Overclock.net banner

Ex-Box 360

12662 48
Hello all, here is my first build log; I've built many systems inside a wide array of cases, Define R4, H440, Air 540, PC-K62, P100, DS380, Prodigy, etc etc... but none of them were ever documented fully except for pictures on my Facebook account. Looking at hopefully drumming up some interest in this design however.

The goal is to have a full gaming PC inside of an xbox 360, eventually running SteamOS - with full functionality of the xbox 360 case and a PC all in one. IE: Front RF receiver still in place, and lights up when keyboard, mouse, and other USB peripherals are attached.

Anyway, enough of the boring stuff - let's get down to the (eventual) specs and the pictures. (Most of these parts were sourced second hand on group buy pages, local facebook groups, craigslist, etc etc; this is my 6th PC that I personally own currently, so it doesn't need to be new or fancy)

EDIT: Had a new name suggested, will be going with "Ex-Box 360" from now on.

The main goodies:
Motherboard: Asus P8H61-I R3
Processor: Intel i7-2600
PSU: HDPLEX Hi-Fi DC-ATX 250W
Graphics: MSI GTX 760 ITX
Storage: Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz
Fans: 1x Scythe Mini KAZE ULTRA 40mm, 4x Noctua NF-A6x25

The main goodies:
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+
Processor: AMD A10-7850K
Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a
Storage: 128GB mSATA
RAM: AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series - 8GB, 2133MHz
Fans: 1x Scythe Mini KAZE ULTRA 40mm, 2x Rexus DF126010PH

EDIT EDIT:
The main goodies:
Motherboard: ASRock AB350 ITX
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 2400G
Cooler: Dynatron A18
Storage: Samsung PM961 NVMe 250GB SSD
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 16GB Kit
Fans: 1x Scythe Mini KAZE ULTRA 40mm, 2x Rexus DF126010PH

Final image, and link to gallery:

https://imgur.com/a/92r3Qky

EDIT: Here is a shot of the final product.

And here is where the project started out as...

Here it is after just getting the motherboard set in and test fitting. The motherboard tray is adopted from a Lian-Li Q25.

Did a quick firing up of the processor and fan to verify everything worked (with craigslist you can never be too careful) The front panel connectors were used from my test bench PC.

Aftermath of work 1

Aftermath of work 2

Got the temporary OS up and running

The next update will hopefully have better pictures and a better explanation of what work has been done since. This is just the "oh **** I should have a build log" post.
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
I really like that PSU it looks like a modular version of a pico, and 250w to boot! That would be perfect for my build. I'm building in an original Xbox but a htpc/media server so I need room for multiple HDDs. Can you use that with an xbox360 power brick? Cause at $89.99 that's $40 over what I had planned to spend, so it would be nice not to have to buy a new laptop power brick also.

· Registered
115 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frezorx View Post

no update?
Just was getting back on to post an update. All parts that I'm expecting to use are ordered. The CPU cooler and a few other things are arriving today and tomorrow, the laptop power brick, RAM, and motherboard will be arriving Tuesday. I swapped a friend (Al from Modders-Inc, thanks again man) a processor I had lying around, for an A10 he had lying around; so whenever that gets here I'll be finishing up the build.

I will be getting a test setup done in a temporary xbox case, one that eventually will be replaced - but will be running benchmarks in it, seeing what temps I get, where I need to direct my airflow more, etc etc... then will be moving it into it's final case, where I will then have some custom brackets fabbed up, and a better IO panel made. Then the metal casing will be powder coated, and set up for the final build version.

Not this weekend, but next should show quite a bit of headway on the project.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Got the last of the parts in finally.

First thing was to ditch the onboard wifi card, and plug in the 128gb mSATA drive.

The rest of this build process went by rather quickly and easily.

One thing that didn't work with the L9a was the backplate that they included. I had to ditch it, and use 8 washers in it's place. This took some work to figure out the optimum configuration, was quite the headache.

The rest of today's progress is mostly just confirming things fit where they should, and everything runs.

Bet you wish your exhaust fan was this sexy.

It runs! ...for now!

I didn't want to have any brackets fabricated up, or design any custom pcb or do any work on any custom boards until I verified this was a viable project. Now that I've confirmed what I thought, I will be moving onto completing the next few stages of this project.

Now that stage 1 is done, stage 2 is to move to a brand new interior metal casing, drill and cut all appropriate holes, and then get all brackets fabricated up for the front USB ports, and the power jack.

Stage 3 then will be to get the power button to work with the power button in the front of the console, get the LED to light up when turned on, and when keyboard and mouse are plugged in.

Stage 4 will be to hallow out the HDD cage, and complete the rest of the exterior aspects of the case, to ensure a 'sleeper' look of the console, with 0 visible evidence on the outside that it is a computer, aside from the IO panel.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
This has actually been done since last night - but I didn't have a chance to get it updated until now. The temps are disconcerting, so I need to invest some time into resolving that before I do any huge shake down runs, or any more benchmarks. Below are pics of it all together, in it's current state - and it even playing StarCraft II.

Still left to do:
- Wire the power and reset switches into the xbox faceplate itself - eject will be reset, power will be power
- Get slim fans to replace the noctuas - they won't allow the HDD cage to be put into place
- Cut very small holes in the HDD cage for air to get into the case
- Remove some of the metal casing to allow more airflow, to hopefully resolve some of the temperature issues
- Plug holes in the casing so that the airflow will go where I want it, rather than leaking out.
- Get the front LED to turn on when the computer boots up.

Now the pics!

· Registered
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFreilicht View Post

A bit unfortunate that you had to ditch the R9, though. Is the A10 really good enough to qualify this build as a "full gaming PC"?
I'm curious to find out his FPS while playing something like bf4 or tomb raider maxed out.
I'm looking to do an almost identical build

· Registered
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofNoob View Post

I'm curious to find out his FPS while playing something like bf4 or tomb raider maxed out.
I'm looking to do an almost identical build
That would be interesting, but I think at FullHD, you're not going to get 30FPS. It's just too tiny for that.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
My apologies for taking so long to get back to posting here, life has been utter chaos for me at points. Below are photos of the finished product aside from the green power LED working, and the power/reset switches wired in. These are still issues I'm going to work out, but until I'm moved into my new office/shop - I will not have the ability to work on the project. Take it in all it's current glory!

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofNoob View Post

60fps on starcraft 2? Did you play anything better Graphically?
Did not, that's most likely the only game this system will ever see, I don't play anything else really. lol I might try out some other games if people are curious.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I've done a lot more work to the internal layout over the past few weeks, and I managed to get it into the LAN here in Portland, PDXLAN.

Currently been gaming on it for a few days - hit 72c once, but other than that it's been mostly great.

I just bought a new motherboard for it, going with a Ryzen 5 2400G chip, and ditching the current Intel G4560 that is in there.

Uploading a photo of it working here at the LAN, and then also a pic of the current internal layout. The version 4.0 changes that I have coming in the next few months should make it look a lot more like a finished product, as well as perform great for 1080p gaming.

Current Specs:
Intel G4560
Gigabyte H110N ITX Motherboard
16GB Memory

No other major changes since the last update on components.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.