Overclock.net banner

Ex-Box 360

12663 48
Hello all, here is my first build log; I've built many systems inside a wide array of cases, Define R4, H440, Air 540, PC-K62, P100, DS380, Prodigy, etc etc... but none of them were ever documented fully except for pictures on my Facebook account. Looking at hopefully drumming up some interest in this design however.

The goal is to have a full gaming PC inside of an xbox 360, eventually running SteamOS - with full functionality of the xbox 360 case and a PC all in one. IE: Front RF receiver still in place, and lights up when keyboard, mouse, and other USB peripherals are attached.

Anyway, enough of the boring stuff - let's get down to the (eventual) specs and the pictures. (Most of these parts were sourced second hand on group buy pages, local facebook groups, craigslist, etc etc; this is my 6th PC that I personally own currently, so it doesn't need to be new or fancy)

EDIT: Had a new name suggested, will be going with "Ex-Box 360" from now on.

The main goodies:
Motherboard: Asus P8H61-I R3
Processor: Intel i7-2600
PSU: HDPLEX Hi-Fi DC-ATX 250W
Graphics: MSI GTX 760 ITX
Storage: Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz
Fans: 1x Scythe Mini KAZE ULTRA 40mm, 4x Noctua NF-A6x25

The main goodies:
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+
Processor: AMD A10-7850K
Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a
Storage: 128GB mSATA
RAM: AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series - 8GB, 2133MHz
Fans: 1x Scythe Mini KAZE ULTRA 40mm, 2x Rexus DF126010PH

EDIT EDIT:
The main goodies:
Motherboard: ASRock AB350 ITX
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 2400G
Cooler: Dynatron A18
Storage: Samsung PM961 NVMe 250GB SSD
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 16GB Kit
Fans: 1x Scythe Mini KAZE ULTRA 40mm, 2x Rexus DF126010PH

Final image, and link to gallery:

https://imgur.com/a/92r3Qky

EDIT: Here is a shot of the final product.

And here is where the project started out as...

Here it is after just getting the motherboard set in and test fitting. The motherboard tray is adopted from a Lian-Li Q25.

Did a quick firing up of the processor and fan to verify everything worked (with craigslist you can never be too careful) The front panel connectors were used from my test bench PC.

Aftermath of work 1

Aftermath of work 2

Got the temporary OS up and running

The next update will hopefully have better pictures and a better explanation of what work has been done since. This is just the "oh **** I should have a build log" post.
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

· H₂O Aficionado
6,007 Posts
Mountain Dew and Goldfish. Now this guy knows how to LAN properly :D

OT: Glad to see this rig still in service! I subbed to this thread nearly 4 years ago... Definitely a nice surprise to see it still alive.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
For some reason it's not letting my upload files right now, keeps telling me there's a security token issue. Uploaded to Imgur.

So I just replaced the hardware for hopefully the last time for a while.

Running an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, ASRock AB350 ITX Gaming motherboard, and soon to be 16GB of Corsair LPX memory. Currently is running off the other half of my main desktop's memory.

The CPU cooler I got is a Dynatron A18, because it's total height is 28mm - which is even lower profile than the Silverstone I had on the G4560.

The CPU block was originally not contacting the processor at all, and I had to figure out what was going on.

Turns out that the motherboards VRM was blocking the block. (pun not intended)

Little did it know, I would not take that as an option.

Originally I had tried to file it down, but quickly decided that was not the answer.

Here is the system currently running, once I get the LPX memory in there it should have much greater performance than the Intel version.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Here she is at PDXLAN last month. :) Was even interviewed by AMD for the build. Hope to see some more info on it soon. They did a shoutout on FB and Twitter about it also.

Ex-Box One S is now under production...

Attachments

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Hello all! I knew how bad the internal cable management on this project was, and it was bugging me so bad! So I went back to the drawing board on a few things and ideas, and got to prototyping some more... so... updates!

Here is the changes made (so far) today:
  • Stripped out the MOLEX fan hub, fan extensions, Bitfenix RGB lighting strip and control box, SATA, and MOLEX power connectors
  • Noticed CPU cooler was aimed the wrong way, swapped it to the correct orientation
  • Rerouted external fan cables to new locations
  • Cable managed the remaining cables and tucked them away neatly
  • Replaced the RGB strip with a new one from phanteks that plugs directly into motherboard. Was able to fit in between motherboard tray and chassis, keeping it tucked away and out of sight
  • Drilled a hole for the power button and decided on how that was going to work; started 3d printing a prototype bracket

Onto photos!

Below is how she currently sat as of September 14th, 2020; and how she has been since around 2018.

Tore the system down to it's base components, and got around to planning new ways to cable manage and clean up the interior.

Also realized this whole time there is an arrow directing air flow on the top of the cooler, and I was working against my intake fans. So I swapped the fan direction, hopefully that will help keep temps lower than they were before.

After changing out what cables I was using for fan extensions, removing the fan hub, the LED strip with control box (it will still have LED's, but I have a better strip for it now with no control box)... here she is back installed in the chassis.

Here is all of the junk I ripped out of her that will no longer be needed. (I realized later I actually forgot a few other cables in this pile, but oh well)

Drilled a hole to make sure the power buttons could line up, spoiler alert - it does!

Below is the design for my bracket to hold the power button in place so the xbox power button will turn on the actual PC. Prototype is currently printing in PLA as I write this.

Attachments

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Finished the build a few months ago, and ended up selling it.

Moved onto the next project, which is doing the same thing, but watercooled, and inside of an xbox one s.

Final pics and information below before I sold it. Got the power button working, and wired in USB 3.0 front ports that fully worked.

Was rocking a 4750G, 16GB of DDR4, and a 1TB NVMe SSD.

· H₂O Aficionado
6,007 Posts
The front IO with the white LEDs looks great. Glad to see you see the thread updated and closed :) Time to follow the next build...

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
The front IO with the white LEDs looks great. Glad to see you see the thread updated and closed :) Time to follow the next build...
Will be posting a rather large update soon in the new thread.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.