Overclock.net banner

[EXP] 18 CPU Coolers Roundup: Mega Shadow Takes the Crown

4468 Views 45 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  LarsMarkelson

Quote:

We launched a poll about the new king of air cooler earlier this month, and 22% of voters believe it would be Noctua NH-U12P SE2. But, things are differnt according to our test. As we said, this roundup is going to compare up to eighteen mid-segment and high-end coolers, covering the most renowned coolers just like Thermalright Ultra 120, and some creative products from new brand like Prolimatech. We sincerely hope this article could give our reader some tips on hardware purchase, and you know that - any suggestions, discussion or even criticism from you are always welcome.

SOURCE
See less See more
  • Rep+
Reactions: 2
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
I'm surprised the TRUE won 1366 at 800RPM given the fin density and all.
i'd like to see a roundup where each cooler was lapped and had the same fans on them.

pipedream i know but i think that would level the playing field in terms of experimental error
What... how is there a performance difference between the Megahalems and Mega Shadow...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marin View Post
What... how is there a performance difference between the Megahalems and Mega Shadow...
They maybe didn't bother reseat the cooler even though they knew they had to much TIM on the Megahalem.
See less See more
Black obviously makes things like 10x cooler.

I'd almost chock it up to margin of error, but maybe there is some benefit to be had from the plating on the mega shadow?
Anyone know whether the mega shadow comes with a slightly revised mounting mechanism?
Shouldn't the title be "Mega Shadow and TRUE rev C take the crown" considering their performance is identical on 1366?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robilar View Post
Shouldn't the title be "Mega Shadow and TRUE rev C take the crown" considering their performance is identical on 1366?
This.
The veteran and the rookie have done it again!
See less See more
I am very concerned with the stated results here, that is some very interesting math they're using. The numbers they are using to determine the best cooler isn't an actual measured number. I say it is a good review but the numbers are definitely fuzzy.
its a good review but i still say the margin of error is still a bit too big ro rely heavily on this info. Ie Tim application and mounting methods... just my
See less See more
I think top 5 are indicative of good coolers, but their ranking could be due to a number of fluctuations in testing because they're so close.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marin
View Post

there shouldn't be, as - theyre the same cooler..just one's the black edition..and the other isn't plated black..
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by SyncMaster753
View Post

i'd like to see a roundup where each cooler was lapped and had the same fans on them.

pipedream i know but i think that would level the playing field in terms of experimental error

lapping would actually cause more experimental error, unless you found a fool proof way to get the same flatness on each base while removing the same amount each time.
See less See more
How about them saying which fans they have.
Or how about testing in a 38 and a 25 millimeter category.
Looks like the Cogage True is still alive and kicking. Perfect cooler for my cousin.
i'm quite disappointed by the showing of the Noctua - it seems very overpriced.

maybe with faster fans...
There are no minor changes Noctua can do to the NH-U12P design that will make it a good LGA-1366 cooler.

It doesn't have enough heatpipes and it doesn't have enough surface area. A faster fan won't improve temps as much on this cooler as on many of the others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Black does radiate heat better.

Could be the color, could be margin of error, could be both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumped View Post
lapping would actually cause more experimental error, unless you found a fool proof way to get the same flatness on each base while removing the same amount each time.
Manual lapping produces a more consistent base finish than what many heatsinks will have out of the box.

Thermalright, for example, doesn't just have poor out-of-the box bases, they have inconsistent bases. Buy two TRUEs and the bases will probably both be wavy, but in different, random, ways.
See less See more
in looking at the close ups of the base the Mega Shadow seemed much smoother then the Halems.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.