Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I wanted extreme cooling but was looking around and the least expensive phase change system was ~$500, so what do I do? I make my own. I used a CO2 fire extinguisher and thats about it (I know i should use condensation proofing/fancy thermal compound but I didn't). There is still a few bugs to work out but I'll post them later when i fix them. most notably is my motherboard sucks for overclocking and the capacitors on it wont even work at room temperature let alone sub zero temps, but with out further adeu, my "phase change system." and until i get the cap problem fixed, no temps.

·
Registered
965 Posts
You know what would actually be really cool lol, if that fire extinguishers hose is 1/2" ID, and you could hook it up to a water block, then have the output of hte waterblock like going out your window so you dont get sick from it lol...

Then just give her a nice blast through your block

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
OMG, you are nuts!

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME GUYS UNLESS YOU HAVE A VERY WELL VENTILATED AREA(OUTSIDE).

As The Bartender noticed, CO2 is poisonous, and can cause death. The last thing I want is to have to write an obituary for an Overclock.net member.

BTW, that fire extinguisher foam can't be good for your computer.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towlieee

You know what would actually be really cool lol, if that fire extinguishers hose is 1/2" ID, and you could hook it up to a water block, then have the output of hte waterblock like going out your window so you dont get sick from it lol...

Then just give her a nice blast through your block

thats what im thinkin about dooing and yes its 1/2 in. now i just gotta find me a waterblock. anyone wanna donate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

BTW, that fire extinguisher foam can't be good for your computer.

its not foam, its dry ice.

oh, and yea DONT TRY THIS AT HOME, I am a trained profesonal(seriously, i work on the fire department) and am using personal protective equiptment and a positive preasure fan to vent the room. besides getting co2 poisoning you can get frostbite and seriously dammage your computer. also co2 extinguishers (especially large ones) are notably loud and long exposure can dammage your ears.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bartender Paradox
its not foam, its dry ice.

Nice indeed!
Extremely ghetto, but nice.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

once i get this all finished and the bugs worked out does anyone think i should make a guide on it?
No, we want to give information to our members that is safer for both the system and the owner.

·
Registered
712 Posts
But 99% of the Info we do give out COULD lead to fire hazards, void warranties, electric shock, melted components.... need I go on?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:

once i get this all finished and the bugs worked out does anyone think i should make a guide on it?
yes absolutely post a guide...... thats great....kinda ghetto, but great none the lesss. So if you can post the temps on that new cooling system that'd be good too. ***** thats funny

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fianly ive gotten around to going to the hardware store to pick up some parts to make this mod better and this is waht i have so far now.

pic 1. most of the parts im using: hose clamp, 1/2in washer(only 1 was used) end cap, pipe stuff, and copper flashing(for the cold plate(not used in this phase)

2. more parts: washing machine hose, and a coke can.

3. as you can see ive drilled a hole in the end cap and cut off one end of the hose and put the hose clamp on.

4. this is what i did to the can: cut out the top, drilled a hole in the bottom, and drilled a hole in the side

5. this is the compleated can. the wahing machine hose is sticking out the side as exaust and the pipe thing is in the top hole with the end cap screwed on the end on the inside.

stay tuned for my next post of more pics.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alright here is more of the near compleated project

pic 1. i removed the end of the fire extinguisher hose and

2. attached the coke can assambely. alright! ready for testing!

3. first i fired it straight to see if it would work at all, then

4. i fired it off holding the top of the coke can against a board to test the exaust system. i need to put a much better seal on it for it to work.

any way i need more parts and things to get this working on my comp. ill give more pics and temps when i have it working in my comp...

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Snap! helluva sweet project you have going there! although you'd need to keep it going all the time though...kinda sucks...adn what if you run out!?
:swearing:
..sheesh, i have too many smilies in my favorites...but anyway, it looks like an aweomse project, keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATVkid*AFZ*

Snap! helluva sweet project you have going there! although you'd need to keep it going all the time though...kinda sucks...adn what if you run out!?
:swearing:
..sheesh, i have too many smilies in my favorites...but anyway, it looks like an aweomse project, keep us posted!

when i fire the extinguisher in a 5 second blast it creats enough dry ice to last 2-3 minuets. when it runs out i can(hopefully ...
) get a refill for the canister.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.