Back:

Front:

The more I look at this, the more I think I should just buy an A10-7850K, some 2400MHz RAM, and a good motherboard, put it in, and just make sure I have some damn good cooling. Yes, that's what I'm doing. This setup is now going on craigslist, and I will be purchasing the A10 next week hopefully.

· Registered
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draelren View Post

So, I was a little off in my math earlier and seeing if it would indeed fit past the CPU cooler; it does not work. I have 3 options I can now do as such.

1) Keep the GPU partially exposed externally (maybe with a shroud and fan grill of some sorts)
2) Rely on built in Intel HD Graphics. (ew)
3) Or sell the current setup and buy an FM2 A10 APU, and run that internally.

I'm curious as to what people think I should do at this point, I am actually thinking about selling the setup and buying an A10 APU.

Anyway, onto today's modifications and pictures.

The first thing I did was to cut off part of the motherboard tray, and mount it farther back to try to assist in the fitting of the GPU.

SSD mounting location.

PSU eventual location.

Initial cut-out of the GPU section.

Back:

Front:

The more I look at this, the more I think I should just buy an A10-7850K, some 2400MHz RAM, and a good motherboard, put it in, and just make sure I have some damn good cooling. Yes, that's what I'm doing. This setup is now going on craigslist, and I will be purchasing the A10 next week hopefully.
could you move the gpu to the PSU area which a 90deg riser card so it faces downwards then look at an external brick for a PSU - say a pcipsu/laptop brick setup? would keep it a lot neater - just food for thoughts.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, there is still not enough room in the area, I had looked at that.

And I'm already using a pico-PSU style power supply and laptop power brick. I looked at many different ways to configure it yesterday since I finally had most of the parts.

The only way I'm going to be able to pull it off with it still looking like an original 360 is to go the A10-7850K route.

· Registered
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draelren View Post

No, there is still not enough room in the area, I had looked at that.

And I'm already using a pico-PSU style power supply and laptop power brick. I looked at many different ways to configure it yesterday since I finally had most of the parts.

The only way I'm going to be able to pull it off with it still looking like an original 360 is to go the A10-7850K route.
Maybe that is the way to go, I don't think it will look all that great if you have fans and videocard external as it is now.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I got a few more of my components in now, just waiting to sell some of the old parts off so I can afford to buy the new setup. I received the power supply from HDPLEX, and dear god is it sexy. I didn't realize it came with a backplate on it either, and I'm loving the build quality. I'm really looking forward to seeing what it can do in my build!

The cables are a little bit long for my purposes so I feel like I'm going to need to do some modding there also, as well as sleeve them.

The Samsung 128gb mSATA drive arrived as well, and it's looking superb also. I ordered a USB dongle for my wifi, and will just be plugging it into the onboard half size mini PCI express slot instead of the onboard wifi card. Pics below!

EDIT: For anyone who is interested in more information about the power supply, here it is. I'm thoroughly impressed and when I finish with this build I will be doing a review on my website for it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.