Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Powered through a thunderbolt port, and runs through it for data? They also claim that it out performs a desktop 1050... it seems a little too good to be true.

·
Registered
714 Posts
This has been posted on a few local websites where I reside in Mexico, it looks like a scam from pretty much every point, but I would like to hear your thoughts.

Its a portable gpu ( gtx 1050 ) that seems to be powered by a single thunderbolt, its on kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/exklim/turn-your-laptop-into-a-gaming-rig-meet-the-ex-cor
What makes you think it's a scam? The concept is sound. USB C supports like 2 lanes of PCIE, which is enough to run a 1050 without too much bandwidth limitions (I think). And USB C supports 60 and 100W modes, so more than enough power. There have been multiple products like this but they were all AIB cards only. MXM platform would be pretty cool. I'd get one, but not through crowd funding, reguardless of how cheap it is.

Powered through a thunderbolt port, and runs through it for data?
You should read the USB C spec. Some pretty cool stuff it can do 🙂

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What makes you think it's a scam? The concept is sound. USB C supports like 2 lanes of PCIE, which is enough to run a 1050 without too much bandwidth limitions (I think). And USB C supports 60 and 100W modes, so more than enough power. There have been multiple products like this but they were all AIB cards only. MXM platform would be pretty cool. I'd get one, but not through crowd funding, reguardless of how cheap it is.

You should read the USB C spec. Some pretty cool stuff it can do 🙂
Well, there are a lot of red flags, he mentions that he needs funds (kick starter) to start production, and if its not reached he simply will not give out any samples to youtubers, an investor offered to join and he refused stating that investors were no longer needed.

His patent ( supposedly Canadian ) is non existent.
His supposed building where he has the hardware is not his but is from the person who designed the outer shell of the ex core.
He states that he and his engineering team have been working on this project for over 5 years, when did the 1050 come out?

Yea, sounds too good to be true!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well, there are a lot of red flags, he mentions that he needs funds (kick starter) to start production, and if its not reached he simply will not give out any samples to youtubers, an investor offered to join and he refused stating that investors were no longer needed.

His patent ( supposedly Canadian ) is non existent.
His supposed building where he has the hardware is not his but is from the person who designed the outer shell of the ex core.
He states that he and his engineering team have been working on this project for over 5 years, when did the 1050 come out?

Yea, sounds too good to be true!
Ok, given that info, yes, sounds like a scam. The manufacturing part specifically. I was just looking at the techincal info. It's a cool idea and the size is way better than those egpu boxes. But I guess MXM cards are prohibitively expensive...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts