Overclock.net banner

Expectations for buyers, sellers, and traders

23817 Views 30 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  The Duke
While all transactions are strictly between the members involved, the following expectations should be helpful in reducing problems in conducting transactions. There's really no magic formula to a good transaction. If all parties communicate well and conscientiously perform their duties in a timely manner, issues will be kept to a minimum.

Please attempt to resolve any issues with the other party in the transaction, and if a resolution cannot be reached, please follow Rule #18 of the For Sale Wanted Section Rules.

Buyers

• Ask questions of seller prior to sending payment including requesting delivery confirmation, tracking, and/or insurance, if desired and offered
  • Send payment and shipping address in a timely manner
  • Let seller know that item(s) have arrived, and communicate any problems encountered
  • Leave iTrader ratings at the conclusion of the transaction

Sellers

• Accurately describe item(s) for sale including price, shipping options (services and destinations), and payment methods accepted
  • Reply to buyer questions in a timely manner
  • Provide payment information in a timely manner
  • Securely package item(s) for shipping
  • Let buyer know that item(s) have shipped including tracking number, if applicable
  • Work with buyer if problems are encountered
  • Sellers are to sell items at the known RRP at the time of purchase or below the price to which they purchased it for. We will not accept sellers selling to make a profit. Proof of purchase may be necessary in some cases.

Traders

• Ask questions and clearly define terms of transaction such as timing of shipments (concurrent shipping or shipping upon receipt) and shipping service used
  • Provide shipping address in a timely manner
  • Securely package item(s) for shipping
  • Let other party know that item(s) have shipped including tracking number, if applicable
  • Let other party know that item(s) have arrived, and communicate any problems encountered
  • Work with other party if problems are encountered
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Premium Member
24,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Bump - this is excellent information for all of us, newbie and veteran traders alike.

Perhaps something else to keep in mind is that you should make sure you trust your buyer/seller! Get their information so that, even though we never expect it to happen, if something does go awry you have some recourse and can contact local PD or another agency that can help you recover your item or your money. Unfortunately, there are plenty of scammers on the internet; however, things like proper communication and exchange of information can help to make life a lot harder for them.

· Premium Member
14,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp
View Post

Bump - this is excellent information for all of us, newbie and veteran traders alike.

Perhaps something else to keep in mind is that you should make sure you trust your buyer/seller! Get their information so that, even though we never expect it to happen, if something does go awry you have some recourse and can contact local PD or another agency that can help you recover your item or your money. Unfortunately, there are plenty of scammers on the internet; however, things like proper communication and exchange of information can help to make life a lot harder for them.

Also sometimes its best to google their username/e-mail address. I have pulled out of a couple of deals after discovering less than reputable trading on other sites.

· Premium Member
10,956 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeejunky
View Post

Also sometimes its best to google their username/e-mail address. I have pulled out of a couple of deals after discovering less than reputable trading on other sites.

Good advice there !

A while ago I did this to someone here on OCN who I thought scammed me. We did a crosstrade but I never received anything, and the person never went online again. I used his email to find his profile on another site and found out that he had shipped his items to the wrong address. He called the random person and she's shipping it back to him with his money, and then back to me, lol. There was a heatsink in the package so shipping was about 20$ each time, so 60$ ouch.

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Agreed, very good advice, but it still didn't help me getting scammed twice on OCN. I just don't understand why people feel the need to be scumbags, especially ripping off a military veteran (like myself)
. I'm sure their moms are proud of their crimes. The most recent scammer was a trusted trader here. For anyone else who gets scammed,
ic3.gov is another way of filing a complaint. Good luck!

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProjecT TimeZ
View Post

How'd you get scammed?
By who, report them also!

1) Jarrstin refused to pay $50 for item that was traded for when he didn't send it.
2)
So buyer beware, trader rating means squat to me, but it takes a BIG man to steal from a Military veteran with everything going on nowadays.

· Registered
706 Posts
whats the best way to do a trade when dealing with expensive items, like $300+?
Agree to ship on the same day and provide tracking and sig confirmation? Exchange phone numbers/ scan of Id's? Im interested in offering a high value trades but wary of potential problems..

How would you go about it?

· Premium Member
12,254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghozt302 View Post
whats the best way to do a trade when dealing with expensive items, like $300+?
Agree to ship on the same day and provide tracking and sig confirmation? Exchange phone numbers/ scan of Id's? Im interested in offering a high value trades but wary of potential problems..

How would you go about it?
Say that you won't deal with people less than x number of reps/trader reps. Or say that the person with lower trader reps ships first. That doesn't work out so well in your case though

· Registered
706 Posts
yeah I use my eBay ID to help assure buyers/sellers of my "trustworthiness" I'm 120+ sales 100% positive there. But I'd rather be here to help out members in the OC' scene and other obvious reasons.

· Registered
3,291 Posts
And if money is traded via paypal and the buyer still has not recieved the merchandise in question?? I have that situation going on right now... I have not idea whom to turn to except launch a claim with paypal..

· Premium Member
51,319 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soth7676 View Post
And if money is traded via paypal and the buyer still has not recieved the merchandise in question?? I have that situation going on right now... I have not idea whom to turn to except launch a claim with paypal..
If the issue was here @ ocn, review the For Sale Rules and seek the appropriate staff for help.
Regardless of where it happened, take it up with paypal if you have been wronged.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.