Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone give me an expected lifetime for a rig folding 24/7 and gpu also, with the cpu slightly oc'd with a good aftermarket cooler?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Xigmatek S1283...

Just check it fits in your case.

Not sure if you meant recommend you a cooler?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol i meant the expected life of the rig with a aftermarket cooler

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Each system is different, and each component is different. I have had PSU's go out after 6 months. I have had identical PSU's keep going. It's really hard to tell. If I were to guess, I would say that I folding rig should last at least a couple of years(if not longer). If that rig had a mild overclock and was ran 24/7.

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
The rig will last many years. I remember an article by intel saying that their CPUs will last 10+ years loaded 24/7. As long as its cooled well and voltages are safe it should last long enough that it is cheap to replace when its dies. I expect 5+ years.

Edit: As gibby pointed out with the PSU, if you don't have stable voltage at your house you can kill PSUs quickly. They are the only component that I have killed except for mobos and RAM while being stupid.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Easily over 7 year's with a stock HSF, with a after market one, the PSU or RAM is more likely to die first.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
k, thanks . i just need something to last me a year or two, then it will be time to upgrade again

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Don't forget to buy a UPS. That'll save your bacon more times than you really want to contemplate.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Keep the system cool and keep the air moving. It'll out live you!

I still got my 486 from 1993. Runs gooooooood.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Lifespan of a rig depends on its maintenance. If you make sure you replace TIM every now and then, give it a good dusting, and don't fiddle around. I believe you can have a rig running as long as you want to

Quote:

I still got my 486 from 1993. Runs gooooooood.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts