Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
how two spel
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is interested in clarifying the scientific differences between water and air cooling it would be greatly appreciated. I have a water cooled computer, and my brother has a similar one on air. I am testing the scientific differences between the 2 methods of cooling.

Anyways, my post is here if you don't mind contributing.

Thank you.

http://www.overclock.net/school-help...ct-air-vs.html

·
404 ERROR
925 Posts
It's all about the specific heat capacity (Cp) of water vs. air. Simply put, water's is higher. This means that it takes more energy to heat up water than to heat up air, so the cpu can dump more heat into the water without heating it up as much as it would heat up the air.

Thermal Properties of Water Cp = 4.187 kJ/kg-K
Thermal Properties of Air Cp @ 20C = 1.005 kJ/kg-K

There is also the thermal conductivity of the two fluids (air is technically a fluid). Air has a thermal conductivity of 0.024 W/m-K while water has a thermal conductivity of 0.58 w/m-k. This allows the heat to transfer to the water more quickly than it does to the air. But in the end, even the water cooling system is cooled by air (think about how a radiator works), so the thermal conductivity part is less important.

·
how two spel
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by turbocharged
View Post

It's all about the specific heat capacity of water vs. air. Simply put, water's is higher. This means that it takes more energy to heat up water than to heat up air, so the water can remove more heat per unit mass and stay cooler than air.

Thermal Properties of Water
Thermal Properties of Air

Thank you, REP +1!

·
how two spel
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyone who has contributed so far, really been a great help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts