Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright , today something really funny happened to me.
I recently bought ATI's 4670 HD card + made new windows install on it and since that i were not able to watch any videos (except youtube and other web flash videos) .
I could only hear the sound , but video was black.
I did every possible codec and player , when i say every , then i MEAN it!
So my dad brought some movies and wanted to see them on my PC , and I was like no way , they won't work as my video playing is not working.
He was like lol ok w/e , i'll try it anyways.. I was like you'll see ...
So yea , he tried 3 movies he put on my PC and they all worked brilliant! With actual VIDEO on the screen for the first time in my life (well ok ever since new windows/card
)
Then i was shocked.. Then 30 mins after that , I went to check them myself , and guess what - they were black like usual.
I mean , this is just ridicolous... Does my PC have actual "feelings" ? That it won't obey my commands (as i torture it alot) , and it will my dad's ...
I dunno , I leave this to you!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Something like this did happen to me aswell, but it was with some specific videos like .mkv, .flv, .wmv and .mp4

All i had to do was unistall all my codecs and i only installed CCCP (combined community codec pack) and after that it worked. (i had to reboot after install)

At some point my AUDIO stopped working too, i would play games, music etc and get no audio, but it was because one codec had taken over the sound system and was recording the sound instead of sending it to speakers.

So, aside from youtube and flash videos, what other extentions did you try:

dvd-rom
mov
flv
mwv
mp4
avi
mp2
mpeg
mkv
dvx
swf

etc....

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrackClocker
View Post

Yep, your computer is like an onion, it has layers.

My Ogre is like a computer...

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i tried mkv , mp4 , flv , avi , divx , mwv , mpeg , and few more i'd say..
And yea i'm going to try that out nevaziah , hope it works =/

Transhour :
I tried loads of players , VLC player , GOM player , powerDVD , windows media player classic and a few more i'd say..
Not only dvd's

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Are all of the pertinent drivers installed? If yes then I would uninstall all your codecs and reboot and then install cccp like Nevaziah said, or k-lite codec pack which I'm partial to.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All gfx drivers are OK!
And yea i had that k-lite pack , didnt help.
Also , isn't it quite weird that it wants to play them sometimes (when my dad requests it) and most of the time no?

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
It's CLEARLY explainable..

He's the FONZ! `Heeeeeyyyy`

FYI : For those of you, most of you, who were not alive in that decade of Happy Days the Fonz used to knock things with his hand/body etc and they would magically work.

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Oh damn... if we're gonna get into the Fonz Effect then we might as well not even try to troubleshoot anymore...

Seriously though, there have been studies done where one group of people are told to watch the outcomes of a random number generator -- while another group was told to try to influence the output of the RNG -- the results were compared statistically and showed that the numbers generated for the group trying to influence them were not "random" anymore -- apparently they did have some sort of effect on the outcome.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by superon View Post
Oh damn... if we're gonna get into the Fonz Effect then we might as well not even try to troubleshoot anymore...

Seriously though, there have been studies done where one group of people are told to watch the outcomes of a random number generator -- while another group was told to try to influence the output of the RNG -- the results were compared statistically and showed that the numbers generated for the group trying to influence them were not "random" anymore -- apparently they did have some sort of effect on the outcome.
I know I've scared a few computers straight in my time...

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Llama View Post
I know I've scared a few computers straight in my time...
Exactly... show them your pimp hand and I doubt you'll see as many BSODs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts