Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
As we reported late 2009, Intel’s Larrabee project had been infinitely delayed, but it seems that the chip giant has never stop making efforts to enter into discrete graphics market.

Someone close to the project has recently told TechEye site that “there is a whole product plan and roadmap still in placeâ€.

Source:
http://en.expreview.com/2010/03/17/l...html#more-6876

·
In a van...DOWNBYTHERIVER
3,590 Posts
Not surprised, with all of those resources poured into it, it simply wouldn't make sense to drop it all together.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
I'm interested to see what intel brings to the dedicated GPU market, however, they better hire a dedicated driver team who will be up to the task of constant updates.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madman340 View Post
Not surprised, with all of those resources poured into it, it simply wouldn't make sense to drop it all together.
It didn't make sense to drop Duke Nukem Forever with all of the resources put into it, but it happened anyway.

However, all of Intel's resources are not going into it, so my analogy is a bit flawed. This is just another project by them, and if it does fail, they still have countless other fields.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Champian View Post
In my perfect world there would be 3 companies that each have there own line of GPU's and CPU's.

VIA's GPU's and CPU's

AMD (You know this already)

Intel (You know this already)

The world is already perfect, at least according to you.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Commancer View Post
VIA's GPU's and CPU's

AMD (You know this already)

Intel (You know this already)

The world is already perfect, at least according to you.
Sorry, I guess I should be more specific. 3 Companies that make MAINSTREAM Discrete GPU's and CPU's. Please show me a VIA or Intel discrete graphics card.

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts
And intel will likely disappoint... again. I expect quite a few more larrabee failures before intel can strong arm their way into the market. Definitely not the last though, perhaps with a much more dedicated and intelligent design project larrabee won't become a term assocaited with failure. From my understanding of their previous attempts at it they seemed to not take the project seriously enough to dedicate talented engineers and leadership, a mistake they are likely not to make again.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madman340 View Post

No sense in throwing good money after bad, though.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Well if it would bring competition to the field, ti would be great!

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
The only place larrabee is going to end up is as part of a cpu/gpu combo product.

HAHAHAHAHA, I just actually read what they wrote.

", if Larrabee had emerged on time, it would have changed the whole industry. " Haha, BS

"Intel may release Larrabee when it wants to, not when the market might need it" Haha, BS

Everyone knew that Larrabee was projected to severely under-perform compared to 5000 series and Fermi, Intel was even LATER than Nvidia was with Fermi, and in the end they realized it was a non-starter.

They've kept the IP in development b/c the whole reason they started on Larrabee is because they know the cpu and gpu are coming together. We're getting way to big a transistor budget for that not to happen.

So funny how they spin in the article.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts