Overclock.net banner

Ex-Box One S

20124 Views 50 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Draelren
UPDATE! I'm done with the build. I'd love to thank Heath over at Tek by Design for his work on some of the cables, as well as Michael over at MB Custom Sleeving. They're both excellent guys, and both do great work! With the cable credits out of the way, let's check out the rest of the system!

I have a build.gg page with more info as well: Ex-Box One S

So the final specs came out to be:
CaseXbox One S
CasePrototype Printing
ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 4700G
MotherboardASRock Phantom Gaming X570 ITX/TB3
MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 16GB 4800MHz
StorageWD Black SN750 1TB
Power SupplyHDPLEX 400W DC-ATX PSU
Power BrickDell 330W AC Charger
MonoblockBitspower ASRock X570 ITX/TB3 Monoblock
FittingsBitspower G1/4" to 3/8" Barb Fitting, 90° Rotary
FittingsBitspower G1/4" Extender Fitting 15mm
FittingsBitspower G1/4" to 3/8" Barb Fitting, 2 Pack
TubingEKWB EK-DuraClear Soft Tubing, 10/13mm (3/8" ID, 1/2" OD), 3 Meter, Clear
PumpAlphacool DC-LT 2600 Ceramic 12V Pump
ReservoirAlphacool Eisstation 40 DC-LT
RadiatorAlphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 50mm Dual Radiator
FluidEKWB CryoFuel Mystic Fog Premix
FansGELID Solutions Silent5 FN-SX05-40 50mm
CablesMB Custom Sleeving - 8 Pin EPS

And alas, photos!

START OF BUILD LOG
So it's been a few years since I started my Ex-Box 360 build, and I think I'm done with it. I updated that thread last week with it completed at PDXLAN last month. The build was even featured by AMD and they interviewed me. Got me itching to step my game up.

A few friends of mine had been pushing me to do something in an Xbox One; which I took a look at, and once again realized it would be too easy. I could fit normal components in it and just boot it. Enter in my new project: a One S, fully watercooled with a custom loop.

I didn't want to post things too early, since I already did that on my personal FB and had a few other people jump on the train and build their own.

As parts are purchased I will come back and add them here.

Ordered:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2400G
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X470-I Gaming
Motherboard Tray: CaseLabs Mercury S3 or Lian-Li PC-Q25 (unsure of yet)
CPU Waterblock: XSPC RayStorm Pro RGB WaterBlock White
CPU Waterblock: Swiftech Apogee SKF
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz
SSD: Samsung PM961 250GB NVMe
Radiator: Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 50mm Triple
Radiator fans: 3x GELID Silent5 FN-SX05-40
Rigid fittings: Primochill RevolverSX - Sky White
Rigid fittings: Nanoxia CF Hard Tube G1/4" to 12mm
PSU: HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX Power Supply
Sleeving: Teleios (Acid Green & Polar White), done by 'Tek by Design'

The cables and screws will be custom done for the build by a local modder, Tek by Design.

But here is the start of the project!

The day the shell arrived:

The system was already stripped out, I had just bought the shell off of ebay - so I got straight down to removing the plastic I didn't need that would just take up system space.

I planned out how I wanted to do the build more this time, and came up with the idea for a custom scratch built frame to hold all of the components. One I could just slip in the shell and drop in place, once I knew it was the right size.

I went to Lowes and picked up some short pieces of metal (couldn't get any longer than 3', wouldn't fit in my Lexus or my fiance's Miata otherwise)

Below is what it looks like when I test fit first inside of the console.

Took the metal out, gave it some marks...

Cut each piece down to slot into the other one.

Just this morning finished the other side.

And finally test fit back into the console.

• Rep+
Reactions: damniel
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Done with progress for the day.

First thing when I got in the office this morning was test fit the radiator. It will be SNUGGGGGG. I may have to file and sand down a few pieces to get it to fit in the final version.

Next was to measure the distance from the bottom of the frame I'm building, to the top of the radiator - to figure out how tall to make the corner pieces. Got that measured and cut 5, so I had an extra one in case I messed up somewhere.

Next I marked the holes where the radiator would be mounted, and got those drilled, and tapped.

Last bit of progress for the day was to use some metal epoxy to get the frame to hold together on the bottom. The excess will be sanded off after the weekend, and more applied to the back side - but it's stuck like this for the 24 hour cure period.

After the second layer of epoxy is added, it will be time to finish mounting the radiator, and to start building the side corners and then thinking about the top 4 pieces (which will be flat).

· Filthy Casual
4,975 Posts
Interested in seeing where this is going.

· H₂O Aficionado
6,009 Posts
Subbed to the original thread, will sub once again :)

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Subbed to the original thread, will sub once again :)
Did you take a look at the pic I just put up not that long ago of the 360 one? Using a Ryzen 2400G now and it is an awesome little sleeper/gamer system for my office.

Thanks for your continued support and subscription!

· H₂O Aficionado
6,009 Posts
Did you take a look at the pic I just put up not that long ago of the 360 one? Using a Ryzen 2400G now and it is an awesome little sleeper/gamer system for my office.

Thanks for your continued support and subscription!
Saw the notification but haven't had the time to read or view the new pictures this week.

No problem! I love case modding, especially consoles. Glad that you're coming back with this new thread :)

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Monday when I got into the office I worked on setting the frame up on some spacers and got the exterior of the frame epoxy'd.

Last night got some more pieces in for the build also, except the CPU I had to drive down to Fry's to get it quickly.

Got the system test booted, and then proceeded to get the block assembled, lighting installed, and fittings attached.

Next was looking at the motherboard tray (only have the Lian-Li one currently, caselabs one won't be in for a bit) - cut the lian li down to size that it needed to be, and figured out how I was going to attach it (if I go that route)

The next issue is that the fans that will be used for the radiator are only 15mm long, rather than the standard 25mm. Had to cut the 12 screws down to the appropriate sizing.

Just to get an idea of what it will look like:

Next thing that got done was I test fit the radiator with the side posts installed, and then got them positioned, they are now curing for the next 24 hours.

· Registered
9,233 Posts
Very interesting!

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the rest of the frame taken care of yesterday.

Today was planning more of the interior components. Got the motherboard tray sorted out more. Added a center brace down the middle.

More planned out. The issue now is figuring out fill/drain port, and the pump. I believe I've found a pump that fits, but it's a bit spendy to buy, after already purchasing the power supply today.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since the frame was solidified last week, this morning I drilled the last holes needed, and then got onto painting the frame.

From there I test mounted the radiator, fans, and fittings once more. Fit snugly.

While I was test fitting, I had also sprayed the motherboard tray with the paint/primer also. Here we go with the progress as I had to leave it this afternoon.

· Newb to Overclock.net
5,172 Posts
Looking good so far. Best of luck!

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had a long weekend and had to deal with a death in the family - but now back finally with some updates!

Got the motherboard test mounted again, and worked on balancing the components to make sure it will be steady upon completion.

The power supply, power brick, and sleeving / wires showed up today, so I got a chance to break out the stock cables before the custom ones get made - and do a test of the hardware.

The entire build will be using less than 100w or so estimated on full load, so I went with some 18 AWG wire to help with the cramped space, and then some Teleios sleeving in 'Polar White' and 'Acid Green'.

Test fitting PSU.

· Premium Member
18,162 Posts
This gets better with every post. Will you be putting a GPU in this? I looked through the posts again and didn't see anything with you clarifying or mentioning that.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.