Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I've just got my loop together and am trying to test things and work out the kinks. Right now, I'm using a Swiftech H220, expanded with an Alphacool XT45 single 120mm rad, and an EK waterblock for my 780. All in a Silverstone PS07 mATX case. Now, when i first put the loop together, I was only thinking about short tubing runs, but realized I had the cpu running to gpu, then hitting the rear 120mm rad, followed by the front 240. This was causing a big heat divide between radiators. I replumbed some things so now its cpu->120->gpu->240->cpu. Now, It took me HOURS to get it bled right the second time. About an hour the first time for reference. I'm using no external res, just the one built in to the original swiftech 240. I know thats not helpling my situation, nor is the small pump. However, I was externally connecting a res to the fillport of the 240 to make it easier to fill and hopefully bleed.

None the less, I'm thinking the biggest issue is the lack of flow. I have an MC Res Micro I can wedge into the loop, but I'm not sure that the lack of a standalone res is the issue. As it is, the radiator "res" IS the highest point in the setup. And directly feeds the pump out of the rad. SO, I was curious what you guys thought the best move would be. I could try adding the res. I also thought about trying to add a small Pump, like an EK 4.0 or 2.2 in series with the stock pump to try to up the flow through the setup. But I wasn't sure if that was advisable since they have different flow rates and capabilities. Sorry for the novel here, just looking for ideas. Thanks all

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1921189_10200593377716362_424363689_o_zps93a76469.jpg

H220 rad in the front with the fill port at the top. i was tilting the computer back at 45 degree angle or so to fill it. and was keep some room for air and just tilting it all back and forth for what seemed like forever.lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-illiterate View Post

can we see some pictures? im trying to figure out how you got the h220 in there and can still bleed it. you did mount the rad in the front of the case didnt you?
uploaded a pic but becuase of my noob status it has to be approved since its an external link. should be coming soon

·
Premium Member
6,198 Posts

have you been lying the case on the i/o side/end to fill and bleed? which side is input on the pump itself? i have no idea but i assume its right inlet and left side outlet?

when you want to post a picture, use the icon above the post with a mountain scene on it. that will put your pic in the post.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

have you been lying the case on the i/o side/end to fill and bleed? which side is input on the pump itself? i have no idea but i assume its right inlet and left side outlet?

when you want to post a picture, use the icon above the post with a mountain scene on it. that will put your pic in the post.
Correct laying it on the rear (IO side) to fill it and rocking it around from that point to bleed it. Inlet on the pump is one the left in the picture, drawing directly from the swiftech front res (where I'm filling), It then goes out the pump, into rear rad, out of rear rad into gpu, back from gpu to front rad and repeat.

And thanks for the heads up on the pictures. On other forums I always just post embed external links.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
H220 is not fun to bleed I had one of the original ones and it did not end up ever being quiet even before expansion. What kind of noises are you hearing to think its not bled?

Pump may be to blame not air.

I bought a fitting, clamp and large 1/2 in tubing and fitting for the rad/res of the H220 helps for filling/draining and attempting to bleed it.

Some people say putting in a res will help. In my case it did not and had to be rma'd I ended up selling the RMA and going full custom.

Also having rads in between components doesn't change temps. The water moves so fast in a loop that it will reach a certain temp no matter how its setup. I would suggest getting the smallest tubing runs you can while still being able to move things if necessary.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

have you checked the speed of the pump? you could hook the pump up to a fan controller when you bleed it, thats what i did. then when you 'think' its bled, hook it back up to the motherboard and check your 'fan' curve and rpm.
Pump was 12v when i was bleeding most of it. Ive tried changing speeds while its running now and it doesnt seem to do much
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnilly007 View Post

H220 is not fun to bleed I had one of the original ones and it did not end up ever being quiet even before expansion. What kind of noises are you hearing to think its not bled?

Pump may be to blame not air.

I bought a fitting, clamp and large 1/2 in tubing and fitting for the rad/res of the H220 helps for filling/draining and attempting to bleed it.

Some people say putting in a res will help. In my case it did not and had to be rma'd I ended up selling the RMA and going full custom.

Also having rads in between components doesn't change temps. The water moves so fast in a loop that it will reach a certain temp no matter how its setup. I would suggest getting the smallest tubing runs you can while still being able to move things if necessary.
I can just here what sounds like turbulence, jostling of little bubbles around the pump. I think I have most worked out now though. and as to your comment about positioning not being significant, that was another reason why i questioned flow. When it was in my first config, the rear rad would be ~8 degrees C hotter than the front rad. Component temps were otherwise fine and pump was at 100%. I know the pump is operating correctly at least in terms of rpm as my mobo has the fan utility that can monitor activity.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Yeah the pump ran fine was just noisy like humbled system all the time. Temps were fine and reported rpms but the point of waving is lower noise not worse.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnilly007 View Post

Yeah the pump ran fine was just noisy like humbled system all the time. Temps were fine and reported rpms but the point of waving is lower noise not worse.
i mean this has a hum too it but id expect that out of anything running at 2500+ rpm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts