Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my automotive class, we are assigned tables that each have a computer at them. They're all old HP's running on an AMD 3600+ CPU.

I got permission from my teacher to Fold on it 24/7 ("You want to do what with it? Yeah... sure..."). I can't install any programs on it (no Admin rights, couldn't get HFM) so what should I be expecting out of this thing for folding 24/7? Would it even be worth my time?

Also, if it is worth my bother (having to go through the trouble of finding the shortcut, THEN double-clicking, THEN looking at a black console window
), what flags should I set it at?

Thanks in advance.

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
3,104 Posts
dont expect much. My 3500+ was very poor at folding, and if i was lucky it would finish a WU once every 3-4 days. AT BEST, you are looking at around 100-200 PPD, depending on how much the work units are worth. You would have better results putting a 8400GS or a 4350 in the a64 rig you want to fold on and do it that way.

• Rep+
Reactions: Detroitsoldier

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrious
View Post

dont expect much. My 3500+ was very poor at folding, and if i was lucky it would finish a WU once every 3-4 days. AT BEST, you are looking at around 100-200 PPD, depending on how much the work units are worth. You would have better results putting a 8400GS or a 4350 in the a64 rig you want to fold on and do it that way.

Alright, thanks for the help. Not worth the school's energy then.

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
3,104 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitsoldier
View Post

Alright, thanks for the help. Not worth the school's energy then.

do you fold on your rig? If hyperthreading is enabled, you can get the SMP client, and set it to use anywhere from 3-5 threads and have it hit close to 1500 PPD, with one WU done every 4-8 hours. Toss in your GPU and increase the number of SMP threads to 7, and you will crank close to 2200-2400 PPD. A better GPU will greatly increase that.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Quote:

View Post

do you fold on your rig? If hyperthreading is enabled, you can get the SMP client, and set it to use anywhere from 3-5 threads and have it hit close to 1500 PPD, with one WU done every 4-8 hours. Toss in your GPU and increase the number of SMP threads to 7, and you will crank close to 2200-2400 PPD. A better GPU will greatly increase that.

AMD does not have hyperthreading.

Edit: Nevermind... Misread the post.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quote:

View Post

More like 18-20k PPD with bonuses
- so yeah it would be a lot more worthwhile to fold on your i7 than those 3600's.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

View Post

Um.. I fold -bigadv and get 33k PPD. Folding a 2686 right now. Thanks for the... advice, though.
Was just trying to see if the 3600+ would benefit alongside my current rig.

·
Premium Member
9,380 Posts
if you have a whole lab full of them, thats 20x~200(PPD), thats 4000 ppd.

Not really worth the effort.

Buy a 9800GT, and put it in one of the school computers, and you will fold better.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reflex99
View Post

if you have a whole lab full of them, thats 20x~200(PPD), thats 4000 ppd.

Not really worth the effort.

Buy a 9800GT, and put it in one of the school computers, and you will fold better.

How's that not worth the effort? 4000 ppd adds up, in a week thats ~28000 points. In a month thats over 100,000 points. You are right about the 9800 gt though.

·
Premium Member
9,380 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dude120
View Post

How's that not worth the effort? 4000 ppd adds up, in a week thats ~28000 points. In a month thats over 100,000 points. You are right about the 9800 gt though.

20X65w=1300w=3.08ppd per watt

a 9800GT does 5kppd, for ~75w=66ppd per watt

The amount of electricity required for 20 3600+'s would do more harm to the environment (most electricity is produced/supplemented with coal) than folding does good.

I'm not disputing that every bit helps, I am saying that this would not be worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.