Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by prodigyru

Sup all. I need a little help from the experts on which ram would be the best for my system:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubCategory=147

I'm not familiar with either of the Mushkin sticks, but I have that OCZ and it's good for 230 mhz at 2.5 3 2 6 1T with less than 2.8 volts and has a lifetime warranty. I guess it comes down to what settings you're going to run with your cpu and what your goals are.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
if you had to pick from those 4 kits, Id pick the ocz gold gx

I would recommend taking a look at some of the 2 gig kits from g skill tho... just under $ 200 and they are proving to be awesome

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I would go with the Mushkin out of those sets. I know that a lot of people using 2gb sets are using Mushkin ram because it is highly overclockable. I would also consider a 2gb set from G.skill.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste

What's the rig going to be used for?

I want to upgrade for my rig to 2GB RAM (see signature below). I'm in love with my current 1GB Ballistix but they are a bit pricey for 2GB kits (arround $300)

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

I want to upgrade for my rig to 2GB RAM (see signature below). I'm in love with my current 1GB Ballistix but they are a bit pricey for 2GB kits (arround $300)

Just buy another gig then to save money. DDR is on it's final stretch and you'll be buying DDR2 with your next box, so keep it cheap. It'll run fine and will only matter in benches, so don't fret running 4 DIMMs.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472

Just buy another gig then to save money. DDR is on it's final stretch and you'll be buying DDR2 with your next box, so keep it cheap. It'll run fine and will only matter in benches, so don't fret running 4 DIMMs.

I made a mistake buying 4x512 ram. It killed my overclock. I can only get it to be stable at 2.2GHz with 4 sticks of ram.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

It seems that this particular ram has bad reviews

Show me a single credible negative review that doesn't come from an anonymous NewEgg poster. Keep in mind that Newegg "reviews" have 0 guarantees that the poster has ever even owned the product. If you read enough of those, you'll see that a majority of them don't even understand computers. You'll see lists of what they supposedly own and it will include DDR2 with AMD processor, 2 ATI cards in SLI,etc etc. Show me a legitimate review with negative results....

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

I made a mistake buying 4x512 ram. It killed my overclock. I can only get it to be stable at 2.2GHz with 4 sticks of ram.

That's your motherboard more than anything. If you still have the sticks, I'd get a motherboard, not more ram.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Show me a single credible negative review that doesn't come from an anonymous NewEgg poster. Keep in mind that Newegg "reviews" have 0 guarantees that the poster has ever even owned the product. If you read enough of those, you'll see that a majority of them don't even understand computers. You'll see lists of what they supposedly own and it will include DDR2 with AMD processor, 2 ATI cards in SLI,etc etc. Show me a legitimate review with negative results....

Hmmm Good Point.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

That's your motherboard more than anything. If you still have the sticks, I'd get a motherboard, not more ram.

My MoBo overclocks perfectly. I had owned a Diamond Flower Boards before and this mobo overclocks just as well. With 1GB (2x512) it is perfectly stable at 2.6GHz. But as soon as I add an additional 2 sticks - the entire system craps out. I tried every possible troubleshooting method i knew, losen timings, running at 2T, Dividers etc... but I can only get it to run stable at 240MHz (considering that this ram is rated at 250). It won't even post at 2600.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

My MoBo overclocks perfectly. I had owned a Diamond Flower Boards before and this mobo overclocks just as well. With 1GB (2x512) it is perfectly stable at 2.6GHz. But as soon as I add an additional 2 sticks - the entire system craps out. I tried every possible troubleshooting method i knew, losen timings, running at 2T, Dividers etc... but I can only get it to run stable at 240MHz (considering that this ram is rated at 250). It won't even post at 2600.

Your motherboard is struggling to run 4 DIMMs, that's not uncommon. Yes, 4 sticks is harder on the memory controller on your cpu, but it won't lower your OC enough to be a major issue. The cheaper route is another motherboard and that's what I'd do, but that's just me. I'm more conscious of gpu OC than squeezing an extra 100 mhz out of my cpu because it doesn't matter for 99% of games.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sccr64472 to be honest with you I don't want to switch to another board. Most of good OverClocking boards have this same issue when running 4 sticks of ram (including my previous board DFI Sli-Dr). I see that you are pretty happy with your 2 sticks of 1GB Ram

I'm now down to these 2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubCategory=147

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Quote:

..... exactly!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Quote:

sccr64472 to be honest with you I don't want to switch to another board. Most of good OverClocking boards have this same issue when running 4 sticks of ram (including my previous board DFI Sli-Dr). I see that you are pretty happy with your 2 sticks of 1GB Ram

I'm now down to these 2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubCategory=147

go with the ocz gold, it has slightly tighter timings, so u have a little more room to lossen the timings for that extra little push on max speed

EDIT: did i make sense? hope so... lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts