Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
After showing to the world its Radeon HD 7970 PCB with all components placed, Yeston disclosed pictures of exactly what it's going to use to cool the beast. Yeston's cooling solution uses two big (probably 120 mm) fans inspired by the design of aircraft turbofans, with 18 blades on its impeller. Such impellers with PC cooling fans aren't new, and have been used in case fans designed by the likes of Cooler Master. However, this could be the first time such fans have been used in a VGA cooler.

Underneath the frame holding the two fans is a large aluminum fin stack-type heatsink that spans almost the entire area of the PCB. A copper base makes contact with the GPU, from it, six copper heat pipes originate, conveying heat to two aluminum fin stacks, which are then ventilated by the two fans. When fully assembled, the cooler is so large that it appears to span across almost four expansion slots. Yeston is reportedly still working on improving the design. Let's hope it gets a lot slimmer than that.
http://www.expreview.com/18239.html

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
big fans do not a great cooler make...

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Amusing to see such a ginormous heatsink for such a tiny die. Put this on Fermi and it will make more sense.

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giver660 View Post

$1 that the TFIII cools better without looking ******ed.
I think this Yeston would cool better. Bigger heatsink and bigger fans.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Four slot cooler, they will be shooting them selves in the foot, almost completely rules out CF

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Doesn't appear to cover VRM and memory.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakermaas View Post

Four slot cooler, they will be shooting them selves in the foot, almost completely rules out CF
on a side-note, CaseLabs orders have risen by 25% since this announcement
lachen.gif

·
PC Gamer
1,163 Posts
Eh the 7970 runs rather cool doesnt it? I dont see the logic in this.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitality View Post

what mobo's support cfx with 4 slots in between?....
and that looks ******ed.
you have a point, i was thinking case size not mobo size...
doh.gif

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
DAM, shudder to think the weight that puts on the PCI-E slot, that will sag like hell after a week or 2.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingforlife View Post

DAM, shudder to think the weight that puts on the PCI-E slot, that will sag like hell after a week or 2.
Can you imagine someone with this and a D14? Anyone wanna get in with me on inventing a motherboard backplate?
lachen.gif

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Slimmer? Who cares?! This looks like this will be real quiet. Plus it screams overclocking...
thumb.gif

wheee.gif
wheee.gif
wheee.gif
1.5K posts
wheee.gif
wheee.gif
wheee.gif

·
Registered
448 Posts
Who cares if no MB supports 4 slots spacing for Crosffire.
I have your answer: PCIe riser cables! inside a CaseLabs or TJ12.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyworks View Post

Doesn't appear to cover VRM and memory.
This ^^

I feel GPU core temps are secondary to proper VRM and assorted power circuitry cooling.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou View Post

I think this Yeston would cool better. Bigger heatsink and bigger fans.
You would think that but the Accelero Xtreme barely cools better than the Zalman VF3000F. The latter of which only totes two smaller fans and is considerably smaller in size, yet manages 95% of the performance of the former while being a good $15 cheaper.
biggrin.gif

1 - 20 of 95 Posts