Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont worry it wont be another "i spent fortune on game" rant. I will split this article and focus on two games, and the way how social media are affecting the public opinion.

1. World of Tanks.

I have been playing it for 2 years as free user. Had over 6500 battles, and i preferred random ones while using Tank Destroyers, either Hetzer or Jagdpanther (hence my avatar). My goal with the game was simply to play few 15 minute rounds a day and have some fun.

Even when premium ammo became a thing, i realy did not felt the urge to use it. I was mainly using high proficient tank crew I had and precise aims of the tank destroyer.

2. Archeage
This game has been widely criticized for its payment model and i clearly understand outrage of many potential players. I have decided to give the game a shot. When progressing the firran racial quests i realized, i didnt had so much fun since Diablo II, and i really liked the overall game system. RNG at the first time was terrible, over the years has been tuned down a lot.

After three months as non-patron i tried to purchase patron and keept it active via Apexes purchased via ingame gold (eg, somebody was receiving my gold, publisher received money from somebody else, but not me, i received the credits/patron status). After another 6 months i decided to become a subscriber and pay with money for the patron status.

The bad things on AA market:
It offers loot boxes. I never felt into craze when new one was released. As they contain items which are considered a resource, and their purchase was never limited it can be considered as RNG driven P2W. But instead of buying direct advantage, you get "lottery ticket" instead.

One such craze however followed when "Archeum crate" was introduced and it offered two important resources. One of them being Archeum which was key resoure to craft any gear item. The thing was, once 3rd continent was released, Archeum was no longer "drop only", and it could grow on Auroria farms. So... initial advantage provided by Archeum crates, was soon negated by making it widely available.

The good things on Archeage market/subscription:
Game never offered high-level weapons or armor. What is offered is in 90% of cases cosmetic item, in 10% item/buff which offers economic advantage. And here is the catch. Even when labor system is considered to be an invective to force players to pay, if you do that, and you get more labor it does not allow you to skip any ingame progression. it will require you to spend more time ingame to actually use tha labor in effective manner.

From the traditional "whale" perspective, this is no win. You dont get a way how to dominate, you dont get a way how to spend less time ingame, if you pay you actually have to spend MORE time ingame. After first three months when game was up, whales started to die out. Their initial investment mostly vaporized due existing RNG mechanics, and they could not keep up the pace. The game itself does not reward for big spending, while the progressing even with patron status is long-term run.

I tend to criticize that multiaccounting is tolerated, within such system. You might meet many obvious alt characters doing mundane crafting or harvesting.

The thing is that everything ingame is crafted - including the gold which originates from spending labor. Due this, items - and battlegear especially - dont appear out of thin air. The system was later improved, and purchasing labor potion (as an economic advantage) has been removed from credit shop, however loot boxes remain so far.

I decided to have one character, no alts, not spend money on RNG boxes and i genuinely enjoy the content, even when i am not at Top100 players in gear score, and I refuse to play some ridiculously broken builds. The reason why i like Archeage is that it reminds me of Ultima Online. The game has its major flaws, such as sloppy coded engine, various glitches, gear gap, tolerance to multiaccounting + the lootboxes. People who are playing it for some time, would see those issues fixed, and to switch to "pay to play" mode - as it would move the game from the radar of trolls...

3. Social media ...
Its nothing special when ingame forums are being plagued with trolls, yet i started to notice some patterns. Certain posters were using variants of english which is typical for south-east Asia or eastern Europe. Then i found that you can get a job as a "blogger", an example:
https://www.freelancer.com/projects/social-media-marketing/are-looking-for-people-that/
You might notice that certain big companies/games are not represented on the list.

I found out that some of those people were writing on forums of different MMOs. They usually used exactly same strategies:
- "I was banned for no reason"
- "I cannot connect"
- "support is not helping me"
- "its pay to win"
- Asking to fix a bug or ingame problem which was fixed years ago.
- "I spent fortune on the game" posts

They never replied to following offers/question:
- "I will help you, on which server do you play."
- "In which guild are you?"
- To any question which was related to ingame systems
- In one case I even managed to challenge the troll-poster by his real name, and he never showed up again
smile.gif

Such trolls had always in common to use as a primary source for posting troll requests old and outdated sources, in cases I was observing main source of information was Reddit, especially very old posts. One of the prime example is channel of dude called "nerdslayer":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyLdfaUTJP8

1. He did not used any original footage. He took videos of other youtubers.
2. He cited Reddit all the time, usually outdated sources.
3. He did some crucial mistakes:
a) https://youtu.be/WyLdfaUTJP8?t=28m3s
That shows korean version of the game, which has different publisher.

b) https://youtu.be/WyLdfaUTJP8?t=31m13s
This is not a functional hack, but a phishing program which is used to steal your account.

c) https://youtu.be/WyLdfaUTJP8?t=28m49s
This page of "P2W" items contain character-bound cosmetic items for non-combat pets.

Because of these three reasons I am absolutely conviced he is a liar.

I had most fun when recently Watch Mojo released this:
https://youtu.be/_O97Ctjby1c

Archeage was released in NA/EU during 2014, and was around at time when they made their first "Top 10 Worst P2W games", but they did not featured it. It looks hillarious to me that it was out two weeks after Battlefront II was criticized at unprecedented scale for lootboxes, while not listing it
biggrin.gif

Listing Archeage now as top worst game, makes no sense compared to Battlefront II. Also they did not mentioned single relevant mechanic from the game, and still they managed to get a lot of things incorrectly. Archeage does not have "apex credits", as those are two separate things. They also mentioned "after its launch", as they have little to no knowledge that new dungeons provided viable gearing path (Mistsong gear/weapons) for free players. Anyway, saying two sentenced within 50 seconds about "the worst one" basically explains how few reasons they had to made it Nr1. As in case of NerdSlayer they did not used footage of their own, but took one from streamer. And its absolutely clear they never heard about game called Bless Online, which offers top ingame gear, only for payment.

Therefore i have following advices:

a) If you seem to like the game from screens/video/official information about it, give it a try.
b) Try to play as free player, then decide if its worth to pay.
This is actually the first thing i mention to anyone who starts play Archeage. Go through initial quest line (can be done within week), then decide if you like it,

c) If the game offers ingame market take some time, check what it contains:
Game gear - red flag
Top game gear, which can be obtained only by paying - ultrared flag
Cosmetic items - green flag, but check whether those items can be sold for ingame currency, and if the price for such stuff isnt too high
Lootboxes - their content matters. If its necessary for progressing or something mentioned above, dont pay.

d) Game offers a subscription, what does it offer?
- Progression after certain level (as in Wow post 30lvl). See point B.
- Features locked for free players (in case of Archeage)?
Congratulations, in both cases you played and experienced a free demo.

e) Does the premium features matter in game?
- In case of World of Tanks i never saw that premium ammo increased statistics of otherwise clumsy player. In case of tanks, T-59 was THE case of P2W advantage, but it was being constantly nerfed since it was introduced.
- In case of WoW, payment becomes mandatory.
- In case of Archeage, you can decide whether to stay free player (and turn it into sort of hardcore mode), you may buy Apex for gold and be patron this way, without spending real money (sort of similar to EVE online), or to pay for subscription. Being a patron does not offer any combat advantage, it offers more labor to spend, possibilty to build houses, and thus overall economical advantage, for faster progression.

And the most importantly - make your own opinion, based on experience.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Try Planetside 2 its awesome

·
Registered
333 Posts
I played Archeage for the first ~4 months, the game was filled with hackers... its one of those games where most of the game was good but poor management led to a huge mess

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by microchidism View Post

I played Archeage for the first ~4 months, the game was filled with hackers... its one of those games where most of the game was good but poor management led to a huge mess
Not that many hacks, rather bots.

Well, the game was originally delivered with HackShield. It was delivered like that by XL games (you can tell that because it was embedded into certain game files), and it never worked. So at that time it was XL Games "taking care" of safety.

After it phased out by december 2015 (end of support), in Korea XL Games chosen Gameguard (which does not work at all), Trion used their own solution which works much better, For example they added server-side speed check. If you move faster as its possible you get autoban. Similar for bot checking.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
1,688 Posts
I'll always recommend Path of Exile for people into Diablo-style hack and slash RPGs. The only microtransactions are cosmetic, so although characters sometimes look bland without paying, you can still be just as powerful as anybody else.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offler View Post

Not that many hacks, rather bots.

Well, the game was originally delivered with HackShield. It was delivered like that by XL games (you can tell that because it was embedded into certain game files), and it never worked. So at that time it was XL Games "taking care" of safety.

After it phased out by december 2015 (end of support), in Korea XL Games chosen Gameguard (which does not work at all), Trion used their own solution which works much better, For example they added server-side speed check. If you move faster as its possible you get autoban. Similar for bot checking.
Not sure if you were around for Auroria, but with the shortage of land Auroria was expected to free some up.

Our guild got 200+ members together and claimed a castle (after a castle is claimed then people could get plots on that island). Within half a second every plot of land was claimed remotely. No one in our guild got a single plot of land.

Normally one would expect it to take a day or two for every plot to be taken, but this took half a second.

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by microchidism View Post

Not sure if you were around for Auroria, but with the shortage of land Auroria was expected to free some up.

Our guild got 200+ members together and claimed a castle (after a castle is claimed then people could get plots on that island). Within half a second every plot of land was claimed remotely. No one in our guild got a single plot of land.

Normally one would expect it to take a day or two for every plot to be taken, but this took half a second.
I have been around, but in EU, not NA. The thing was that client had no distance limit to drop a property. You actually did not need a hack for that, not even army of alts. Pretty serious bug which nobody in Korea @ XL noticed for two years
biggrin.gif

Not sure if the Trion decided to demolish all the properties, or it took 2 weeks until they drop by themselves.

Later they introduced a distance limit on property drop (like 30 meters) and you could drop only 2 unbuild properties before dropping another one.

Many stupid bugs have been fixed since then. Such as the method how teleport a vehicle, loaded with packs. usually it was all the same. Crappy coding by XL Games. Such things were usually not a hack, rather than missing condition on certain actions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts