Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Quote:

If you’ve been paying enough attention to the Radeon HD 5770 graphics card which was released in October, you’d probably have noticed some tweaks on the heatsink. Pictured below, the first version is a closed turbo cooler, while the new version looks like a third-party cooler.

SOURCE

Interesting results.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
and thats why you learn what your doing before you make your own aftermarket cooler and put it on your cards.

·
Super Moderator
19,301 Posts
Looks like the new version cools better than I thought. Too bad that heat stays in the case...

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
I'm sure the new cooler is fine as long as you keep good airflow in your case. The lesson here is that old single-fan Dells may suffer a bit with the new cooler.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
The fan blades look deeper on the ATI fan, but there's no real frame of reference.

·
Iconoclast
30,667 Posts
Results are not surprising.

Despite the initial bashing, I though it was pretty clear that the new cooler would probably be better at a given noise level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spart View Post
Looks almost EXACTLY like my Zalman VF900 on my x1900 in my sig. Only difference is the FPI looks denser on the ATI.
I disagree. The similarities are superficial.

The ATI cooler has a deeper fan, much larger heatpipes, and aluminum fins with more surface area.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Results are not surprising.

Despite the initial bashing, I though it was pretty clear that the new cooler would probably be better at a given noise level.

I disagree. The similarities are superficial.

The ATI cooler has a deeper fan, much larger heatpipes, and aluminum fins with more surface area.
He said looks, and visually they do look the same.

Not bashing you, just think there's no need to be a dick, there is a huge similarity in looks until you start looking in detail.

·
Banned
4,340 Posts
I'd go with the first 1st gen.

I can keep the stock RAM sink cooler and use aftermarket cooling for the GPU.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpTicaL
View Post

And keep the shroud so you can turn it into an awesome RC car.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
I like the second version minus the plastic bit.

Just get some RAMsinks and you are good to go.

The boxcooler is fine and all. But it'd be less noise with the second version. And obviously the RAM doesn't need heatsinks really.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpTicaL
View Post

so would i.

the second one doesn't exhaust heat: if you're going to have a dual slot cooler, may as well let it exhaust heat from the case. not to mention it is fugly.

·
!
17,294 Posts
lol who cares about the minute amount of heat this thing sends back into the case?

The 8800GT, HD4850, and GTX295 single PCB all send heat back into the case. Moreso than this thing.

Most aftermarket coolers send heat back into the case too.
Scythe Musashi, Thermalright T-Rad2, Thermalright HR-03 series, Arctic Cooling Accelero series, All of Zalman's aftermarket coolers...etc

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd
View Post

lol who cares about the minute amount of heat this thing sends back into the case?

The 8800GT, HD4850, and GTX295 single PCB all send heat back into the case. Moreso than this thing.

Most aftermarket coolers send heat back into the case too.
Scythe Musashi, Thermalright T-Rad2, Thermalright HR-03 series, Arctic Cooling Accelero series, All of Zalman's aftermarket coolers...etc

Agreed, the amount of heat sent back to the case was so minuscule, 1C change at most. The only thing I wish for are ramsinks for overclocking. Add those, and you are set.

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATFISH
View Post

Agreed, the amount of heat sent back to the case was so minuscule, 1C change at most. The only thing I wish for are ramsinks for overclocking. Add those, and you are set.

I care. I have a very cheap $20 case with minium airflow and slow fans @ 1200rpm for quiet computing. When i had ac turbo/stock single 4850, it raised the mobo temp by 10ish degrees. I'm very happy with the dual slot GTS 250 that is able to push the hot air out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.