Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
The Newt in Overclock.net
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running a Heakiller 3.0 LT in my loop.
My i7 runs really hot compared to others I've seen.
4.3ghz @ 1.28V I idle around 38c (which is fine) but under load it immediately hits the mid 60's and eventually works its way into the low-mid 70's where it settles. If I kill the stress testing it drops immediately down to very low 40's and settles back in the high 30's after a minute or two.

I've always felt like the HK just cant pull heat off this thing fast enough to keep it cool.

I eventually got around to lapping the CPU and block (400-600-800-1000-1500) and didn't see any decrease at all. I've reseated and tried different mounting positions and pressure applications. No help at all. It seems with this block and this CPU I'm doomed to hit 70C

Water temps only rise 2c under full CPU load (from 28C to 30C - sensor in reservoir, before radiator)

Last time I flushed my loop the block was perfect. I only use PT + Distilled.

If I'm folding on my GTX480 + CPU I have no doubt it'd be in the 80's.

So anyways, enough with the background.
I'm thinking about an EK Supreme HF. But I can't justify the cost if it's not going to help me much.

Any advice?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deagle50ae View Post
I'm currently running a Heakiller 3.0 LT in my loop.
My i7 runs really hot compared to others I've seen.
4.3ghz @ 1.28V I idle around 38c (which is fine) but under load it immediately hits the mid 60's and eventually works its way into the low-mid 70's where it settles. If I kill the stress testing it drops immediately down to very low 40's and settles back in the high 30's after a minute or two.

I've always felt like the HK just cant pull heat off this thing fast enough to keep it cool.

I eventually got around to lapping the CPU and block (400-600-800-1000-1500) and didn't see any decrease at all. I've reseated and tried different mounting positions and pressure applications. No help at all. It seems with this block and this CPU I'm doomed to hit 70C

Water temps only rise 2c under full CPU load (from 28C to 30C - sensor in reservoir, before radiator)

Last time I flushed my loop the block was perfect. I only use PT + Distilled.

If I'm folding on my GTX480 + CPU I have no doubt it'd be in the 80's.

So anyways, enough with the background.
I'm thinking about an EK Supreme HF. But I can't justify the cost if it's not going to help me much.

Any advice?
Hows your pump? It might not have the power to push the water.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
The jump may be at the most 1-3 degrees if thats important to you then pull the trigger. I wouldn't.

·
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pump is fine (or it should be). Even when I was running just the CPU/mobo in the loop temps were very similar.

My GTX 480 loads in the low 50's with tons of volts which is where everybody else is at.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deagle50ae View Post
Pump is fine (or it should be). Even when I was running just the CPU/mobo in the loop temps were very similar.

My GTX 480 loads in the low 50's with tons of volts which is where everybody else is at.
Try rotating the block 90 degrees, as i wrote 1 post up and make sure that its not touching any capacitors.

·
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No cap contact and the last thing I tried was a 90-degree rotation. Skinnee Labs reports have outlet facing toward the rear i/o ports gives the best temperatures. I've tried 2 rotations now: no noticable improvement.

I'm pretty convinced I just have a really warm chip.

TIM is MX3, I've tried MX2, OCZ Freeze, and IC-Diamond. All withing a degree or two of eachother. Over time I've done the credit-card spread, pea-dot, cross pattern: no real differences.

·
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya know, I'm sitting here thinking MAYBE there is something wrong with my baseplate... grooves not deep enough or something, but then I remembered that about 6-months ago I picked up an Apogee XT and the temperature improvement was negligible at best.

It's not a radiator problem as I've been through 4 radiators with this rig (HE120.3, Coolstream 120.2, XSPC 120.3, now Feser 120.4)

·
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphus1
View Post

My 930's at 35-40 idle and hits 70-75 prime95
1.3 vcore
4.02 GHz

Yes, but I have $500 in cooling gear.

At 4ghz I'm mid 50's full load.

·
Registered
547 Posts
hi there,

a couple of things:

1. what's your ambient? this matters a great deal. when you mean load, what load was it? p95, ibt?
2. what fans are you using? rpm?
3. between your block and the ek, there's only a few degrees difference. very minimal.
4. if you can please post a picture of your setup
5. lapping doesn't help the HKs. it's proven.

wes

·
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwesley
View Post

hi there,

a couple of things:

1. what's your ambient? this matters a great deal. when you mean load, what load was it? p95, ibt?
2. what fans are you using? rpm?
3. between your block and the ek, there's only a few degrees difference. very minimal.
4. if you can please post a picture of your setup
5. lapping doesn't help the HKs. it's proven.

wes

I load with ITB
Ambient 23c
4 x gentle typhoons. 1500rpm for benching
No time for a pic now. On my phone. Lunch break

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
not sure if it has anything to do with this but try tilting your rad on its side so the fans are pulling in air from outside the case. I used to run the fans facing up like you but i saw a good 2-3c drop in temps just from that. btw i'd expect a 1-2c drop from the ek.

whats that gray pad your case is laying on btw?

·
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Intake temps aren't really a concern right now and I prefer the radiator exhausting out the bottom. My water temperature sees very little rise over ambient and is only 4c over ambient. It gets plenty of air to breathe with the 1.5" tall feet on it.
The surface the case is on is 3/8" phenolic. It's a "maintenance slide"
It allows me to pull the whole case forward on 18" extending/sliding rails to work on it or fiddle with wires. All of the wires are enclosed in an energy chain that keeps the lengths constant so when I pull it forward nothing gets tugged.

Thanks for all the input everybody.
It looks like I just have a hot chip.
If I get a chance, maybe I'll try another pump, but for now it looks like I just have to deal with not being able to pull heat off the IHS fast enough to keep up.

+Rep to all those who added value to this thread.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wait, you're using the warm air from the case to cool your rad? If you wanna see some better temps ALWAYS feed your rad fresh cool air. Turn your fans around and I bet you see a noticeable improvement.

With that said though, your temps aren't bad at all. Sound about normal for your setup and OC.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stridarn View Post
Have you ever lapped your CPU?
Yep he mentioned it in the 1st post.

One last thing, can you touch your block when your pc is in operation? is it cold, room temp or hot?

If it's cold or room temp, it's working. If it's hot, there's something wrong.

Your temps are odd. My 920 at 29c ambient running 39c @ 1.39v. Heat output is directly related to voltage. It's very strange to have a > 10c DT when you are on a 480 rad on idle. I am almost 100% sure that it's not your chip.

Wes

1 - 20 of 50 Posts